This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• You can try to claim you are diabetic so you can call dibs on a fridge.

^^;;
  • You can always ask them to empty out the mini-bar.
    Is that usually effective? I've never tried. Also some of those mini-bars are custom-made to hold beverages so it would be hard to stack up a bunch of salads or somesuch.

Place hand towel in bottom of sink, fill with ice, you now have a fridge! Now go brush your teeth in the toliete like a man
    We've lived out of a cooler at ConnectiCon . . . man I never want to do that again. Also if being a man means I'd have to brush my teeth in the toilet I am seriously considering remaining a woman.
  • They will empty out mini-bars if requested (kinda common if there are minors in the room anyway). As for how that device is organized, that's a matter of luck.
  • Careful. Many hotels will just lock the minibar if you make this request.
  • Never depend on getting a fridge. Even when the hotel says there is one, I have sometimes gotten stuck without one. More and more, I go for shelf-stable alternatives. Of course, that works best if you can make it yourself (or if you get your fiance to do it).

A cooler is not so bad. I have a 7-day cooler and it only needs new ice once during the weekend if you don't leave it open while you sort through stuff and prepare your food. Anyway, the hotels have ice machines, so whatevs.
  • Parking at Seaport is pretty expensive - $35/24hrs. I understand that city parking is expensive, but I'd still like to cut down on that cost if I can. Anyone know of another parking garage in the area that's a bit cheaper?
  • That's cheap for convention center areas...

I've paid $45+/day. The real answer is to not bring your car, or to park fairly far away and take mass transit in. ;^)
  • So, all other plans have fallen through, and I'm trying desperately to fix things.

Does anyone have a room where two males could sleep Friday and Saturday night? Will (Yuyuke) and I literally just need space to fall asleep for a couple of hours at PAX. Basically every other plan that doesn't involve a risk of getting picked up for vagrancy has been attempted. This is my last ditch effort before commuting Friday and Red Bulling Saturday/Sunday.
    Bringing this back up to the current page, as we still do not have a hotel for PAX. If any of you are willing to put up with the two of us for the weekend, I hereby vow that you will be compensated well and fully for the sleeping space that you provide for us.

That said, if it comes right down to it, I will not hesitate to drive into Boston every morning and home every night if I have to. PAX waits for no man, and I shall do everything in my power not to miss it, especially because I'm enforcing!
  • So, all other plans have fallen through, and I'm trying desperately to fix things.

Does anyone have a room where two males could sleep Friday and Saturday night? Will (Yuyuke) and I literally just need space to fall asleep for a couple of hours at PAX. Basically every other plan that doesn't involve a risk of getting picked up for vagrancy has been attempted. This is my last ditch effort before commuting Friday and Red Bulling Saturday/Sunday.
    Bringing this back up to the current page, as we still do not have a hotel for PAX. If any of you are willing to put up with the two of us for the weekend, I hereby vow that you will be compensated well and fully for the sleeping space that you provide for us.

That said, if it comes right down to it, I will not hesitate to drive into Boston every morning and home every night if I have to. PAX waits for no man, and I shall do everything in my power not to miss it, especially because I'm enforcing!
    Machinations are afoot.
  • A cooler is not so bad. I have a 7-day cooler and it only needs new ice once during the weekend if you don't leave it open while you sort through stuff and prepare your food. Anyway, the hotels have ice machines, so whatevs.
    I am now rethinking my hardline stand on coolers, especially as I consider the food options in and near the BCEC. Perhaps I need one of the newfangled coolers with a spigot on the side for the ice run-off. Or just a better cooler in general; I can't imagine only needing new ice once per weekend.
  • Places to eat near the BCEC: there's a 7-11 and a Dunkin Donuts about three blocks north, and if you walk all the way to the waterfront there are expensive restaurants. That's it.
  • Cooler is def a great option (especially if you've got that 7-day fancy one) if you are forced to do PAX on a tight budget or have some real dietary restriction.

As for the rest of us, I know people talk crap on the BCEC food options (because let's face it, they are subpar as far as most convention centers are concerned) but this is not a famine zone. You can definitely survive on the local fare, even the crowded/overpriced food with the BCEC itself.

I've had at least 3 good meals at Barlow's (<10 min walk). Go on Thursday, or go early dinner during the weekend and you'll get a table with not much wait.

