This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• You guys should do a Google+ Messenger (formerly Huddle) group chat. Works for iOS and Android. You can even share photos. Windows Phoners and people without smartphones would be SOL though.
    That probably requires people to add others to various Circles, n'est pas?
  • The only solution for people without smartphones is GroupMe.

The other group messaging apps I've identified are Kik, PingMe, Glassboard, but I haven't used any of them, nor done detailed research yet, so I can't provide any actual advice here.
  • I'm already on G+ and I think I have the app, so I could use that.

Regardless, Glassboard seems OK. All we need is a reasonably quick group messaging app to let people know where we are/what we are doing/why.
  • I've created a Glassboard board for PAX East. The invitation code is "ultfd"
    Plus Geo seems to have created one already, fyi.
  • I've created a Glassboard board for PAX East. The invitation code is "ultfd"
    Plus Geo seems to have created one already, fyi.
    Probably for the best.

• I think the GroupMe looks better. Let's test it out. We have time to give these things trial runs. I'll make one and come back here.
  • Whatever, I'm gonna end up sending texts directly to the people I wanna contact no matter what we use.
  • GroupMe is looking real good. Free. Run by Skype/Microsoft. Supports iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, and SMS.
  • Wait something that supports blackberry wooooo
  • Damn it Apreche, don't encourage him.
  • I added a small bunch of people. Go ahead and pass it down.
  • Oh hmmm... this goes over txt message... I only get 200 a month.. but I have unlimited data, *looks for app* is there?

• Oh hmmm... this goes over txt message... I only get 200 a month.. but I have unlimited data, *looks for app* is there?

Once you get the app the SMS turns off. Theoretically it uses SMS as a backup. So if your data connection craps out the SMS will turn on again. Then the SMS will automatically turn off again when the data connection is good enough for the app to work.

• Do we have a GroupMe group set up?
  • You guys should do a Google+ Messenger (formerly Huddle) group chat. Works for iOS and Android. You can even share photos. Windows Phoners and people without smartphones would be SOL though.
    That probably requires people to add others to various Circles, n'est pas?
    You just need someone in the chat to add you and you're in. The person that adds you has to have you in one of their circles, but that's it.
  • edited March 2012
    Yes. Scott and I are in the processing of testing things out. I like how it says people are typing/sending things. Nice real time stuff.

I just hope Verizon doesn't throttle my data plan too much.

You can also log in with Facebook so your profile pic can be added and all that jazz as well as connect with Twitter.

Setting are available to turn off notifications for the night time for us to sleep and not get bothered by early risers.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Someone who is facebook friends with me add me.
  • Setting are available to turn off notifications for the night time for us to sleep and not get bothered by early risers.
    This just will not do. I'm searching the app store now, there has to be a group messaging service that allows me to wake Ro up at 5:00AM as a feature.

• edited March 2012
    You forget that I'm one of those early risers, even though the time zone change may affect it a bit. I have been getting up around 4AM for a while now.
  • edited March 2012
    You forget that I'm one of those early risers, even though the time zone change may affect it a bit. I have been getting up around 4AM for a while now.
    That's 7am here, and staying up til 2 will knacker that right quick.

Also, message to everyone. If you're going to upload pictures, for the love of god turn down the megapixels on your phone. We don't need a 100 8+ megapixel images clutter up the feed over our 3G connections.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Ahhh... 4G.....
  • Heh.. Actually, I will probably disable 4G the entire time I'm at PAX. When it can't get a clean signal, it WRECKS the battery.
  • Ro, could you be so kind as to add me?
  • edited March 2012
    I see that Rym is muted. Does that mean he muted himself from notifications of I somehow muted him?
  • Ok, so the only problem with GroupMe is that it seems to start spamming people as soon as you add them. That's bullshit. It shouldn't give you any messages until after you accept the invitation to the group. Once you get the app installed or whatever, then it's on par with Beluga.
  • Ok, don't add anyone you like via their phone number! You will text bomb them. Download the app, sign up via facebook and then ask to be added.
  • Could someone add me please?
  • edited March 2012
    What's you facebook name?

EDIT: Nothing against anyone, I don't have your forum and real names sync'd up at all.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Ok peoples, I'll help out with this. Send me a message via this forum of your telephone number or email with name (at least first name), and I'll send an invite.

I can't do much tonight because I have podcasting and what not. Tomorrow, I have many free time. :D
  • Heh.. Actually, I will probably disable 4G the entire time I'm at PAX. When it can't get a clean signal, it WRECKS the battery.
    True facts. I'm pretty sure my Nexus has an effective battery life of 8 hours.

But 4G is so fast! So I just keep a charger with me.