This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Life After Divorce

Comments

• I'm still advocating the fast car method.
    And the women, preferably convertible as well.
  • I'm still advocating the fast car method.
    And the women, preferably convertible as well.
    I agree, women are much for fun to ride when their tops are down.

• Now that I have lots of time and at least a little money, I'm seriously considering learning to play the Sousaphone as a way to attract womens. Or Bagpipes.

What musical instrument attracts the most womens? Oboe? Kettle Drums?

If I were to learn a foreign language, which one is best for attracting women? Farsi? Gaylick?
  • Bagpipes. Bitches love the pipes. Doubly so if you're kilted while playing them.
  • edited February 2012
    What musical instrument attracts the most womens? Oboe? Kettle Drums?

If I were to learn a foreign language, which one is best for attracting women? Farsi? Gaylick?
    Acoustic guitar and/or bodhran.

Gaylick is probably best if you're going for men. ;)
    Bagpipes. Bitches love the pipes. Doubly so if you're kilted while playing them.
    Says the man who owns neither bagpipes nor a kilt. That explains some things.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited February 2012
    @Scott: Having lots of overlapping interests isn't necessarily the cornerstone of a good romantic relationship. In my experience various aspects of a relationship trump shared interests, such as common values/morals, similar/compatible life goals (children/education/career/lifestyle), and mutual respect are far more sustaining than simply being into the same activities.

For instance, let's set up a hypothetical relationship between Martha and Brad. Martha is a horse rider, an anime fan, and a fantasy writer and Brad is a golfer, a baseball fan, and an amateur set painter. If Brad can enjoy/appreciate the occasional anime, learns how to ride a horse well enough to join Martha on a ride once in a while, and supports Martha's writing; and if Martha watches a few baseball games a season, goes with Brad to see the shows he painted sets for, and joins him for the occasional round of golf, then they can have a solid, mutually fulfilling relationship. Respect, time to pursue personal interests (both with and without your mate), and the willingness to participate in activities that you wouldn't naturally gravitate to (but can enjoy on occasion because you are sharing them with your partner) are all that is really necessary.

Sometimes, sharing too many interests makes it difficult to establish/maintain one's individuality in the context of a relationship. If Martha and Brad were both into golfing, baseball, and set painting, they may find that they each struggle to have any "me" time.

Additionally, interests can change and develop with time. Maybe 'Martha and Brad' met in their twenties with the list of interests/hobbies previously mentioned, but in their thirties they go on a trip to a vineyard, which they both thoroughly enjoy. By the time they are in their forties maybe they are wine connoisseurs who have left one or two interests/hobbies behind them.

It just boils down to respecting your significant other, enjoying spending time with them (no matter the activity), and being excited/happy because they are excited/happy.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited February 2012
    Bagpipes. Bitches love the pipes. Doubly so if you're kilted while playing them.
    Says the man who owns neither bagpipes nor a kilt. That explains some things.
    If you were looking to change that though, Pete, might I suggest the uilleann pipes as an alternative? They're like bagpipes, except you can play them with one arm and you don't have to blow into them, meaning you have that other arm and your mouth free to perform other tasks. Like drinking beer.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2012
    I'm also thinking of taking up boxing. That way, I could set up a speed bag in my office, and if someone was in there, I could say, "Okay, I need to go out to do X, but first I need to hit the bag for a bit."

Oh yeah - I moved everything into the office yesterday, including a foosball table.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Is 150 dollars a good price for a PS3?

Where can I go to have my back shaved?
  • Which model of PS3? New or used? Peripherals included?

Yes, and I'd recommend faking the need for back surgery so the nurses will do it for you.

Also, Farsi is a great way to pick up women. Bitches love Farsi, it makes you exotic.
  • edited February 2012
    @ Steve - Actually, dunno which model. Assume crappiest. Used. No peripherals.

I just want to play DC Universe and that Resistance game w/o spending more than five hundred dollars, because I need to have my back shaved and I don't know how much that will cost.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • You don't get your back shaved. You get it waxed. Any girly waxing place will do it.
  • edited February 2012
    Don't have your back shaved; have it waxed. You can probably have it done at any day spa or beauty salon that offers waxing services to men.

Edit: LOL. Scott ninja'd me. BTW, not ALL "girly" waxing places offer services for men.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited February 2012
    Actually, dunno which model. Used. No peripherals.

I just want to play DC Universe and that Resistance game w/o spending more than five hundred dollars, because I need to have my back shaved and I don't know how much that will cost.
    If it works, $150 is a good price for it, hands down. The nice thing about the PS3 is that the older models reliably play PS2 games without having to go through the Play Station Network and download them, and PS2 games can be found for the price of an extra value meal, if you super size it.

Peripherals can be slightly expensive, but really all you need is a wireless controller and some sort of USB cord to recharge it. That should be around $30 or so, maybe cheaper.

So you'd be looking at a total cost (rounding up to include an HDMI cable from Monoprice) of around $200. That's still not terrible, although if you were to compare to another retailer, you can get this for around $200.

So $150 is a decent price, sure as sure. I'd check the model, see what GB the hdd is. Usually the PS3's I've seen at that price are either older ones that someone is trying to be rid of quickly via the Craig's List, a non tech-savvy Pawn Shop has it, or something similar.

WAIT. You're in Kentucky now, is back shaving/waxing legal there? Or do they see that as a gateway to homosexuality?
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Don't have your back shaved; have it waxed. You can probably have it done at any day spa or beauty salon that offers waxing services to men.