My big recommendation, if you don't mind taking a 5 min cab (or 30 min walk) is <a href="http://www.myersandchang.com/">Meyers & Chang for Sunday dim sum brunch. It's a funky Chinese food diner w/ different takes on some standard dishes. I highly suggest the tea-smoked ribs.
  • edited March 2013
    Places to eat near the BCEC: there's a 7-11 and a Dunkin Donuts about three blocks north, and if you walk all the way to the waterfront there are expensive restaurants. That's it.
    By the waterfront, there was a more casual fish place diagonal from a fancy fish place. The fancier place was an absolute service nightmare. Wish I could remember the names but try to avoid.

Edit: found it - it was The Daily Catch. Fuck that place!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I'm bringing instant coffee, tea, and oatmeal for my morning fix. I plan on getting more things at Trader Joe's and planning on going out to eat a decent place once a day, two max. The places at the BCEC weren't that bad, imo. Plus it's going to be fucking cold outside so my desire to walk longer distances for that lobster mac n' cheese at the Test Kitchen are going to diminish.
  • Based on my experience last year, most places in Boston are:
    • far away, or
    • require reservations, or
    • both
    There is a food court on the top floor, above the expo hall, which I didn't notice until the second day. It is mediocre and overpriced, but it will sustain you if you don't have better plans. Funnel cake and cotton candy in the queue room are the nuclear option.
  • Yeah, for anyone outside New England, the Boston area is currently getting a not-insignificant amount of snow, and it's supposed to be in the low 40's over the weekend, so plan appropriately.

I'm bringing a small cooler myself, since my stomach recently decided that it no longer wants me to have gluten, and that can be a challenge when eating out. But if you want to eat something higher quality than the convention center food court, don't forget there is also a satisfactory Irish pub-type place attached to the lobby of the Westin, and if you can get a seat (or play a game in the lobby while waiting for a table), it's a good way to have a sit-down meal without leaving the building.
  • How did all of you guys miss the South Station food court? Also 10 minutes away, the food is not stellar, but it's cheap enough to live off of for three days.
  • Based on my experience last year, most places in Boston are:
    • far away, or
    • require reservations, or
    • both
    Or food court-y, like at South Station.

At least, these things are true from the BCEC. For those coming to Anime Boston. the picture's quite a bit different since AB is at the Hynes, with lots of varied dining options (plus a Trader Joes!) within a 5-minute walk.

• How did all of you guys miss the South Station food court? Also 10 minutes away, the food is not stellar, but it's cheap enough to live off of for three days.
    I grab a grilled cheese there on my way home, but I never thought of going there to get food regularly. Good idea!
  • I presume the snow will stay and not melt throughout the week? I forget. It's been over a year since I've seen that stuff.
  • That's cheap for convention center areas...

I've paid $45+/day. The real answer is to not bring your car, or to park fairly far away and take mass transit in. ;^)
    I'm actually taking the train for this very reason. The train is about as long as driving and gas+tolls would have been about the same as the train, maybe a little more, but I'd get murdered parking for 4 days.
  • There's a pizza place not too far from the BCEC that served decent pizza and will deliver, at least to the Seaport, so they should be able to deliver to the Westin as well. There's also a Burger King and some other stuff down a long road along the side of the Westin, as I recall.
  • I presume the snow will stay and not melt throughout the week? I forget. It's been over a year since I've seen that stuff.
    It's freezing rain right now. The next few days have highs in the 30s and 40s, with some snow showers, so I'm guessing we'll have at least remnants when you get here.

• Does Grubhub have decent options in Boston?

I need friends to go get dinner with this time around. I have no traveling companions.
  • Your best bets for food near the BCEC are South Station or taking a Cab/the T to the Back Bay. Delivery in that area is spotty from what I remember, and there's basically nothing else.
  • Oh snap. Super Giant games will have the early build of their next game Transistor available to demo at PAX.

• The best bet for food by the BCEC is Legal Test Kitchen two meals a day.
  • The best bet for food by the BCEC is Legal Test Kitchen two meals a day.
    You probably made my annual income in interest on your checking account. You don't get to have opinions on food to eat near the BCEC.
  • Rym and Scott are outliers. Do not follow their advice when it comes to the eating of foods and prices unless you have the monies.