This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planetside 2

edited November 2012 in Video Games

I figured it was time to create a dedicated thread to this puppy, in case some people have been curious about the basics and want to know what all the fuss is about. So without further babbling, let's get started shall we?

What is it?

Planetside 2 is the sequel to the vaguely successful Planetside, one of the first Massively Multiplayer First Person Shooters to gain success. Like the original, it features an open world with varied terrain and the gameplay focuses around capturing and holding various facilities.

Planetside was known for its massive battles and combined arms gameplay (air and land) and PS2 is following the same model.

See? Big battle.

How much does it cost?

As is becoming the new standard, Planetside 2 is free to play. This means that if all you care about is logging in and shooting space dudes, you can do that for free for as long as you would like.

Where SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) is making its money is through the sale of Sony Funbux, which allow you to buy boosters to help generate XP quicker or provide other small, temporary boosts. They can also be used to unlock new weapons, abilities, attachments, and cosmetic items like vehicle skins.

Wait a minute. XP? Unlocks? I thought you said this was a FPS.

Hold your space cyberhorses, I was just getting to that. So the thing that keeps you coming back to PS2 like a meathead looking for a dumbbell (I assume) is that as you kill dudes/blow up tanks/capture spots, you earn XP. The XP automatically drops "Cert Points" into a pool that you can use for a bunch of stuff, as well as allowing you to move up in the ranks.

Cert Points can be used in lieu of Sony Funbux, to unlock abilities and weapons. Currently, it takes a few hours to rack up enough cert points to unlock a new attachment. Plan on a couple days before you unlock that shiny new missile launcher, though.

Okay, so if I'm not paying to win or playing for hours on end I'm gonna lose. Goodbye!

Not true, my idiotic and handsome friend! While you can unlock tons of new stuff, you are still a space-badass right out of the nano-box. Unlike in Planetside 1, you don't have to wait for certs to unlock to take control of any of the vehicles. If you don't mind being limited to the stock weapons (which are generally adequate, but not amazing), you'll be able to pilot/drive anything you want, and you can certainly be deadly even on foot.

You got me hooked. What factions are there? Are they pretty much all the same?

They are the same in that they are all human. However, each faction does play differently and is better suited to certain types of people. The factions are:

New Conglomerate - Space-Libertarians! They want FREEDOM and LIBERTY for all, and are generally considered a rebel faction. Story-wise, they are trying to fight against the evil repressive government and are limited to whatever they can scrounge up. Gameplay-wise, they field guns and tanks that have slower rate of fire but more powerful per-shot damage. Their vehicles also tend to be tougher.

Terran Republic - Space-Fascists! Story-wise, they are the only organized government left. They field modern equipment and tanks, and are red and black. Their hallmark is the use of guns with a higher rate of fire, but lower per shot damage.

Vanu Sovereignty - Space-hippies! They are the most technologically advanced faction, relying on higher technology and maneuverability to win. Their hallmark is a hovertank that can strafe and plasma based weaponry that offers a lot of flexibility.

Neat, so what about tanks and airplanes?

PS2 is a combined arms game, and that means that there are a lot more ways to kill people than just shooting them in the face with space guns.

There are tanks:

Also airplanes:

The airplanes are all VTOLs. The three factions all have a faction specific air vehicle and land vehicle, while sharing other designs (transports, mobile respawn areas, bombers). This would be a main battle tank, and a light fighter/strike craft.

Unlike Planetside 1, you can use any of these vehicles at any time. However, if you get blowed up, there is a timer that keeps you from immediately spawning another vehicle of that exact same type. So, if you go out flying a Liberator (bomber), and 9/11 it into a column of Vanu hovertanks... you can't spawn another Liberator for awhile, but you could spawn a Mosquito/Reaver/Scythe (light aircraft).

One thing to note is that while all of the stock weaponry on these vehicles are adequate, unlocks can make the vehicles more focused. For example, you can unlock an anti-aircraft turret for the light tank and air to air missiles for the light fighter.

Where do I sign up?
Here!

The game is currently (as of 11/09/2012) in beta, but will be releasing fully on 11/20/2012. Look for me in game, once it launches I should be in as Squadron, shooting space hippies in the face as a New Conglomerate dude.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Suits'll have your extra paycheck.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I've already gotten 7000 Sony Spacebux. Zebra pattern Galaxy will be ramming hovertanks forever.
  • Man everyone and their mom is being New Conglomerate. Terrain Republic gets no respect.
  • Man everyone and their mom is being New Conglomerate. Terrain Republic gets no respect.
    Yeah, I'm NC, but I'm starting to regret it - despite NC being by far the most populous army in the game, TC and Vanu are pretty much always just stomping all the fuck over them. It's rare - read, I've never seen it, despite regularly logging in, but I hear it happens sometimes - to not see the map overtaken with Red and Purple hexes, with blue being a wee handful of hexes.

• That's mostly a balance issue though. I'm thinking it will even out eventually. Even so, I am NC 4 Lyfe.

