This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Holy shit, Valve are actually releasing a game for once.

Also, it's just DOTA 2 going gold. But still.
    Never mind Valve releasing a game - we don't even know what they're working on other than Dota 2! All we really know about is the Steam box and the VR guys working on adding Oculus RIft support to games like TF2 and HL2, but they must be working on another game, right?
  • Holy shit, Valve are actually releasing a game for once.

Also, it's just DOTA 2 going gold. But still.
    Never mind Valve releasing a game - we don't even know what they're working on other than Dota 2! All we really know about is the Steam box and the VR guys working on adding Oculus RIft support to games like TF2 and HL2, but they must be working on another game, right?
    Yeah, about that.
  • So, latest rumors (well, some hours old, but still quite fresh) indicate that there might be some kind of game borrowing feature coming to Steam. People have found in Steam's files some strings that would heavily hint towards such system.

It's still little more than random rumors, but I'm interested of seeing if something comes out of this. And how it would work in practice.
  • They should probably can Half Life at this point.
  • I thought Half Life was a really great game. HL2, on the other hand, felt bloated and sluggish, and I've never understood why people said it had a good story. I'd rather a new title with new characters and new worlds to attempting to squeeze more out of Half Life.
  • edited June 2013
    I derped.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • FASCINATING
    I find it extremely surprising that game devs can be so out of touch with the whole ecosystem. How can you make a turn based strategy game and then say "...we didn’t really care if nobody bought it on the PC."?
  • edited June 2013
    FASCINATING
    I find it extremely surprising that game devs can be so out of touch with the whole ecosystem. How can you make a turn based strategy game and then say "...we didn’t really care if nobody bought it on the PC."?
    I'm finding that most companies are completely clueless about their customers in all industries. The exceptions are the greats.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • FASCINATING
    That doesn't really make them out of touch considering it's a quasi-casual turn based game designed primarily for tablets, the standard PC market is secondary literally by design. The thing that does make them out of touch, however, is that they actually believed Windows mobile + surface would garner millions of users who would actually buy their game. Also they thought XBLA was the best place for indie games ahahha.
  • My new favorite video game of all time.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/20/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-combines-ddr-roguelikes/
    Whaaaatttttttt that looks so sick. I wonder how rogue-likey it'll actually be tho.
  • My new favorite video game of all time.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/20/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-combines-ddr-roguelikes/
    Whaaaatttttttt that looks so sick. I wonder how rogue-likey it'll actually be tho.
    Looks more rogue-y than DDR-y.
  • Rogue Legacy comes out next week. Hooray.
  • edited June 2013
    Looks more rogue-y than DDR-y.
    I dunno, it could go either way. I would figure it'll probably play more like a rhythm puzzle game than anything, but it still looks fairly freaking cool!
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Rogue Legacy comes out next week. Hooray.
    Yeahhhh still on the fence about that one. On paper it seemed like a game I would love, but I played the demo and, while I liked it, it didn't particularly grab me. Maybe I need to play more.
  • That game looks like a not very good platforming game, and not a rogue-like at all?? Tales of Maj'Eyal and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup are both insanely good + very free so everyone just play those forever.
  • edited June 2013
    Oh man, I loved the demo. The idea of choosing the next person and them having all these weird traits was really interesting. Plus I enjoy a solid castlevania style platformer.
    That game looks like a not very good platforming game, and not a rogue-like at all?? Tales of Maj'Eyal and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup are both insanely good + very free so everyone just play those forever.
    Dude you can play the demo haha. You don't need to guess what its like. It's definitely roguelike in the sense that it's really hard.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • It's toted as a "rogue-lite." It's rogueish in that you die a lot and get new characters constantly. Also the castle is procedurally generated.
  • Brogue > all current RLs. Get the Oryx tile version for maximum awesome.
  • More than anything it's a pretty solid action platformer with some cool ideas.
  • It's weird that it's called "Rogue Legacy" tho IMO, cause with a name like that I would figure it's more like a straight forward Rogue style, yet modernized game.
    Brogue > all current RLs. Get the Oryx tile version for maximum awesome.
    I played this a little and a fucking monkey stole a potion from me and I couldn't catch the motherfucker.

• I thought Rogue Legacy was a Star Wars game at first.
  • edited June 2013
    Oh shit, son! Half-Life 3!

Alas, I got fooled.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • LOLOL I hope you didn't log into that website.
  • Oh shit, son! Half-Life 3!
    It's not April Fool's Day, is it? Where the fuck is my calendar?!?!
  • Stearnpowered? Looks pretty suspect.
  • Amazingly, it looks like generic trolling instead of a phishing attempt, as all the links actually go back to steampowered.com