This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• LOL I had to wiki to believe that it was on DOS.

Most of my first games came free with my graphics card or were just demos, I wasn't old enough to buy anything for myself. And I remember Decent 3 making me feel like my brain was going to explode.

When I eventually got round to GTA 3 it was like a rebirth, because it was a game that didn't make me feel sick, because of the 3D.

Going back to 2D feels strange. Though Streets of Rage is another one of my favourite games of all time.

1 reason... Yuzo Koshiro
  • What was wrong with GTA2? I thought it was more polished than the original (though to be fair I haven't played the last two on your list).
    At this point, I just remember being disappointed, and everyone else being disappointed.
  • edited September 2013
    GTA2 had this. This was good.

Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited September 2013
    Lol if you think the first two GTA games are still good then you better check yourself.

They're fucking awful especially by the current standard, I should know I played a bunch of the first game.

I just hope they upped their side mission game, Rockstar I don't give a fuck about playing pool with the annoying ass cousin.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • The comments on the Gamespot GTAV review is the fastest route to losing any remaining faith in humanity.
  • The comments on the Gamespot GTAV review is the fastest route to losing any remaining faith in humanity.
    I went to GameSpot's comment section. Why?
  • edited September 2013
    The comments on the Gamespot GTAV review is the fastest route to losing any remaining faith in humanity.
    This is the Gamespot community in general. They're even better on "hot topics" that gamespot writes a page on. So much misinformation and general anger spewing that it makes you wonder who these people really are.

Reviews seem to be good across the board and even if they weren't I'd still play the game because I have a weakness for GTA games.
  • If they've fixed the ludonarrative dissonance and shitty driving, I'd love to play GTA V. I haven't heard anything about those two points yet, though.
  • edited September 2013
    If they've fixed the ludonarrative dissonance and shitty driving, I'd love to play GTA V. I haven't heard anything about those two points yet, though.
    I honestly don't get why people thought the driving was so bad in GTA 4. I thought it was realistic without being too hindering. I thought it was perfectly fine. It's the same as people saying that Saints Row 3's driving was great blows my mind because the first time I got into a car in that game I was blown away at how arcade-y it was.

@Sail I always kinda think Polygon has shit reviews. They always seem very resonant of just the Internet's view on the given game.
  • edited September 2013
    If they've fixed the ludonarrative dissonance and shitty driving, I'd love to play GTA V. I haven't heard anything about those two points yet, though.
    Read somewhere that driving is better. Though I also read that shooting was still pretty bad and horrible shooting was way bigger deal for me in GTA IV than the driving which one could get used to.
    I honestly don't get why people thought the driving was so bad in GTA 4. I thought it was realistic without being too hindering. I thought it was perfectly fine. It's the same as people saying that Saints Row 3's driving was great blows my mind because the first time I got into a car in that game I was blown away at how arcade-y it was.
    When half of the game is car chases then people might except something like in movies, fast speeds and tight turns in corners. Instead IV gave them game where you drive calmly and slow down to the turn and look both ways before crossing the street.

Post edited by Apsup on
  • edited September 2013
    To me it had more of an actual racing game feel, you needed to time drifts better around corners and be able to regain control of your vehicle on bumpy terrain, etc.

Saints Row 3 it was trivial to drive which made it really boring to me. Luckily in 4 they have very little driving although there still are some driving missions to remind you how not fun it was.
  • edited September 2013
    From the (albeit limited) amount of IV that I played, it felt like all of the cars were actually boats. I've driven a few old-school cruisers, so I know that isn't totally unrealistic, but it felt like I was driving on a cloud...in a bad way.

Saint's Row's driving was very arcady, but at least the power-sprinting and building-hopping was realistic.

EDIT: In all seriousness, I kinda liked Sleeping Dogs' driving mechanics. It was also pretty arcady, but felt very much like a car chase should (and was less arcady than SR's).
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited September 2013
    Sleeping Dogs' driving was definitely good. Kinda hit a good middle ground between the SR and GTA. I thought Sleeping Dogs did a lot of things right besides some of the side stuff which wasn't really that bad. It's unfortunate that it basically went unrecognized.
  • N64 still sucks as much as it did back in the day I need to do my rant about why we need to encourage this shit.
  • Read somewhere that driving is better. Though I also read that shooting was still pretty bad and horrible shooting was way bigger deal for me in GTA IV than the driving which one could get used to.
    I disagree - the combat system(and combat animation system) has pretty much been stripped whole out of Max Payne 3, with most of the bullet time and more acrobatic stuff trimmed off. The combat system from MP3 was pretty good.
  • Read somewhere that driving is better. Though I also read that shooting was still pretty bad and horrible shooting was way bigger deal for me in GTA IV than the driving which one could get used to.
    I disagree - the combat system(and combat animation system) has pretty much been stripped whole out of Max Payne 3, with most of the bullet time and more acrobatic stuff trimmed off. The combat system from MP3 was pretty good.
    The bullet time and acrobatic stuff kind of IS the combat system of MP3...