The Gauss SAW with 4x scope and compensator is just murder. I am reliably out-sniping infiltrator pubbies with it.
  • That's mostly a balance issue though.
    From what I've observed during games, it seems to be more of a most-of-the-nc-are-fucking-morons issue.

• That's mostly a balance issue though.
    From what I've observed during games, it seems to be more of a most-of-the-nc-are-fucking-morons issue.

Possibly. TR eat us up because the Cycler and Carv were buffed and our guns were given heavier recoil though. That doesn't help at all.

• Possibly. TR eat us up because the Cycler and Carv were buffed and our guns were given heavier recoil though. That doesn't help at all.
    True that. I thought I noticed my guns had a bit more kick.

Also, flying controls are ass, but I don't know what some people are doing, they're making their damned ships dance like dragonflies. It's a bit nuts.
  • True that. I thought I noticed my guns had a bit more kick.

Also, flying controls are ass, but I don't know what some people are doing, they're making their damned ships dance like dragonflies. It's a bit nuts.
    Try attempting to bomb when someone is doing that in a Liberace. It was insane.
  • edited November 2012
    Flight controls are hard, just like BF3 controls are hard. You have to be good to fly impressively. I am no longer one of those flyers, as I was in PS1. That being said, Sturmgrenadier has a couple of pilots that can take a Galaxy dropship and do a loop with it.

NC guns are currently a bit out of balance due to an overcompensation in COF, particularly on the LMG's.

The faction intelligence is entirely dependent on the time you play. During peak hours and later in the evening on the east coast servers, I've seen the NC lock down Amerish entirely, hold most of Esamir, and a respectable third of Indar. But then I've logged on mid-day and people are incapable of being competent. I figure once people get their game legs, they'll be better at organizing themselves.

Also, here's a beta key if anyone wants in. :D

77A4-RXH7-TFM7-Z2GG-RA2A

I play on the east coast server as Relentless1 (may change once release happens), also with the NC and a part of Sturmgrenadier (SGHQ shows above our names in game).
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I am on the east coast server as CdElairmont (inside joke about a friend) who is rocking Terrain Republic.
  • Thanks, Mr. MacRoss! I'm installing now.
  • darn it I wanted a beta key ;-p
  • Luckily for you I have an extra one as well.
    R3CM-6KX7-AR3F-2JPR-FHHA
  • Ah I just got one from someone else thanks!
  • Can I steal it?
  • Help yourself.
  • Yay. I will commence murding shortly.
  • Definitely going with New Conglomerate. Their theme is the best by far.
  • The biggest bottle-necks for me right now are that (1) the persistance doesn't seem that interesting as presented, and the more fixable (2) the overhead of figuring out what I want to unlock is overwhelming at the moment. Even reading up on the equipment, I really can't tell you which things I want or will prefer without some try-it-before-you-buy-it or something.
  • Definitely going with New Conglomerate. Their theme is the best by far.
    Wasn't NC the one who sounded like someone came from 80's and brought their electric guitar with them?

• edited November 2012
    Music had been updated since the beginning.

Oh also, BETA KEYS:
    MFR7Z2RHMEJ6Z6G4KEFA
    EZTP6TADM3T99PRZ2CGA
    24J7H9NRRMFR3ENZXZTR
    D92RCZPXMGR7JNZRH4K2
    HKG9XA6FCJH7EJEF2JTR

Don't thank me, just sends gifts.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I had no idea there were so many certs for gear and that they provided passive bonuses, not "options." I want to like this game, and I enjoyed a neat little platoon invasion deal tonight, but I'm not such a fan of these things.
  • edited November 2012
    Four Beta Keys up for the grabbing, just make sure you say if you're taking one.

JXADX3NJ6MKKDTNRZKP4 Taken

FNAHMXHGEKJ4ERJCMPDJ

P29ZHKM99AKKRJHG2GM9

7X7T3JEKEMCMRDE7ZJGK
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm gonna take the first one.
  • I had no idea there were so many certs for gear and that they provided passive bonuses, not "options." I want to like this game, and I enjoyed a neat little platoon invasion deal tonight, but I'm not such a fan of these things.
    Not all of the bonuses are passive. Most are utility based for weapons, like better Scopes, rail utilities like underbarell grenade launchers and shotguns, different ammos etc. There are also
    tons of different guns that certs unlock for each class, and they just announced you will be able to test weapons before spending cert points on them.
  • I realize that there are other mods, I was just referring to the armor at the moment. Side-grades and stuff I can deal with. Straight advantages I'm a little nonplussed about.
  • Apparently AA got nerfed again by a patch, as well as A2G missiles. I certed into the Skyguard right before it got nerfed the first time, now it seems like all the Skyguard is gonna be good for is giving people free points for blowing it up.
  • I have a feeling that they swung the pendulum too far back with this last patch. NC LMG's are horribly inaccurate, AA doesn't really do enough damage, and the front guns on the planes are all sorts of terrible.

They went through this back and forth a lot in PS1, so I'm not surprised that they're having the same tweaking going on now.
  • I'm still in love with the idea of this game... I just don't think it's anywhere near ready for prime time. Constant patches and lots of glitches I'm still encountering.