This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Life After Divorce

edited February 2012 in Everything Else
Okay, so I went through painful despair and depression, and after much drama and acrimony, we decided to just divorce. We are both too tired of drama, and the pain and the hurting and the ... FLAVEN to be anything than agreeable at this point. We've settled all property questions and I have the dog. BUT - in Maryland, even a simple divorce is difficult. Maryland just became a no-fault state in October of 2011, and still requires you to prove that you've lived separate and apart for twelve months before you can eve file.

SO - I moved back to Kentucky, where you only need to be separated for ninety days (after establishing residency) before filing, and, since I know everyone in this partiicular "city", I don't believe they'll even hold me to that. It sucks in many ways, but it will be easier to do trial work here, which is what I like most of all anyway. The entire time I worked in DC, I only did one trial. They spend most of their time dreaming up ways to avoid trial. Here, it's totally different. Of course, there are few historic buildings and not many skyline views, but you can buy a 4,000 square-foot house in the middle of town for 280K (actual house listing I saw this week). When there are about 4,000 unemployed attorneys in DC, this place doesn't sound so bad.

Oh yeah - the internet kinda makes a lot of physicality moot anyway, doesn't it?

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes. I'm typing this on my phone.

Also, if anyone knows any female geeks who are looking for dates, I am teh availables.
Post edited by HungryJoe on

Comments

• Hey Joe, I'm sorry you're going through all that. I know it doesn't mean much, but I do hope life starts looking up for you from this point on.

You also have this odd way of making Kentucky sound temporarily appealing.
  • edited February 2012
    1) wait at least one year for dating.

2) see rule number 1.

3) be happy you both work and don't have kids. Alimony, child support and custody issues prevent the sort of clean break required for healing.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I have no experience with divorce, but Steve's advice here seems sound. Dating right away seems like it could present problems.
  • As your attorney, I advise you to buy a very fast car with no top.

Use it to pick up attractive young undergraduate women. Ideally, they should also have no tops.

Avoid the ones named Mattie. You know where that goes.

/but seriously, best wishes and I hope it works out

//move to New York!
  • edited February 2012
    @ lol - It actually is appealing. It feels like a toy village in a sandbox compared to what I'm used to. Also, cheapness is a factor - I bought a large desk and two client chairs for my office for one hundred dollars. Guess how much my office rent is, in a building sitting next door to the courthouse? 180 dollars per month. Parking? Twenty dollars per month. I could go on, but you'd think I was bragging too much.

@ Steve - Good advice, but I've been lonely for too long. I'm dating the first acceptable woman I find. I want to find someone who doesn't need to be told the difference between Captain Marvel and Captain Mar-Vell. Of course, that actually may take much longer than the year you mention just in the finding.

Also - I'm having a ball doing things she would not like, such as getting everything in black. Black sheets, black shower curtains, black furniture, etc. If I want a motor cycle, I can damn well get a motorcycle. If I want a pet crow (or raven, ferret, goat, owl, etc.), I can damn well get one. This list can go on and on.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • That situation is unfortunate, but I really hope things start looking up. In a way, it sounds like it already has started looking up.

If you feel like talking, or gaming, or whatever feel free to let me know. Or if you want to talk motorcycles (don't get a crotch rocket, you will die. Also don't get a Harley, because you are not an asshole) or whatever.

Also, black everything? Are you going into an emo phase, gonna start writing music about ravens and the darkness within?
  • Joe, this week is the one year anniversary of signing my divorce papers which was one year to the day of me moving out. I'm here if you want to talk.
  • Also, black everything? Are you going into an emo phase, gonna start writing music about ravens and the darkness within?
    For Joe, it's called the "Beatnik" phase. It's apropo for his age. ^_~

Joe, hang in there. You know we support you.

• Also - I'm having a ball doing things she would not like, such as getting everything in black. Black sheets, black shower curtains, black furniture, etc. If I want a motor cycle, I can damn well get a motorcycle. If I want a pet crow (or raven, ferret, goat, owl, etc.), I can damn well get one. This list can go on and on.
    Sounds like this was one of those "IBM marriages". I still don't understand how these things happen in the first place. I am honestly interested to hear how it starts so I can avoid making the mistake of the old guys.
  • Sounds like this was one of those "IBM marriages". I still don't understand how these things happen in the first place. I am honestly interested to hear how it starts so I can avoid making the mistake of the old guys.
    1. Don't let your penis be the overall judge.
    2. Make sure she has some similar interests.
    3. Refer back to 1.
    4. ??
    5. Profit
  • Sounds like this was one of those "IBM marriages". I still don't understand how these things happen in the first place. I am honestly interested to hear how it starts so I can avoid making the mistake of the old guys.
    3. Refer back to 1.
    4. ??
    5. Profit
    Be forewarned, having standards like these will not get you laid on a regular basis. Ask me how I know.
  • My penis is a judge, which explains the gavel sticking out of it
  • Interestingly enough, I don't think that having some similar interests is that important to a good relationship. Interests can come and go, I think compatible personalities are FAR more important.

