This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Spawn camping used to be an issue. Just kill players as soon as they spawn before they can do anything. This has been entirely solved by giving players a period of invincibility on spawn, and varying spawn times and locations.
  • It was fixed in older games too.

Step 1: Identify that the other players are camping to their own advantage.
    Step 2: Kill them by being good at the game.
  • Basically, if camping is an problem, the problem lies in game or level design, not in the player behavior.
  • Rym said:

It was fixed in older games too.

Step 1: Identify that the other players are camping to their own advantage.
    Step 2: Kill them by being good at the game.

Camp the campers you say?
  • Apsup said:

Basically, if camping is an problem, the problem lies in game or level design, not in the player behavior.

Well, it could also be a problem in player skill. Camping is often the most effective strategy at low skill levels. It's much easier to aim and fire than it is to move, aim, and fire. In a game where all players have low skills, camping will allow a player to significantly increase their effectiveness. Even though any skilled player would trivially dispatch the camper, it can be very annoying to other low skill players who refuse to camp when a high skill player is not present to fight the camper.
  • Or even more indirectly than skill, group-think. When everyone simultaneously thinks the rail-gun/rocket launcher and the quad-damage/armor are the optimal strategy, you get a certain meta game that arises through play that might very well make camping the best strategy.

This is a super common problem of play in moba's and some MMOs. Between tiers of skill, matchmaking, regional differences, and popular media you can see a lot of similar tactics that (whether really optimal or not) create rifts in the game in weird ways.

Also reminds me of the halo pistol problem. With many home groups, it didn't even occur to them. They were (conciously or subconciously) inclined to use heavier weapons. So the unbalance of the original pistol wasn't a problem for those groups. They discarded it. Then when someone shows up and wipes the floor with them in every match with "just" the pistol, they may learn.

I personally think that on some level, a healthy meta is one that is constantly moving and shaking and just barely seems to escape equilibrium every time as players keep varying to counter and re-counter each other. That keeps me interested at least. It's not "real" in the sense that the game is most likely actually solvable and the illusion is just being maintained, but it does keep it from reaching that point where I realize that I have hit my own personal skill cap and I'm not going any further.
  • edited February 2014
    The moment I saw Scott's Avatar on the previous page, my IMMEDIATE thought was "Oh, in what way will Counterstrike be the perfect solution THIS time?"

Mild disappointment, though, it's not like CS is doing a single unique thing there, certainly nothing that hasn't been done before or since.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

The moment I saw Scott's Avatar on the previous page, my IMMEDIATE thought was "Oh, in what way will Counterstrike be the perfect solution THIS time?"

Mild disappointment, though, it's not like CS is doing a single unique thing there, certainly nothing that hasn't been done before or since.

Actually, very little of what Counter-Strike does was done before. For instance, what competitive FPS before counter-strike had objectives other than capture the flag? Which ones did not have respawn, thus eliminating spawn camping? This game is mad old!
  • edited February 2014
    Apreche said:

Actually, very little of what Counter-Strike does was done before. For instance, what competitive FPS before counter-strike had objectives other than capture the flag? Which ones did not have respawn, thus eliminating spawn camping? This game is mad old!

Yes, that's all so wonderful that I'm cracking a semi. And yes, Counterstrike is the one with Counterstrike's specific method of eliminating spawn camping, rather than randomized spawns, or any other method that any other game used, like inaccessible spawn areas. Yes, Counterstrike had objectives other than the objective based play that you specifically exclude so that counterstrike can be the only one with objective based play, And yes, Counterstrike has competent map design, wahey, they performed acceptably, big pat on the back. Actually that really is a fair pat on the back, since it started as a mod, and 90% of community made counterstrike maps are fucking garbage, so I guess they have exceeded the relative standard.

Any other impressive arrivals at competency or categories narrowed so tightly that there's only room for one in it that you want us to know about? Maybe that CS was revolutionary by being the first game to allow you to pick from the character models featured in Counterstrike?

(Edit - Also, I know. You weren't the only one there at the time, yo.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Daikun said:
    When I saw this headline I thought it was just a mashup someone made that I could check out later. Turns out it is much worse. They're basically admitting the only way they can sell a Sonic game is to make it a Zelda game instead.
  • I'm just angry that Sonic gets the Triforce in one DLC, and Link still only ends like, two or three games with the entire Triforce. Jip.
  • I thought that was an April fools joke.
  • You'd think you would hype this sort of thing before the game came out, so people would (theoretically) get excited and pre-order/buy at launch. No. You wait 6 whole months before busting out your supposed big-gun crossover, while copies of the Sonic game rot on shelves after barely eeking out a 60% positive review average.
  • Apreche said:

Daikun said:
    When I saw this headline I thought it was just a mashup someone made that I could check out later. Turns out it is much worse. They're basically admitting the only way they can sell a Sonic game is to make it a Zelda game instead.
    To be fair, it's only DLC, not a full game, and Lost World was co-produced by Nintendo.
  • edited March 2014
    Square Enix president: "Our audience wants high-quality JRPGs."

REALLY?!? WELL, HOLY SHIT!
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Daikun said:

Square Enix president: "Our audience wants high-quality JRPGs."

REALLY?!? WELL, HOLY SHIT!

Captain obvious paid him a visit.
  • Man, I kept wondering how we could get all the money we made back in the 90's releasing lengthy, well-produced JRGPs in this modern era. Turns out we had to produce lengthy, well-produced JRPGs again! I don't know how I could've predicted this, but it's a good thing we found out now, before serious damage to our brand was done.
  • I know it probably won't be what I want it to be but I am still looking forward to the new Smash Bros. Nintendo is going to announce the actual release date later today.
  • They actually said specifically that they're not announcing the exact date.

Google Translate: "It IS not at the Stage to announce the release date yet specific [Announcement], but in the broadcast of tomorrow, I'll let you know Also to the Rough release date."
  • Ah yeah, I got too excited when reading the article and reread the headline which says announces launch window.
  • Churba said:

There's a new borderlands game coming, and I was mildly interested since they said Gearbox isn't really involved, and It's developed by 2K Australia, who have a pretty wicked team. But then I found out that Anthony Birch is still involved as a writer, and my interest just instantly dropped to zero.

So Omar just linked me this:

I'm a bit intrigued. I enjoy their world building and it would be interesting to see more of Handsome Jack's storyline. I'll more than likely give it a go. I'll definitely need to upgrade my PC by then. :(
  • edited April 2014
    Okay, I'll be honest, I might still be a little interested. I'm not fully sure of Birch's role in it yet, since he's a gearbox employee, and they're saying that it's not made by gearbox, and nobody is being exactly clear about how he's involved beyond just as a "writer", which could mean just about anything. Considering Handsome Jack and Wilhelm are his Characters, as is Nisha, they could certainly only have him consulting some without having him work in the same capacity as he did in BL2. I was over-reacting a little.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I just want to play as Claptrap. <_<
  • I, too, share your desire to just watch that robot roll off a cliff.
  • No, I like him. <_<
  • Borderlands writing was pretty good sometimes, but other times it was just fucking groanworthy. Then again I had almost zero interest in many of the characters except for maybe who exactly Handsome Jacks is supposed to be but I didn't care too much. It'll be curious what 2K Australia brings to the table though they seem fairly competent.
  • I'll play it. When it's cheap.