This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• As much as I understand the pub crawls and the pre and post PAX events, why have an event during PAX that's not at PAX?

I know at Prime they Halo people had their own special exclusive thing, but it was in the annex which was still attached to the convention center. Do a lot of people go to these sorts of things?
    I was looking at the map yesterday, and it looked like the Intel people have their own mini event within an event going on this year.
  • As much as I understand the pub crawls and the pre and post PAX events, why have an event during PAX that's not at PAX?

I know at Prime they Halo people had their own special exclusive thing, but it was in the annex which was still attached to the convention center. Do a lot of people go to these sorts of things?
    Most conventions kind of suck, or else have a primary appeal that is the people being the same physical place at the same time. Hence, much "convention culture" centers around room parties and external events.

PAX is fairly unique in the sheer amount of content it brings to the table.

I was looking at the map yesterday, and it looked like the Intel people have their own mini event within an event going on this year.
    I might try to win an i7 + motherboard and such if the contest is not too onerous, like matching numbers bullshit.
  • As much as room parties are cool, if you don't have a huge open space for doing stuff instead of beds, then it's no good to me.

If I were rolling in the monies, I would totally get a suite of some sort with ample space to host room parties to game it up. Otherwise, I'll be at PAX.

I guess I must be spoiled this way. PAX, look what you have done to me! You make my perceptions and expectations of everything else too damn high!
  • That and if you want to drink and not pay a million dollars at the convention or attached hotels, you go to other venues near by or rooms :-p
  • RymRym
    edited April 2012
    Yeah. At Anime Central or Otakon or Ohayocon, the room parties were the main event. Even Katsucon, I spent most of my time either presenting, chilling with VideoKatsu, or in the hotel bar.

PAX doesn't need Big Fire.

Room parties at PAX would exist solely to have private conversation/drinking time with friends between PAX things.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • As much as room parties are cool, if you don't have a huge open space for doing stuff instead of beds, then it's no good to me.

If I were rolling in the monies, I would totally get a suite of some sort with ample space to host room parties to game it up. Otherwise, I'll be at PAX.

I guess I must be spoiled this way. PAX, look what you have done to me! You make my perceptions and expectations of everything else too damn high!
    Interestingly enough, this was the only way I rolled to DragonCon. A ridiculous number of friends banded together to get a suite, and it made it cheap. It also gave us a great place to party, drink, and play random board games. Mostly the former.

If FRC can be more organized next year, we could probably end up springing for a suite.
  • If someone throws an FRCF room party, I would attend. But I am out of the game of running my own room parties. It was long ago, and we were very young.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/3078808150/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/3078808048/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/3078807990/

Room parties are a thankless task, and no on remembers the people who actually run or prepare them. They remember the people who are socially prominent at them.

If I ever run such a thing again, I'll pay other people to run it and simply enjoy it as the host. ;^)
  • I need to try MAGFest, but PAX has been the only convention I've gone to where the best part was actually the convention.
  • I would argue that MAGfest brings enough to the table that room parties are not the main focus. The issue with MAGfest is that almost all of the good stuff is heard via word of mouth or being at the right spot at the right time for the after hours insanity.
  • edited April 2012
    We didn't have a room party at MAGFest, just a point where we were collectively gamed out and in the room drinking for an hour. :P
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • MAGFest is also one of the rare exceptions.

Believe, me, I've been to a ton of conventions. The MAGFests and PAXes of the world are the exception, not the rule.
  • After many years of cramming a bunch of people in a room to save money, those days are over. It's worth it to be able to sleep in a bed, without having to discuss who gets bed. Not running out of towels. Not having to hide our occupancy number from hotel staff. Not risking getting kicked out of the room for partying. Not having to wait for a shower. Not running out of towels. Not worry about my own stuff in my own room.

If you want to get a suite to party, it's all you. Feel free to invite me over!
  • edited April 2012
    ^^^^ I may. I, too, enjoy being able to sleep in a bed and having the benefits of being an adult.
    If someone throws an FRCF room party, I would attend. But I am out of the game of running my own room parties. It was long ago, and we were very young.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/3078808150/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/3078808048/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/3078807990/

Room parties are a thankless task, and no on remembers the people who actually run or prepare them. They remember the people who are socially prominent at them.

If I ever run such a thing again, I'll pay other people to run it and simply enjoy it as the host. ;^)
    This is an excellent summary. Our room parties were never really "organized". They were more like swirling vortex of food, drinks and people.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • If someone throws an FRCF room party, I would attend. But I am out of the game of running my own room parties. It was long ago, and we were very young.

Ok Mr. Jay Gatsby.
    I wonder if you could get away with a cover charge.

Ok Mr. Jay Gatsby.
    I wonder if you could get away with a cover charge.
    Everyone has to bring a new book
  • Hmm, another idea for Thursday afternoon (prior to gaming in the lobby, etc.) would be to go on a Sam Adams' brewery tour. I've always wanted to see giant shiny tanks filled with goo.
  • Hey, I'm bringing some of my leftover gear/tentacle/etc t-shirts to help reduce the stuff I have to cram into Pete's apartment. They will be free. They will be first-come, first-serve. I will have a few (2 or 3) in each size from S to XL. Find me early if you want one, as I'll likely be foisting them off on random strangers so I don't have to carry them around all day.
  • Oh if you could save me a tentacle XL I totally bought one from you a while ago at CTcon and for some reason I never found it after I bought it :-p
  • edited April 2012
    Well that wouldn't be first come first serve, would it, Scott? :P

My XLs are extremely limited. I've already stuck the shirts I'm bringing into the bag. If you don't get what you want at the con, we can talk after; I might still have some here, and I'm selling them for extremely discounted clearance prices. If I could get around to photographing them for the Etsy shop, anyway...
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Hmm, another idea for Thursday afternoon (prior to gaming in the lobby, etc.) would be to go on a Sam Adams' brewery tour. I've always wanted to see giant shiny tanks filled with goo.
    Not gonna lie, the Sam Adams brewery tour is not exciting from a brewer standpoint. The tasting class they give is quite good, but the brewery itself is actually quite small. Harpoon allegedly has a better tour.

• Packing tonight and tomorrow, making final checks is a pain in the ass today.
    Not gonna lie, the Sam Adams brewery tour is not exciting from a brewer standpoint. The tasting class they give is quite good, but the brewery itself is actually quite small. Harpoon allegedly has a better tour.
    Saranac still has the best tour.
    Saranac still has the best tour.
    Is that in Bostonia, and more importantly free? This question goes for both the Harpoon and Saranac.
  • Saranac is the only thing of note in Utica, NY. It's $5.
  • So far the weather forecast is calling for a sunny, upper 50s weekend. Not bad. Let's hope it stays that way.
  • So far the weather forecast is calling for a sunny, upper 50s weekend. Not bad. Let's hope it stays that way.
    Don't really care about the weather outside. As far as I'm concerned the weather calls for an incredibly dry constant 65 degrees completely overcast. Bring your chap stick and ricola.
  • edited April 2012
    You should care since we mainly hoof it to the local eateries unless somepony likes to take the carriage.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited April 2012
    You should care since we mainly hoof it to the local eateries.
    I biked to work today in shorts, and it was cold. I don't think Boston can really do anything to bother me.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Don't really care about the weather outside. As far as I'm concerned the weather calls for an incredibly dry constant 65 degrees completely overcast. Bring your chap stick and ricola.
    But for the rest of us who plan to eat at some point, bring a jacket.