This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• Late to comment on the dressing up.. but i will try to mohawk again, and do clothing things. watch out anyone who is taller than me!
  • I say nay on dress shoes and be awesome with wearing sneakers with all of our dolling up.
  • Since I will have a 10-month-old baby in tow for most of PAX I am totally opting out of the fancy clothes extravaganza. Garments are subject to soiling at a moment's notice (thank god for the attached Westin).

PAX in general is going to be an interesting experience for me this time around. Prime last year was awesome going by myself b/c there were so many different groups of people I wanted to catch up with for a bit. This time around its more of a family vacation, and we're just not sure how the little one will react. She's a very happy kid and sleeps like a rock from 7PM-7AM, even out in public, so things might go off without a hitch. Yet these are unpredictable creatures, so we're going in accepting the risk that things could go majorly south, if for no other reason that sometimes a baby just has a bad F-ing day, resulting in a lot of missed PAX and time spent hanging out in the room.
  • Late to comment on the dressing up.. but i will try to mohawk again, and do clothing things. watch out anyone who is taller than me!
    Not the face!
    isn't that everyone :-p
  • I say nay on dress shoes and be awesome with wearing sneakers with all of our dolling up.
    What about shoes that look dressy but function as sneakers?
  • edited March 2012
    I say nay on dress shoes and be awesome with wearing sneakers with all of our dolling up.
    What about shoes that look dressy but function as sneakers?
    That'll work. I just don't like having to pack too many things now. I already over pack as is.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Well why don't you just live in the same city as the con and not have to pack? Boston is so much better than Seattle.
  • I had to get a new suit for the wedding anyway, so it's doubling as my PAX suit. It's getting tailored this week, and I just have to pick out a nice shirt, tie, and shoes now.
  • Well why don't you just live in the same city as the con and not have to pack? Boston is so much better than Seattle.
    PAX City.
  • PAX City.
    Soon...
    PAX City.
    I'm holding out that it will resemble one of the launch arcologies from Sim City 2000. With any luck, PAX City will also be able to lift off into space when the shit hits the fan.

• Man, waiting for their department request list for positions to appear in the forums is annoying... when are they going to post!
  • Gabe just posted about The Omegathon

"This year’s secret final round will be very cool I think. I don’t want to give too much away but how about a hint?

We had custom equipment built"

Crossing my fingers SO HARD for the Double Dare Obstacle Course.

• How the fuck is the X-Men round going to work?

The hint about special equipment makes me think the final round will be something along the lines of the gigantic Jenga. Perhaps my old Rock'em Sock'em Robots prediction will come to pass?
  • Steel Battalion.
    PAX provides costumes. Omeganauts provide the badassery.

2 teams of 6, highest combined point score moves on.
  • Steel Battalion.
  • Each day I go check the mail, I have anticipation and excitement to see my badge arrive.
  • They did just announce that Giant Bananagrams is going to be released soon, but they already have Zip-It in the Omegathon, or I would highly suspect that.
    2 teams of 6, highest combined point score moves on.
    I am assuming they mean the arcade game. There have been a ton of X-Men games, including a lot of fighting games. Score challenge would work.

• I have no other information on this other than just a gut feeling that means nothing.

My feeling tells me that they are going to announce the third PAX at this PAX East 2012.
  • Here's my attempt to grasp at straws for circumstantial evidence: After PAX Prime 2011, ReedPOP hired an additional full-time PAX planner; the Penny Arcade staff seems even busier than usual with pre-PAX rampup (based on their tweets). I still doubt PAX 3 but it could happen. Would make for one hell of a prediction.
  • My prediction?

Gabe and Tycho will reveal that their crack team of scientists has raised Atlantis from the ocean floor and they are set to rebuild it into Paxopolis.
  • Alright. I have room in our room at the Westin for the 5th, 6th and 7th. So not Sunday night.

Currently we have 4 people staying there, in the two double beds, but have more than plenty of floor space for 2 more. Here is what the price breakdown looks like currently.

4 people - $51/person per night
    5 people - $41/person per night
    6 people - $34/person per night

Paying entirely breaks down the following ways:

4 people - $153.40 per person (for all 3 nights)
    5 people - $122.80 per person (all 3 nights)
    6 people - $102 per person (for all 3 nights)

So if we get two more people in on this room it becomes quite affordable.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2012
    Oh, on a side note, are we using anything in place of the fallen Beluga?
    Glassboard seems like a good substitute. Granted, I've only heard it used at MagFest X amongst the FRC and the forumites (which I was not present at). To those of you who used it at MagFest; was it any good there?

Post edited by Geo on
  • Good enough.
  • If you are enforcing it's time to pick your department... GOD DAMN BETTER GET TABLETOP THIS YEAR ;-p
  • I hope you do ScoJo.