This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• In Metro Last Light you can pay for a lap dance from a topless prostitute. I thought bare breasts only happened in fan made game mods?
  • In Metro Last Light you can pay for a lap dance from a topless prostitute. I thought bare breasts only happened in fan made game mods?
    Witcher games feature full frontal nudity. It's rare, but not unheard of.

• It's by a European studio, so it's probably not as big a deal to them. I'm pretty sure toplessness can sometimes (just barely) make it past the ESRB.
  • Is it censored out on the console versions?
  • There are bare breasts in Saints Row 4.
    Unpixelated?

Unpixelated?

Yeah, I don't quite remember which part but there was definitely one animated part, perhaps in the strip club part? I don't quite remember, but I remember kinda being slightly surprised they had a non censored topless scene. It's was sort of off to the side and not the focus of the scene but they don't attempt to hide it at all. Specifically I remember the Ben King rescue mission there are several pictures of the hippy Shaundi where shes topless.
  • Fuck existing fans. Sell as many copies as possible. See: superhero comics, moe anime, etc.
    Nintendo Wii.
  • Bombermine is dead. It use to be so good. *sigh*
  • I wanna play EO very much a lot. Had to settle on Class of Heroes on the Vita and talk about some friggin inconvenient shit. You have to individually identify literally every item you pick up using the Identify skill... which has a chance to fail and make the identifier "fatigued" so then you have to bring them to the hospital and get it cured. You get like 30-50 items per dungeon run. Also an Atlus game.
  • Atlus: Radiant Historia was the best of the quirky games they brought to the DS.

If you like Chrono Trigger and that kind of time travel vibe, you should have a good time with Radiant Historia.
  • edited September 2013
    Atlus now Sega

I'm also considering whether I want to buy into Sports Friends. I saw some at PAX and thought it looked neat, then watching some BariBariBall on Unprofessional Fridays made me really want to get it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Sega's various development houses and whatnot have made some really good recent games, also a lot of bad crap tho. They probably have so many different groups developing under them that they give them a decent amount of independence.
  • Sega's various development houses and whatnot have made some really good recent games, also a lot of bad crap tho. They probably have so many different groups developing under them that they give them a decent amount of independence.
    From what I've heard Sega has a bad habit of not localizing and bringing cool games to west. Letting Atlus make games freely is good. Letting west enjoy those games too, is optimal.

• So, Sega bought Atlus. Internet seems to be really unhappy about this, but it would have been unhappy no matter what.
    Personally I want to stay optimistic and hope that Sega just lets them do what they have done 'till now.
    I would kill for an Atlus made Skies of Arcadia or single player Phantasy Star rpg.

• Atlus makes the Shin Megami Tensei games, which scratch my itches for both fairly challenging JRPGs (okay, as challenging as a JRPG can really get) and for games full of weird mythological shit. And considering how much fucking money Persona 4 made, I think they're probably not doing too badly.
  • Rock Paper Shotgun is no longer covering PAX events.
  • The only time I ever see Rock Paper Shotgun is in the Steam game news feed.
  • The only time I ever see Rock Paper Shotgun is in the Steam game news feed.
    I read it pretty often. Great way to find out about the super indie games that other places don't even talk about.
  • RPS is pretty much the only gaming site I read regularly. pc4lyfe
  • Giant Bomb is pretty good about covering obscure games since their fans send them a lot and they think its a good genre to highlight. Patrick Klepeck has a Friday feature where he highlights 3-4 games I've never heard about every week. They probably expose less than RPS but I'm okay with the ones they do expose.

Plus I guess I don't need PAX coverage since I go to PAX.
  • I am tired or reading about, hearing about, and commenting on PAX boycotts. Talk about going overboard.
  • I disagree - the combat system(and combat animation system) has pretty much been stripped whole out of Max Payne 3, with most of the bullet time and more acrobatic stuff trimmed off. The combat system from MP3 was pretty good.
    The bullet time and acrobatic stuff kind of IS the combat system of MP3...
    Hardly the entirety of it. If the underlying system was shit, then it would still be shit when you slowed it down in mid-air. Did you play the multiplayer? Most of that was lower on the acrobatics and bullet time, and is the closest example.
    The shooting mechanics of MP3 are really frigging good IMO. Everything flows so well, and the combat winds up being more about moving your character effectively than having pin point accuracy. It's like the Dark/Demon's Souls of 3rd person shooting games, where everything is about timing and approach and not just reaction speed.
  • I disagree - the combat system(and combat animation system) has pretty much been stripped whole out of Max Payne 3, with most of the bullet time and more acrobatic stuff trimmed off. The combat system from MP3 was pretty good.
    Hardly the entirety of it. If the underlying system was shit, then it would still be shit when you slowed it down in mid-air. Did you play the multiplayer? Most of that was lower on the acrobatics and bullet time, and is the closest example.
    The shooting mechanics of MP3 are really frigging good IMO. Everything flows so well, and the combat winds up being more about moving your character effectively than having pin point accuracy. It's like the Dark/Demon's Souls of 3rd person shooting games, where everything is about timing and approach and not just reaction speed.
    Looks like GTAV has super generous (optional) insta-snap auto aiming, so it'll be just like shooting in any other GTA.
    Looks like GTAV has super generous (optional) insta-snap auto aiming, so it'll be just like shooting in any other GTA.
    I've been using that because aiming with a PS3 controller is nigh impossible. Fuck those tall ass analog stricks. Good thing they're changing it on PS4.
  • Max Payne 3 actually had that as well on consoles :) (actually on pc I think too?) I disabled it for single player, cause it just sucks up a lot of fun IMO, but the crappy part is that the multiplayer got split into two lobbies; auto-aim and free-aim. The free aim lobby had like.... 1/4th as many players :/ They probably did the same for this, but I never thought GTAIV mp was all that much fun anyhow.
  • Looks like GTAV has super generous (optional) insta-snap auto aiming, so it'll be just like shooting in any other GTA.
    Saying that shooting is just like any other GTA doesn't mean anything as the shooting in GTAs was fundementally different before IV and it's shitty cover mechanics than after. So, you probably mean "any other GTA after IV", I assume.
  • Looks like GTAV has super generous (optional) insta-snap auto aiming, so it'll be just like shooting in any other GTA.
    Saying that shooting is just like any other GTA doesn't mean anything as the shooting in GTAs was fundementally different before IV and it's shitty cover mechanics than after. So, you probably mean "any other GTA after IV", I assume.
    Its been a while since i've played IV or any of the PS2 games, but I recall all combat basically coming down to "tap lock-on, *bap bap bap* tap lock-on, *bap bap bap*, etc".
  • A lot of the problem w/ previous GTA (including 4) shooting mechanics is that, in addition to just being kind of bland to begin w/, it's an open world game, so theres a lot of times when youre just shooting at guys in an area with mad boring shit ass design. Sleeping Dogs did it pretty well by having really tightly controlled shooting scenes and limited gun use in general, but yeah, really good combat mechanics takes good level design too.