This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Meta Forum Comments

Comments

• I wonder what proportion of Rym's 412 comments in the last month were popcorn GIFs.
    410. And the other two were text about popcorn gifs.

• Being on laptop and having popcorn = decided to make my own eating popcorn gif.
    Now I can too enjoy the flamewars of the forums.
  • I feel like I go through waves of posting often, and right now I'm at a low point. I just don't want to be dragged into flamewars.
  • I feel validated, I got quoted by Scott.
  • Scott, any chance we could get this installed for the forums?
    I'm opposed to it on philosophical grounds. If you don't like someone, just don't read their fucking posts. Use your little mouse wheel and scroll past.
  • Yeah I know what that's for, but seriously I'm done. You're right ROE, and I'm gonna stop reading the republican thread
  • Yeah I know what that's for, but seriously I'm done. You're right ROE, and I'm gonna stop reading the republican thread
    Heard that before.
    Scott, any chance we could get this installed for the forums?
    I'm opposed to it on philosophical grounds. If you don't like someone, just don't read their fucking posts. Use your little mouse wheel and scroll past.
    A fair answer.
  • If people are interested, I could write a Vanilla Ignore User browser extension fairly easily.
  • Nah, we don't seem to have that big of a problem with trolls, and scrolling down is a pretty effective solution.
  • I mean what can I say? You can come beat me up if you want.
  • edited November 2012
    I mean what can I say? You can come beat me up if you want.
    I don't want to hurt you. I want you to have better opinions, but you're against that. So now I'm going to ignore and/or mock you for hilarity. Probably more the first than the last, because that could really get mean. I can be horribly mean.

I don't generally settle arguments with a fist fight or anything. I tend to want to talk them out.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Well, I already figured out how to do it, so I might as well put it here. If you type this bit of JQuery/JS into your browser's developer console (in Chrome: F12->Console tab), it'll hide that user's posts on the current forum thread. You could even make it into a bookmarklet for your bookmarks bar.

$("a[title='Troll Username Here']").parent().parent().parent().hide();
  • You need more parent calls.
  • Honestly, I think the better idea would be the ability to hide threads we don't care about. Vanilla doesn't seem to filter the front page by anything but what has been posted into last, so discussions I do care about can get pushed out of the way eventually.

Granted, it doesn't really matter since the farthest back I need to go is to page 2 or 3.
  • Honestly, I think the better idea would be the ability to hide threads we don't care about. Vanilla doesn't seem to filter the front page by anything but what has been posted into last, so discussions I do care about can get pushed out of the way eventually.

Granted, it doesn't really matter since the farthest back I need to go is to page 2 or 3.
    You can do the opposite of this. Apply the star to the threads you care about, then you can see a list of just the ones you have starred.
    You mean the same way you ignore religious flamewars?

• edited November 2012
    I do star all the ones I do care about, they show up in the far right though. Not the main part of the page. I still am forced to see the atrocity that is the ClopClop My Little Pony thread though.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
    You mean the same way you ignore religious flamewars?

I ignore when I want to.
  • One could simply ignore posters the same way one ignores hobos and train musicians.

• One could simply ignore posters the same way one ignores hobos and train musicians.

By murdering them and harvesting their organs for our benefit?

• Why don't I have ignore button in real life?
  • I wish I had an EMP gun that can target specific things only like the stupid people who blast their car stereos think that they are cool. Or parking it in front of my building and blaring it for a long period of time, not having any regard for anyone else or that other people live there.

Dude, when a hobo pees all over a train, I can no longer ignore said hobo.

Dude, when a hobo pees all over a train, I can no longer ignore said hobo.

I think you can ignore a hobo who is hiding in his cardboard box typing furiously.
  • Depends on how loud his keyboard is, and how much pee he produces.
  • Hard to ignore a hobo on a bus when he's getting his hobostank all over the place and you're already motion sick.
  • Hard to ignore a hobo on a bus when he's getting his hobostank all over the place and you're already motion sick.
    Apt analogy.
    Apt analogy.
    Yeah well I'm not gonna be the hobo anymore. At least I won't be stinking up the place.
  • You need more parent calls.
    Yeah, it looks like I could have actually used .parents("li") instead of the parent calls. Didn't know about the .parents() function.