This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• Heh.. Actually, I will probably disable 4G the entire time I'm at PAX. When it can't get a clean signal, it WRECKS the battery.
    True facts. I'm pretty sure my Nexus has an effective battery life of 8 hours.

But 4G is so fast! So I just keep a charger with me.

I have a handcrank USB charger.
  • I just have a battery that charges USB things. Power outlets are hard to come by in convention centers.

Anyone who is facebook friends with me, post on my wall if you want to be added to to groupme. I'll get to it when I get back from happy hour tonight.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm getting messages. Guys, please make sure you have the app installed and ready to go. I don't want you to incur text message fees or extraneous texts when you don't have to.

Also when we add you, you can start adding people and so on.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I wasn't aware that GroupMe was taken in by Skype/Microsoft. I guess Microsoft felt that the functionality was still worth it despite the fact that about a year ago GroupMe was getting sued up the asshole for violations against the TCPA.

Yeah, that whole thing about adding people via their phone numbers and GroupMe sends them an SMS inviting them to the group? It's illegal, on top of being annoying.

Anyway, I was going to suggest my own company's service, but it won't be consumer friendly until around PAX Prime. We're still mainly focused on businesses.
  • I didn't get a text message inviting me to the group. I got a text message informing me I had been added to the group. And then I got a message every time someone else was added. It was quite annoying. However, the first text you get says you've been added to a group and includes instructions on how to stop the messages.

Beluga did exactly the same thing.
  • My mistake, I haven't used GroupMe in a while, so I didn't recall exactly how it worked. Either way, the first message they send informing you of that is still a violation of the TCPA, regardless of whether they tell you how to get out (also required by law).
  • Yeah, it's not really the best system as far as adding people is concerned. It's hard to not text bomb people.
  • It would be fine if it just sent the person ONE message and then didn't send any more messages until they accepted the invitation.
  • GroupMe is actually pretty good so far. It might even be an improvement on Beluga.
  • Games on Demand is happening. I will be running some games.
  • Can one of you guys add me to the GroupMe? My email's linkigi@gmail.com.
  • Can one of you guys add me to the GroupMe? My email's linkigi@gmail.com.
    Added.
  • My phone is too old and cheap even for apps like GroupMe, so I will just have to guess as to what's happening. :/
  • edited March 2012
    I'm a luddite. I don't own a cellphone. I tried the pre-paid phone thing last year for PAX. Apparently the simm cards expire on those when you don't use it for six months. I also write software for a living.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • GroupMe is actually pretty good so far. It might even be an improvement on Beluga.
    Yeah, I'm digging that I can mute notifications for a group without a time limit! Not turning those notifications back on until PAX time.

• edited March 2012
    GroupMe is actually pretty good so far. It might even be an improvement on Beluga.
    Yeah, I'm digging that I can mute notifications for a group without a time limit! Not turning those notifications back on until PAX time.
    I just set the notification to silent. Frankly I don't really want my phone buzzing with all your silly messages, no offense forum. I check my phone compulsively, I'll see a message.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Aw we are doing group me now? Can someone add me please? Thanks.
  • I just set the notification to silent. Frankly I don't really want my phone buzzing with all your silly messages, no offense forum. I check my phone compulsively, I'll see a message.
    I'm thinking the fact that I turned notifications off altogether might be why my phone battery isn't getting eaten by the app like the rest of you guys. Just a guess, though.

• GeoGeo
    edited March 2012
    Someone add geoffino04@gmail.com?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • My phone is too old and cheap even for apps like GroupMe, so I will just have to guess as to what's happening. :/
    No support for even SMS texting? An old phone indeed.

Ro, thanks for adding me.
  • So Rym & Scott is pumping their gaming iron? I have been as well.

We still need to do the Tetris DS challenge. I will challenge anyone. I am 90% sure that I will beat anyone who I go against, however if people group up against me, I'm 50% sure.
  • So Rym & Scott is pumping their gaming iron? I have been as well.

We still need to do the Tetris DS challenge. I will challenge anyone. I am 90% sure that I will beat anyone who I go against, however if people group up against me, I'm 50% sure.
    Shit, I haven't played Tetris in forever. The muscle is atrophying.
  • I'll take on all comers in any of the personal relationship type games. Battleships Galacticus (with Cylons and all!) or House on Haunted Hill or whatever.

Also, if anyone wants to do any sort of miniatures/tactical games, I'll gladly do whatever it takes to play those.
  • I WILL run Inspectres for a select few one night if you're game.

Bufferton and Son returns!
  • By the way: Rym, Scott. Chase is going to probably force you two to be part of a Battlestations game. I'll more than likely run it, as he was supposed to learn the rules so I could take a turn at playing as a player, but since he's Chase I don't think that happened.
  • I'm listening to the India episode right now and I laughed so hard when you mentioned me pwning in Bohnanza. I will contest that Dromaro beat all of us when we played at Prime. He used a good strategy that I will not mention. :P

However, with that game I love me some haggling.
  • I'll be at the Hynes all weekend, but I'd like to keep tabs on how everyone's doing (especially if anyone comes over to AB). Can you add me? lou@tealstudios.com
  • However, with that game I love me some haggling.
    My favorite move is to refuse to take someone's free beans as revenge for past dickishness on their part.

• However, with that game I love me some haggling.
    My favorite move is to refuse to take someone's free beans as revenge for past dickishness on their part.
    Yet more reason I don't act like a dick in this game. :P
  • Can someone add kewlguy01@gmail.com?