Edit: LOL. Scott ninja'd me. BTW, not ALL "girly" waxing places offer services for men.
    Also, when you do find a place that offers services to men if they offer a free waxing of other areas and you are willing to accept it be prepared to be the least manly person in the building.
    Sounds like a good price, but make sure it's not janky.

Don't get it shaved, get it waxed. It may hurt, but it's better. Or possible laser removal. I'm not sure how well each work, but it's definitely preferred over shaving.
  • Shaving leads to stubble. Do you really want back stuble?

Resistance? Awesome game. You can pick up a two pack with one and two for a decent price or buy them used for possibly cheaper.

You should have made this purchase sooner, I just got rid of some PS3 games for shit money at GS.
  • Also wondering if I should have my hair colored. Unlike Scott, I still have all my hair.

I'm thinking of getting it bleached, like Sting. Only thing holding me back is my beard, eyebrows, and ear hair are all pretty dark, my eyes are dark, I have a dark complexion, and I have a dark outlook on life, so bleach blond might not be good for me.

Should I let eyebrows grow wild to get old man eyebrows?

Can you wear those cats-eye contact lenses all day? If so, I want some. How much would it cost to have my canines sharpened to fangs? Not obnoxious fangs - understated, tasteful fangs.

I'd like to get some sort of LED dealie that I could wear over an eye but under sunglasses so it would glow red through the sunglasses like teh Terminator. Is this possible?

Last thing - need to get Tesla Coil for office.
  • If you want to. Don't you have salt and pepper hair? If so, keep it. That is such a great look on older men.

Wait...not sure if you're serious with the rest of it or trolling.

Or is this the Joe-I'm-going-crazy-and-sowing-my-wild-oats-and-celebrating-my-freedom-with-doing-things-I-would-have-never-done-before?
  • Also wondering if I should have my hair colored. Unlike Scott, I still have all my hair.

I'm thinking of getting it bleached, like Sting. Only thing holding me back is my beard, eyebrows, and ear hair are all pretty dark, my eyes are dark, I have a dark complexion, and I have a dark outlook on life, so bleach blond might not be good for me.

Should I let eyebrows grow wild to get old man eyebrows?

Can you wear those cats-eye contact lenses all day? If so, I want some. How much would it cost to have my canines sharpened to fangs? Not obnoxious fangs - understated, tasteful fangs.

I'd like to get some sort of LED dealie that I could wear over an eye but under sunglasses so it would glow red through the sunglasses like teh Terminator. Is this possible?

Last thing - need to get Tesla Coil for office.
    "So will you take the case?"
    "I don't know. Let's find out how resistant to electricity you are."
  • Which would be better for a law office?

Tesla Coil?
    Van de Graff generator?
    Jacob's Ladder?
    Full-on Organic Lab Distillation Apparatus?

Ro, these are all things I'm seriously considering. Very serious, in fact, about guitar and bagpipes.

As said before, I already have a foosball table in teh orifice.
  • Why didn't you have this stuff before ^_^
  • edited February 2012
    Which would be better for a law office?

Tesla Coil?
    Van de Graff generator?
    Jacob's Ladder?
    Full-on Organic Lab Distillation Apparatus?

Ro, these are all things I'm seriously considering. Very serious, in fact, about guitar and bagpipes.

As said before, I already have a foosball table in teh orifice.
    Dude, you need none of that. Get this. If you get the right one, you get some Uranium.

Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Well, It really depends on how tolerant your office-neighbors are. Keeping them in the office, then a VDG or Tesla coil is going to be more visually striking, and make your office look like a Law office for Supervillians and Mad scientists. Jacobs ladders don't look like much unless they're running.

Running them? Well, a VDG would be the quietest. Jacobs ladders are pretty loud, and Tesla coils are really, really loud. For a mid-size coil, you'd really want to be wearing good hearing protection kinda loud.
  • VDG = awesomest. Bitches love contained electricity.
  • edited February 2012
    @Joe: You can play DC Universe on Steam for free. Also, real men grow all the hair. ALL THE HAIR.

Exhibit A

@Scott: Also consider the benefits of dating/mating/marrying a person who has opposite but complimentary values. For instance, I am a very organized person, but I need Lisa to obsessively push me into cleanliness. She also uses her Relationship Crowbar™ to force me to be more social than I would be naturally. She keeps my nerdiness in check and I show her the fun of geeky things she would normally avoid. She forces me to be more responsible and I force her to relax.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • @Joe: You can play DC Universe on Steam for free. Also, real men grow all the hair. ALL THE HAIR.

Exhibit A

@Scott: Also consider the benefits of dating/mating/marrying a person who has opposite but complimentary values. For instance, I am a very organized person, but I need Lisa to obsessively push me into cleanliness. She also uses her Relationship Crowbar™ to force me to be more social than I would be naturally. She keeps my nerdiness in check and I show her the fun of geeky things she would normally avoid. She forces me to be more responsible and I force her to relax.
    Why do you need someone to push you? If I know and want to do X, I do X. No pushing required. If I don't want to, and don't believe I need to do X, no amount of pushing will make me do it. I guess if I had a lack of willpower it would be helpful to have someone force me do things, like my mom forced me to do things as a child. I don't really need that at this point in my life.
  • I noticed Star Trek went free to play. I been really into Star Trek lately. Is it worth playing for free?