This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Red Dead Redemption had 'sub-optimal' aim assist. It would lock onto the target but always give you an instant kill shot. Aim assist often became more of a hindrance in that game because it messed with your trick shooting.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Looks like GTAV has super generous (optional) insta-snap auto aiming, so it'll be just like shooting in any other GTA.
    Saying that shooting is just like any other GTA doesn't mean anything as the shooting in GTAs was fundementally different before IV and it's shitty cover mechanics than after. So, you probably mean "any other GTA after IV", I assume.
    Its been a while since i've played IV or any of the PS2 games, but I recall all combat basically coming down to "tap lock-on, *bap bap bap* tap lock-on, *bap bap bap*, etc".
    Yea, that sounds like old school(er) GTA. IV was; Press go to cover button -> Nico decides to hide behind basketball, instead of the chest high wall, or convinient box. -> Die -> Replay mission again to get to same situation -> Get lucky and go to cover. -> Wait until enemy pops out of cover. -> Shoot the enemy. -> Oh shit there are people coming behind you and Nico's ass is now glued to the cover -> Die -> and so on...

• Plus I guess I don't need PAX coverage since I go to PAX.
    This is a good point. As much as I really like RPS's reviews and general tone, I don't really care about their coverage of an event I am attending (and will continue to attend, until either PAX or I am no more).
    ...has been at the forefront of some pretty nasty movements over the years
    This is the kind of thing that makes me shake my head in bafflement. Really, guys?
  • edited September 2013
    Rock Paper Shotgun is no longer covering PAX events.
    Eh. Big shrug outta me. That article is a bit overwrought - did you know that there's now apparently been "Countless" incidents? - but really, RPS PAX coverage was never really what I went to RPS for.

Speaking of going to things, did RPS ever actually, y'know, GO to PAX? I only ever remember them covering stuff using other people's reportage, but I might be missing something.
    Looks like GTAV has super generous (optional) insta-snap auto aiming, so it'll be just like shooting in any other GTA.
    Yeah, on consoles. And IIRC, on PC, you can just not use it or turn it off, I can't remember which.
    which guys?
    Presumably he means RPS.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • http://kotaku.com/looks-like-well-hear-about-valves-new-hardware-on-mon-1356094018

Steam box coming soon
    Steam Box. Have had it for almost a decade now.
  • lol Steam Box nub edition then
  • Would like a cheap LAN streamer.
  • edited September 2013

Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • This is probably the greatest video game trailer ever.
  • Isn't that the same guy that did that Crazy Taxi video?
  • PlayStation games moving to the cloud.

Well, consoles, it's been a fun few decades, but it's time to meet your arcade cousins.
  • edited October 2013
    Is everyone fully pumped for the upcoming US release of Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God the one and only curry cooking rogue-like extravanganza?? hell yeah dudes
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Everyone go get the Stanley Parable demo. It is well worth playing in and of itself.
  • Everyone go get the Stanley Parable demo. It is well worth playing in and of itself.
    I'm defenatly getting it when it comes out.
  • edited October 2013
    Apparently there's another games industry that exists alongside ours without our knowing.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Remember that creepy Watson teleport video?
  • Dominions 4 is essentially fantasy civilization that works less like the boardgame of modern civ and more like the world generator older civ. I'm loving it so far.
  • Has anyone played Master Reboot?
    Did you like it?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/251850
  • EA's new CEO has responded to the company's twice-winning title as "Worst Company of the Year."
    Wilson wants gamers to feel like they are “stealing” EA games at $60.
    Nice to see he cares about the customer.
  • Andrew said:

DO WANT

Reminds me of Freelancer, but looks better.

Definitely getting Oculus when the consumer version is out.
  • edited November 2013
    Zelda: Link Between Worlds is getting such crazy good reviews, but I am still skeptical! Go read Chris Kohler's review over on Wired's Game|Life blog. He says he enjoyed the game, but after reading the whole thing, there seems to be a huge downside to the game, with how it encourages grinding and such. The price on this one won't dip for ages, so I think I'll be waiting closer to 2 years and picking up a used copy.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited November 2013
    Matt said:

Zelda: Link Between Worlds is getting such crazy good reviews, but I am still skeptical! Go read Chris Kohler's review over on Wired's Game|Life blog. He says he enjoyed the game, but after reading the whole thing, there seems to be a huge downside to the game, with how it encourages grinding and such. The price on this one won't dip for ages, so I think I'll be waiting closer to 2 years and picking up a used copy.

Crazy good reviews is right! I can't believe you would let one opinion sway you, even one admitting the game is good!

There is no DRM, why not just sell it after you finish it if you want your money back.

Edit: It's a 15 hour game by all accounts, how much grinding can there be? Would it really matter? WW had grinding for rupees, but it was still a good game.

I'm making up my own mind on this one.

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Can't argue with the soundtrack.

• So, I got a random text from a non gamer friend and I'm vexed.

"Q: if someone likes CoD and Farcry and Diablo an Assassin's Creed, what game would you recommend that isn't CoD ghosts?"

Thoughts?