This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Was never a fan of Unreal tournament. I preferred Quake 3.
  • Wasteland 2 beta feels like Fallout 1 & 2.
  • heh, NPR asked Facebook for people who watch "Let's Play" videos of games so they could interview them. Cue 400 comments of mom's going "My 9 year old watches these all the time, i sure hope adults don't".
  • This is amusing.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Wasteland 2 beta feels like Fallout 1 & 2.

It should since it is made by the same people that made the original 2 Fallout games.

• Cremlian said:

heh, NPR asked Facebook for people who watch "Let's Play" videos of games so they could interview them. Cue 400 comments of mom's going "My 9 year old watches these all the time, i sure hope adults don't".

On the ride home tonight, the NPR news host flubbed up a line about the Newtown shootings, saying the killer took the life of 20 students and 6 animals (supposed to say adults). Hard to top that.

• EA is starting a new indie dev competition called Code Wars. The FAQ is pretty damn hilarious.

• Nintendo holy shit.

Dynasty Warriors Zelda game?!
    New Dr. Mario that is actually Luigi?!
    Some weird game where you can play as characters from one NES game in another NES game?!
  • If I had my Wii U right now I would be downloading that NES Remix thing ASAP. It screams Wario Ware GameCube.
  • Daikun said:

PlayStation games moving to the cloud.

Well, consoles, it's been a fun few decades, but it's time to meet your arcade cousins.

Ha ha ha ha...
  • Damn soon I won't be able to walk into a physical game store check the price of a game, show the shop owner that I am clearly checking the price online, buying it on my phone then walking out.
  • I did that at a Best Buy once. Best reason I have been banned from a store.
  • Only reason I ever walk into a physical game store is if I'm trying to kill time at a mall or something while my spousal overunit is getting her hair done, shopping for a dress, etc., and I want to check out the used game selection. That's about it.
  • canine224 said:

I did that at a Best Buy once. Best reason I have been banned from a store.

I do that at conventions and share my knowledge to other people buying from them, they did try to kick me out before but there was no policy of internet usage in the dealer's room.

• Now-a-days, Best Buy price-matches Amazon, so....
  • Neito said:

Now-a-days, Best Buy price-matches Amazon, so....

While Best Buy is still an awful place I will never go, it does seem they are improving in the price category. For certain items they do really have the best price. Just don't try to buy something like an SD card from them.
  • I buy things there that I know I won't get cheaper somewhere else. For instance an iPad or a game console. I also bought a microwave there recently but even on Amazon microwaves don't seem to be discounted much.
  • I always use the internet to read reviews while at the store. Then I price compare and decide whether the price to time ratio is in my favor or not.
  • I suppose I do have a reason now to walk into a game store - Because It's a minimum of ten to fifteen bucks cheaper than Eshop for getting games on the 3ds. I can't just buy from Amazon and grey import, because the 3ds is region locked.
  • Churba said:

I suppose I do have a reason now to walk into a game store - Because It's a minimum of ten to fifteen bucks cheaper than Eshop for getting games on the 3ds. I can't just buy from Amazon and grey import, because the 3ds is region locked.

I was really pissed that the new Phoenix Wright is eShop only. I had to pay full price instead of Amazon discount.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

I suppose I do have a reason now to walk into a game store - Because It's a minimum of ten to fifteen bucks cheaper than Eshop for getting games on the 3ds. I can't just buy from Amazon and grey import, because the 3ds is region locked.

I was really pissed that the new Phoenix Wright is eShop only. I had to pay full price instead of Amazon discount.
    And even in the stores, I'm paying double the price you are on eshop, far as I know. AU eshop is on average ten bucks more expensive than that - for most popular or decent games, it's 60 bucks in store, and usually 65 to 70 on Eshop. I guess I can get shovelware for maybe 25-30.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

Churba said:

And even in the stores, I'm paying double the price you are on eshop, far as I know. AU eshop is on average ten bucks more expensive than that - for most popular or decent games, it's 60 bucks in store, and usually 65 to 70 on Eshop. I guess I can get shovelware for maybe 25-30.
    I can't believe even the digital prices are insane. I thought everyone used Steam because the prices were normal. I guess the other digital stores are not so normal? Is it because of taxes? Remember our prices don't include tax, if any.
  • Apreche said:

I can't believe even the digital prices are insane. I thought everyone used Steam because the prices were normal. I guess the other digital stores are not so normal? Is it because of taxes? Remember our prices don't include tax, if any.

There's a 10% GST, but it only applies if I'm buying from a service or store inside Australia. I don't pay GST on Steam, for example. Eshop is GST inclusive, though, because it goes through Nintendo of Australia here, rather than going straight to Nintendo of Japan. There's tax, but even considering that it doesn't explain the other 90% of the 100% price increase.

Everyone does use steam, but prices are not normal. At best, they're extremely variable. There's a lot of games that are maybe three or four bucks higher, that's alright, and many that are exactly the same, but a LOT of games - especially triple-a titles - are wicked expensive compared to other regions - for example, Shift 2 is 20 bucks in the US on steam, but 80 bucks here, and Civ 5 is 70 bucks. It's improving, but it's not there yet. And you already know how big of a thing Steam sales are here.

There's other digital stores that are more normal - for example, GMG and Humble Store are universal pricing. Origin started off at shitty pricing, but is now on universal pricing. We also have something you don't tend to see as much in the US - We have a surprising amount of grey import stores, both online and physical, who specialize in importing consoles and games from countries where they're much cheaper. So we have some avenues to get many games at decent-ish prices.

Sadly, doesn't apply to Nintendo, though - unless you import a console, you're shit outta luck because expensive physical copies and even more expensive eshop copies are the only game in town.
  • Next time I come, sometime before I die, I'll bring 3 or 4x of the latest portable Nintendo console. In customs I'll say they are gifts.
  • Apreche said:

Next time I come, sometime before I die, I'll bring 3 or 4x of the latest portable Nintendo console. In customs I'll say they are gifts.

And as long as you have less than a $900 worth per person, otherwise you'll have to pay duty. That's still about three or four consoles at US prices(make sure you bring the receipts, IIRC, so it's not much change to the idea, but worth knowing. It's a good idea, especially if you get buyers beforehand, which wouldn't be too hard.

• What about digital gifting options?
  • edited January 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

What about digital gifting options?

For Eshop? As far as I'm aware, there isn't any. For other services, it varies - No go for Origin, yes for Steam, etc etc.

Edit - Though you can get around the origin one by simply giving the code as the gift, then they input the code and they get the game from origin.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Weird. The Wii shop had gifting, I wonder why it didn't flow into the eShop?
  • They actually killed gifting in the Wii shop, too, which might explain why they didn't include it in eShop.