This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• edited March 2012
    It appears there is going to be a Freezepop concert while PAX is going on. Meaning that a PAX v former PAX band battle is going to ensue on Saturday. Thinking of heading to the Freezepop show.

Edit: Correction it appears that it is a local radio station doing a concert and Freeze pop are the closer. Meaning if you only care about them get there around 11 PM to maximize nerd band exposure.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • It appears there is going to be a Freezepop concert while PAX is going on. Meaning that a PAX v former PAX band battle is going to ensure on Saturday, Thinking of heading to the Freezepop show.
    This has happened before.
  • At every PAX East (or at least half) I think.
  • I know I'm going to need earplugs for the concert, I tried going in last year without them and it was literally the loudest place I had ever been before I left in about 3 minutes, so what should I be looking for in terms of earplugs so I can enjoy the music and not go deaf?
  • I know I'm going to need earplugs for the concert, I tried going in last year without them and it was literally the loudest place I had ever been before I left in about 3 minutes, so what should I be looking for in terms of earplugs so I can enjoy the music and not go deaf?
    Get these.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

Get these.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

Seconded. I've got a pair of them, and they're ace. The only problem is that it can be annoying to wash the silicone bits properly, and that's a minor quibble at worst.

• I should have gotten some of those for my miata.
  • I've created a Glassboard board for PAX East. The invitation code is "ultfd"
  • Is Glassboard the new Beluga?
  • I haven't been actively searching, but I haven't had any other alternatives cross my path. Unless someone points one out in the next few days, it will almost definitely be Glassboard this time around.
  • edited March 2012
    Is this Glassboard board only for FRC peeps?

Request sent!
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • I have Ety ER20 earplugs too. Highly recommended.

• Request sent!
    Ditto
  • Well, there was a fire at the Back Bay Hilton (the one next to the Hynes) last night (actually, it was the parking garage attached to it, technically). Large parts of Boston are without power and we still don't know what the status of that hotel will be come AB/PAX weekend (figured it was relevant here since I think a decent number of PAX attendees may stay at the hotels in the Back Bay).
  • http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/back_bay/2012/03/back_bay_fire_closes_two_mbta.html

Should be fine well before PAX.
    Yeah, but it may make things a bit more messy. Apparently they're going to be using diesel powered transformers on flatbeds to pick up the slack of the burned transformers. Probably won't matter that much, but sidewalks and such may be closed down as these transformers will be mounted in flatbed trailers.
  • edited March 2012
    Enforcers, there is a post in the forums by PRD that is VERY IMPORTANT. Go read. They recently tweeted about it.

Oh mans, that's pretty damn cool. That's all I can say, so please keep it amongst [E] only.
    Post edited by Rochelle on

• Request sent!
    Ditto
    Doesn't support SMS. I'll be have to be tethered to someone with a smart phone for the whole con. sadface.jpg
  • Request sent! I'm Nelson, by the by (for anyone who knoweth not my Christian name).

• Request sent!
    Ditto
    Doesn't support SMS. I'll be have to be tethered to someone with a smart phone for the whole con. sadface.jpg
    It's not looking good for an SMS alternative. The only other group messaging apps still around are Kik, PingMe, and GroupMe. Only GroupMe supports all phone plus SMS

• Request sent! I'm Nelson, by the by (for anyone who knoweth not my Christian name).
    Excellent, Mr. Mandela.
  • edited March 2012

Request sent!
    Ditto
    It's not looking good for an SMS alternative. The only other group messaging apps still around are Kik, PingMe, and GroupMe. Only GroupMe supports all phone plus SMS

What's wrong with GroupMe? I'd vote for SMS-inclusion. [edit for grammar]
    Post edited by jtvh on
  • Ordering bus tickets - early bus in on Thursday, late bus out on Sunday. This is going to be awesome.

I'd appreciate it if more people can take spots in Coldguy's room, so I don't have to pay as much. That said, Coldguy, you could put it up for the Enforcer hotel share thread.
  • Excellent, Mr. Mandela.
    I was actually named after him.

Justin/NYC peeps: I'm taking the Bolt Bus Thursday at noon, if anyone wants to PAXBUS.

• Woah, that's pretty awesome. High five whichever parent is most responsible for that.
  • I just bought Greyhound, although my bus is also at noon. I'll see you there.

• Request sent!
    Ditto
    Pro tip, get the cheapest android phone you can one a pay as you go plan, congratulations you have a smart phone for con use.

• Ordering bus tickets - early bus in on Thursday, late bus out on Sunday. This is going to be awesome.

I'd appreciate it if more people can take spots in Coldguy's room, so I don't have to pay as much. That said, Coldguy, you could put it up for the Enforcer hotel share thread.
    We are at 8 people right now, I'd need to email them first to see if they want to split more than that...
  • We are at 8 people right now, I'd need to email them first to see if they want to split more than that...
    Oh, never mind, then. Eight is enough for one hotel room.
  • Well, it's official. There will be regular shuttle buses running between the Hynes and the BCEC during PAX/Anime Boston weekend.