This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• I am in the Arachnid Theater from 9-2. It's a pretty easy panel room gig and I get to watch "Going Cardboard."
  • Dresses?! Bah! :P

My plan is to dress up Saturday night/evening before or after we get dinner. I'll play it by ear, but definite gaming all dressed up with makeups and what not.

Already starting to pack, get things in order, found my lanyard, PAX dice, Pinkie Pie keychain, you know, all the important things.
    That's what I'm planning to do. I'm gonna grab my dress up clothes and wear it to dinner then gaming.
  • I doubt I will recognize anyone by sight but Rym and Scott. I'm all for the black-tie gaming (though I may go sans tie), I've even packed the suit at this point, but without some kind of clue about when or where to show up I'm not actually sure I'll be able to participate. Obviously this could totally change if I end up knowing everyone by name by Friday evening.
  • There is also a trolley that goes to and from the BCEC to the local eateries. Might be a good idea to check it out sometime if we don't feel like hoofing it.

Literally the only one of those I've heard of is The Whiskey Priest, and I've never eaten there. In a city as big as Boston, that doesn't mean they're bad, but certainly non-noteable. The Waterfront of Boston is pretty massively underdeveloped compaired to the rest of the city. It's kinda obnoxious. I pretty much survived on two meals a day of CheeseBoy at South Station.

The other problem is that it's on the Red Line, which pretty much exists to go from Braintree (Way south of the city) straight through to Cambridge and parts of Sommerville. Even going four or five stops in either direction, there's very little outstanding or unique food. I almost want to recommend treking to the Back Bay, but that's a half hour each way by MBTA (For comparison, it's about that same distance to get to Harvard Square, way on the other fuck side of the Red Line).

Pretty much, your best bet is LTK every day, South Station, or delivery.
  • Legal Test Kitchen was good, but pricey. Aren't there a lot if restaurants on the strip with Whiskey Priest?
  • I'm not sure. I would be somewhat careful going to any random pub or restaurant in that area. Not super duper careful, but more careful than not. It's right near Southie, which is where all the townies for Boston live. It has an... interesting history regarding outsiders. Especially non-irish folk. It's not as bad now as it used to be way back when, but it still makes me a bit nervous (I'm a pussy, though).
  • Would it be OK to cross dress in a suit made entirely of someone else's skin, diligently lotioned over the course of several days, then carefully carved from their flesh? I think I could pull it off. I'd fuck me.
  • It's right near Southie, which is where all the townies for Boston live. It has an... interesting history regarding outsiders. Especially non-irish folk.
    If you're concerned about being seen as an outsider, all you have to do is wear one of these hats. It's like instant New Englander camouflage. But whatever you do, don't get a pink one. ;)
  • Lately they've been seeing through those. If you want to be safe you get one with a sticker and leave it on. I don't know why, you just do. The only person I know who does this and stays my friend says he does it because "it's shiny; I like things that are shiny." Either there's something else for most or Bostonians are magpies.
  • I am pretty certain you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
  • Yeah, of course - it's just fun to taunt Bostonians, and making fun of the accent just doesn't come across as well in text form. :P
  • edited April 2012
    Dresses?! Bah! :P

My plan is to dress up Saturday night/evening before or after we get dinner. I'll play it by ear, but definite gaming all dressed up with makeups and what not.

Already starting to pack, get things in order, found my lanyard, PAX dice, Pinkie Pie keychain, you know, all the important things.
    Pinstripe pants and a nice blouse + makeup & accessories. That's what I'll be rockin. All day Saturday.

We are TRYING to find Pete a hat to go with his suit. Apparently this is harder than expected because his head is the HEAD OF GIANTS.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • Seriously. I am apparently 2X EVERYWHERE.
  • Lately they've been seeing through those. If you want to be safe you get one with a sticker and leave it on. I don't know why, you just do. The only person I know who does this and stays my friend says he does it because "it's shiny; I like things that are shiny." Either there's something else for most or Bostonians are magpies.
    You should not be friends with anyone who wears one of those baseball caps with a perfectly unbent rim and the sticker still on it.

• Ran out of things to do. Now impatiently waiting.
    You should not be friends with anyone who wears one of those baseball caps with a perfectly unbent rim and the sticker still on it.
    I still really want to know why this hat-sticker thing is done. I always end up with answers akin to 'Who is John Gault?' It's very annoying.
  • edited April 2012
    Again, he's not one of those douchebags. He shares my bewilderment at the phenomenon. He genuinely wears it because it is shiny.

@attire, I've got a pinstripe suit and fedora waiting and ready. Are we just doing Saturday, or also Friday?
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Do what you want, man! Don't wait for us to dictate your wardrobe. If you want to gussy up on Friday, go for it.
  • FYI, Jeremy plans on going to a real barber shop on Thursday morning/midday to get a real shave.

From Google Maps, the closest place is 3/4 mile from the Westin called Lograsso's Barbershop. If any other gents are down, you're more than welcome to join him.
  • I might not do classy board games, partly because I don't know if I want to pack my suit, but mostly because my late shift would probably interfere with it anyways.
  • I am about to leave for Boston. I am so excite you don't even know.
  • I am about to leave for Boston. I am so excite you don't even know.
    We know. We all has the same excite.

• It's my Friday. Work better go by fast. I've been listening to video game OSTs, remixes, and the like.

East coast, you better be prepared for the arrival of Ro & Jeremy. :D
  • My Friday is tomorrow, I must sit through 2 more days of work and not-gaming ;-;
  • It's my Friday. Work better go by fast. I've been listening to video game OSTs, remixes, and the like.

East coast, you better be prepared for the arrival of Ro & Jeremy. :D
    I have so much to finish up today, it's crazy. I shouldn't be posting on the Forum, I should be working. However, the excitement is palpable.
  • I can't wait to get out of class today since I have so much left to do. I also need to work on my car for the drive into Boston tomorrow. I'm lucky that it happens to be sunny and clear skies today. Rainbow Dash clearly helped me out today.
  • Getting packed up now! For those who will be around on Thursday, I will see you at the Westin, I'll be the guy who looks like Dante from Clerks (see the What Does Everyone Look Like thread), wearing a Serenity shirt.

Don't forget to bring yer Chahhlie Cahhds! :)
  • Just toggled off mute in Groupme, oh shit PAX is really here! Looks like I'll be in around 5 tomorrow. It's gonna be a flat out race to get there and get to will call media badge pickup before they close. See you folks afterwards.
  • I'm about to enter radio silence. Pre-pax party in KC before flying out tomorrow arriving around 11. I am also at the Westin. I also have a picture in the thread, and may or may not have stupid hats.

To battle!
  • I will also be lacking access to the board. However, unmuting the Groupme.