My fiance doesn't really have any interests that are similar to mine (although we're both very curious about the world around us and are therefore both interested in sciences), but our personalities are incredible compatible. We're both curious about things, tackle problems from a logical and practical perspective, use humor as a tool constantly, and generally just mesh well. I don't know if this relationship will last hundreds of years, but so far it seems like a winning combination.
  • I don't really have any experience with divorce myself, but its always looked at as a bad thing, and I think that's sad. Sure, its sad that the relationship didn't work out, but I don't thing getting divorced should be something to be sad about. Be glad you're out of a bad relationship and try to just be happy again. And like you said, enjoy doing shit you couldn't do before. Be careful with the whole new relationship/dating thing though. You don't want it to end up rebound-ey.

Also - I'm having a ball doing things she would not like, such as getting everything in black. Black sheets, black shower curtains, black furniture, etc. If I want a motor cycle, I can damn well get a motorcycle. If I want a pet crow (or raven, ferret, goat, owl, etc.), I can damn well get one. This list can go on and on.
    I believe that's what the kids call "Murdered out" :P

3. Refer back to 1.
    4. ??
    5. Profit
    I know that. I want to know how someone else who is intelligent and nerdy could possibly fail to do that.
  • What the heck is an "IBM marriage" anyway?
  • It's to do with caring and emotion, Scott, I doubt you'd be able to understand.
    Rich, smart, nerd marry beautiful home maker.
  • Wait, Scott, aren't you an almost-30-year-old virgin?
  • I find it bizarre how divorce is becoming so complicated with all of these laws, like the one's George is talking about. It feels like the term "Marriage Trap" is sounding real. (Though, I mean no harm by it)

I do sympathize with what you are going through. A friend of my brother's recently had his marriage of 9 years end with divorce, and while he's remaining positive, you do go through a certain timeframe of anger and trying to put pieces together. But I'm glad that the decision was mutual and you may benefit career wise from a separation. We are open here to listen to and comfort you.
    I know that. I want to know how someone else who is intelligent and nerdy could possibly fail to do that.
    Most people get tired of repeating or having such a typical lifestyle, that conflict just kind of stews within us. That, and monogamy is really, REALLY hard and against human nature.
    You are nerdy. You marry someone who is not. You hide your Turbo Grafx16 and your Cowboy Bebop DVDs from the wife because she will throw them away if she finds them.
  • Monogamy is super easy, just make sure you don't put your penis in anyone/anything else and/or make sure your orifices dont get other things put in them!
  • Many states have reformed their divorce laws. Mothers no longer always get the kid, alimony is no longer forever, etc.
    Sorry to disappoint all the female fans out there hoping to be my first. Just because I have not had a girlfriend for a long time, and am not really trying at all to find one, does not mean I'm a virgin.
    You are nerdy. You marry someone who is not. You hide your Turbo Grafx16 and your Cowboy Bebop DVDs from the wife because she will throw them away if she finds them.
    Yeah. I think this speaks to the ultimate thing I've found to make a relationship flow smoothly:

Communication. Free exchange of ideas, loves, hates, and just about everything else will make things go smoother. Once I got over being afraid of letting my nerdy side show, things got a lot smoother. I could play video games, buy nerdy posters, etc. and she'd enjoy them with me (as much as she could) rather than me having a secret shame.
    Sorry to disappoint all the female fans out there hoping to be my first. Just because I have not had a girlfriend for a long time, and am not really trying at all to find one, does not mean I'm a virgin.
    What about the disappointed male fans?

If they didn't realize already that I don't like buttsecks, they are now also disappointed.
    If they didn't realize already that I don't like buttsecks, they are now also disappointed.
    Well, they can still dream about oral.

Well, they can still dream about oral.

Dream whatever you want. Just don't have any expectations.

• This thread is now, apparently, about Scott.