• edited September 2013
    Read somewhere that driving is better. Though I also read that shooting was still pretty bad and horrible shooting was way bigger deal for me in GTA IV than the driving which one could get used to.
    The bullet time and acrobatic stuff kind of IS the combat system of MP3...
    Hardly the entirety of it. If the underlying system was shit, then it would still be shit when you slowed it down in mid-air. Did you play the multiplayer? Most of that was lower on the acrobatics and bullet time, and is the closest example.

Oooorrrr you could just watch this video, it's a side by side comparison.

Post edited by Churba on
  • As much as the internet has a hate boner for GTAV right now, I can pretty much guarantee I would have fun if I played it (I might, several years from now).

It's a very valid criticism to say there is a lot of interesting stuff going on right now, and that it's not worth the time to play something that's an incremental improvement in a long series. I also understand how the people shouting "ludonarritive dissonance" have a point, but in that case, I am not bothered one bit by it.

Back in 2005 I had a fantastic summer playing GTA: Vice City. The combat was shit, but I found the driving to control just fine. It was a good mix of exploring and watching a movie, and I don't think I would have been able to enjoy it from just watching it on YouTube.

I also have another really interesting connection to GTA. I fucking love the radio stations. The writing is hilarious, and for someone who grew up pretty much never listening to music, they did a lot to expand my musical education and find some bands that I appreciate. I will probably play GTAV at some point to sandbox around, shoot stuff, and listen to the radio.
  • Is GTA driving similar to LA Noir driving? I found in that game that the driving ability of each vehicle was different. Driving a garbage truck was beastly (as it should be) but some of those special sports cars could turn on a dime.
  • Yeah, the cars do control differently. Big clunkers like a garbage truck have low acceleration and top speed, sluggish handling, etc.
  • So, Sega bought Atlus. Internet seems to be really unhappy about this, but it would have been unhappy no matter what.
    Personally I want to stay optimistic and hope that Sega just lets them do what they have done 'till now.
  • edited September 2013
    I think it can be good if SEGA changes things. Atlus has always made these games that I really wanted to like, but were actually boring and tedious as fuck to play. Etrian Odyssey is the best example. Holy shit a map making exploring game! Oh, it's actually a huge pain in the ass.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think it can be good if SEGA changes things. Atlus has always made these games that I really wanted to like, but were actually boring and tedious as fuck to play. Etrian Odyssey is the best example. Holy shit a map making exploring game! Oh, it's actually a huge pain in the ass.
    Well, which is more important, to keep you happy or to keep their existing fans happy. Atlus scratches some niece itches that no one else does, I don't think it's too great of an idea to go around messing with those.

• I think it can be good if SEGA changes things. Atlus has always made these games that I really wanted to like, but were actually boring and tedious as fuck to play. Etrian Odyssey is the best example. Holy shit a map making exploring game! Oh, it's actually a huge pain in the ass.
    Well, which is more important, to keep you happy or to keep their existing fans happy. Atlus scratches some niece itches that no one else does, I don't think it's too great of an idea to go around messing with those.

Fuck existing fans. Sell as many copies as possible. See: superhero comics, moe anime, etc. Niche is bad.
  • Fuck existing fans. Sell as many copies as possible. See: superhero comics, moe anime, etc. Niche is bad.
    I'd rather there be little for everyone than a lot for majority. Have there be more different things, more niche, more mainstream, more everything, I have wide tastes so I can always find things that interest me and I wish that everyone could. I rather embrace everything than doom one thing while embracing other.

• Fuck existing fans. Sell as many copies as possible. See: superhero comics, moe anime, etc. Niche is bad.
    I'd rather there be little for everyone than a lot for majority. Have there be more different things, more niche, more mainstream, more everything, I have wide tastes so I can always find things that interest me and I wish that everyone could. I rather embrace everything than doom one thing while embracing other.

There's a reason ATLUS is in such financial trouble that they have to sell out. Companies gotta make money.
  • Card Hunter is a surprisingly enjoyable game. The tactical combat system is quite robust, and the overall athstetic is very evocative of pen and paper RPGs. If anyone wants to try out the multiplayer, let me know.
  • There's a reason ATLUS is in such financial trouble that they have to sell out. Companies gotta make money.
    It was Index the parent company of Atlus that was in trouble and their gaming division apparently was one of the few parts of Index that actually made money. At least that's how I've heard it.