This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• There is also a trolley that goes to and from the BCEC to the local eateries. Might be a good idea to check it out sometime if we don't feel like hoofing it.

• I didn't bring a coat last year, or even anything really long-sleeved. Ventured out Saturday night looking for food in the kilt and a t-shirt. I'll be fine. ;^)
  • I might be willing to just pay money for a straight up cab to go eat good food without losing precious time.
  • That's what we did on Thursday to go to the awesome Greek place near the Hynes as well as for the Trader Joes. Probably do the same this year.
  • You can always order food from a real restaurant from Grubhub.com and have them deliver saving you 100% of time.
  • edited April 2012
    You can always order food from a real restaurant from Grubhub.com and have them deliver saving you 100% of time.
    Genius. Never thought of using grubhub or seamless when traveling. Always ask hotel desk for menus and then use telephone.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2012
    That's not a bad idea, however, I don't mind going out every now and then to get away to relax and have food with good company.

And just checked, yes, they have an app for iOS and Android.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That's not a bad idea, however, I don't mind going out every now and then to get away to relax and have food with good company.

And just checked, yes, they have an app for iOS and Android.
    I'm so happy GrubHub bought CampusFood. CampusFood sucked. They didn't even have a mobile app, their website was ballls, and one time they completely lost my order. I called the restaurant and the guy had no record of my order getting through at all.
  • You guys realize all that seamless and grubhub do is take your order and fax it to the restaurant.
  • You guys realize all that seamless and grubhub do is take your order and fax it to the restaurant.
    Which is way orders sometimes fail. Restaurants really, really, really, really suck at dealing with technology.

Which is way orders sometimes fail. Restaurants really, really, really, really suck at dealing with technology.
    Cause they went into business to make food, not deal with tech.
    Cause they went into business to make food, not deal with tech.
    Any business that thinks any business doesn't involve that they do AND tech is run by doomed fools.

The idea of calling a restaurant to order food will be as archaic as a rotary phone in fewer years than you'd think. I certainly don't order food from places I have to call: it's only a matter of time.
  • @Nuri: I'll take a L if you got it.
    Hmm, another idea for Thursday afternoon (prior to gaming in the lobby, etc.) would be to go on a Sam Adams' brewery tour. I've always wanted to see giant shiny tanks filled with goo.
    Not gonna lie, the Sam Adams brewery tour is not exciting from a brewer standpoint. The tasting class they give is quite good, but the brewery itself is actually quite small. Harpoon allegedly has a better tour.
    I'd like to say that Harpoon has a better TASTING then Sam Adam's. I think both the tours are lack luster. Sam Adam's has a better building, but it's a trip from the con. Harpoon is within walking distance (3 blocks) of PAX. I'm not a huge fan of the beers, but I appreciate there "go nuts" attitude at the tasting.

MAGfest got me in the habit of meeting back at the room for a drink before dinner or before anything else...
  • So, about this black tie thing. I am way out of the loop and haven't had a lot of forum time lately. Can someone fill me in on the details and who plans to do it? I only ask because I am looking for optimal packing. I also have a gazillion dresses.
  • Woah, grubhub on the go. That is an excellent idea. Also, Harpoon being within a walking distance is pure win.
    I didn't realize it was that primitive. Do they at least have an option to hook directly into their system for restaurants that choose to be a bit more technologically literate?
  • So, about this black tie thing. I am way out of the loop and haven't had a lot of forum time lately. Can someone fill me in on the details and who plans to do it? I only ask because I am looking for optimal packing. I also have a gazillion dresses.
    AFAIK, there is no particular plan beyond "let's get gussied up and play games some night." I will at most dress up once. George will rock a suit all weekend. I believe Ro and Nuri are bringing one set of fancy clothes each. Rym will probably wear a blazer with his kilt, because it's Rym. Wyatt will probably do the same, only with less shame. Details will probably be hashed out once we're there.

• edited April 2012
    I will be in enforcer grab most of the weekend, maybe a bathing suit on Thursday night :-p other then that I'll be in normal geek wear, Board gaming is fun whether dressed up or not.

\\destroyer of fun
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I wish we were cross-dressing instead. I want to see the FRC men in skirts other than their "kilts."
  • edited April 2012
    I think you think you want that; I'm pretty sure the reality is way more horrifying than you could imagine.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited April 2012
    I'll be in one of my black fancy goth dresses all day. I can't wait to see everyone! I opened my badge and put it on...I'm so excited!

Also, could someone invite me to the group me already. ^^;;
    I wish we were cross-dressing instead. I want to see the FRC men in skirts other than their "kilts."
    Why stop there! DRAG FRC PARTY!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I think you think you want that; I'm pretty sure the reality is way more horrifying than you could imagine.
    Yes, while I can look sexy in a skirt, I really have no desire to see Pete or Scojo in one.
  • No, I mean full on drag gear. Seriously.
    I'm totally up for getting dressed up unnecessarily nice.
    "Nothing Suits Me Like A Suit"
  • I'm planning on wearing a cute dress if its not balls cold out. I think we also planned on going to dinner dressed up Saturday night? Not sure if dress up is an all day thing or just night. (Of course you can do whatever you want though)
    ...I think out of all the guys going to PAX...only George would be a cutie in drag. O_o
    ...I think out of all the guys going to PAX...only George would be a cutie in drag. O_o
    Damn straight.
  • ,,,maybe a bathing suit on Thursday night,,,
    I have never been so happy about not being early to a con :D

I still have to see if I like the dress shirt & kilt combo. While I have no shame, I do have some style. I've got a few suit options. I may go with the kilt&sweater combo most weekend, and throw down the sexy suit Saturday night.
  • If anyone going to PAX has the time, can I ask any of you to do me a solid and grab a set of Dungeon Defenders PAX codes, from the Reverb Publishing booth, 808?
    I'll be doing that myself at some point so I'll try to remember to do so while I'm there.
    Cheers Boss.
    No, I mean full on drag gear. Seriously.
    I'd do it.

• Dresses?! Bah! :P

My plan is to dress up Saturday night/evening before or after we get dinner. I'll play it by ear, but definite gaming all dressed up with makeups and what not.

Already starting to pack, get things in order, found my lanyard, PAX dice, Pinkie Pie keychain, you know, all the important things.