This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planetside 2

Comments

• Basically its TR/VS = easy mode.
    NC = real men.
  • edited December 2012
    My experience on Waterson:

TR: Exactly what it says on the can. Giant rabble of mostly incompetent people that relies on outnumbering the enemy. Most assaults consist of four incompetent ground troops failing to take a base while the sky is blacked out with air support annihilating every sign of movement on the ground. They will be hilariously useless as they don't seem to know where base entrances are and will try to climb giant mountains to assault enemies in single file lines. That is until the motherswarm descends on any particular single base and devours it like a bunch of army ants, then swarming to the next place and leaving it to be retaken a moment later.

VS: Wave after wave of magriders with saron cannons and engineers endlessly repairing things but completely avoid all actual engagements with the enemy in favor of taking mostly undefended bases on the two less populated continents. Stays the fuck off Amerish. Entire platoons of magriders cover the ground.

NC: Never leave Amerish with more than a squad. You occasionally see twelve or less of them on Esamir or Indar taking a base for a few minutes, but the overwhelming majority of them live on Amerish and largely hover around their main base. You often only see one NC drop pod into a VS/TR fight on other continents, die, and never be heard from again.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited December 2012
    There are a few things that shit me - for example, when on Emerish, despite being the advanced sci-fi future, nobody thought to bring some Arctic camo along with their lunchbox full of nanobots, despite the fact that their mostly dark with blue/red/purple highlights armor stands out like dog's bollocks on a fucking snow continent.

However - you can BUY snow camo. Which helps more than you'd think, for a cosmetic item. Ditto some of the lighter jungle camos on Amerish, and desert camo on Indar.

As for which continents each takes - Oddly, it's similar on Briggs.

I've been forcing myself to play on Erasmir lately, rather than my usual Indar, just to get familiar with a different continent. I'm yet to play on Amerish at all.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I like Amerish-ca. Honestly my favorite is Indar, but I've played on all three. You can definitely tell that the base designs evolved as SOE got better at it. There's less open spaces on Amerish, which helps to not be killed by airplanes or tankers.
  • edited December 2012
    I like Amerish-ca. Honestly my favorite is Indar, but I've played on all three. You can definitely tell that the base designs evolved as SOE got better at it. There's less open spaces on Amerish, which helps to not be killed by airplanes or tankers.
    I must admit, there is a nice little spot on the Bio-dome in Erasmir, with a pretty easy stealth run down the side of the map, plenty of cover, and then you can just walk up a snow-ramp practically on top of the walls, allowing you to sabotage all their defenses before your team arrives, if you're quick, quiet and clever. Nothing interrupts some fool aircraft's bombing run on your team's advance quicker than their own defensive turrets opening up on them while they're still flying low and slow after takeoff. I always tend to take a run by there, if I can, just as a warmup. Though, there are not many things more annoying than when you've carefully avoided and crept around a base full of people, sabotaged and hacked everything you can, and you're just about to slip into a different section to finally cripple the packed base - And suddenly, just nearby, you hear friendly gunfire and see a blue dot, because some twatbiscut has just sprinted in the front gate, and can't resist the easy kill on someone who isn't paying attention, but doesn't have enough brains to use a knife, rather than a gun. Because drawing the attention of EVERYBODY for about a kilometer around just for an easy kill is a fucking fantastic idea.

Also, random point of pride - my first kill in the game was when I smashed a drop pod through a liberator aircraft.

Downside - it took about two hours of play before I got that first kill.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I am so hungry for this game at the moment. I need to try to find people to play with for the next couple of weeks. Im grabbing a friends computer so I can play some real games. Any tips starting out?
  • Double XP weekend starting Friday.
    I'm out of town.
    Goddamnitsomuch.
  • They are buffing AA today, but they're also making the lock-on launchers only able to fire with a lock...
  • There are a few things that shit me - for example, when on Emerish, despite being the advanced sci-fi future, nobody thought to bring some Arctic camo along with their lunchbox full of nanobots, despite the fact that their mostly dark with blue/red/purple highlights armor stands out like dog's bollocks on a fucking snow continent.

However - you can BUY snow camo. Which helps more than you'd think, for a cosmetic item. Ditto some of the lighter jungle camos on Amerish, and desert camo on Indar.
    Call me when you get fed up from lightnings with non-faction camo in the distance, that can't be spotted, nor get a fucking friendly triangle hovering over them, and then dying to their 6 shells shoved up your ass. Cosmetic my ass.
  • Have you seen the Vanu 'giraffe' camo video yet?
  • Have you seen the Vanu 'giraffe' camo video yet?
    Video? Can't say I have. No doubt I will hate it, because fuck Vanu and their FOREVER-FACING-FRONT-ARMOUR tank shit. Why even bother putting armour on the rear or sides when the enemy NEVER SEES IT.
  • Cert for cert, you win the fight as the other two MBTs in a straight up slug-fest with a magrider. The thing that makes Mags OP right now from my perspective are the Magbooster letting them get into locations where they don't really belong and the Saron.
  • Their biggest advantage is the ability to strafe, never exposing their rear to the opposing tank. In anything other than a 1:1 battle (which is always bad for anyone) they are slightly more fragile since the Vanguards have the capacity for more damage. Additionally, a couple of lightnings with anti armor rounds can ruin a mag rider's day.
  • Generally in a 1:1 battle on open terrain neither party has to reveal their sides or back to the other tank.
  • Call me when you get fed up from lightnings with non-faction camo in the distance, that can't be spotted, nor get a fucking friendly triangle hovering over them, and then dying to their 6 shells shoved up your ass. Cosmetic my ass.
    Fuuuuuuuuuck. I like this game, but so much of it is just so fucking dumb and compromised by this sort of idiotic shite.

For example - A light fighter from each faction has a unique silhouette - image

But there are only two vehicles per faction that have a unique silhouette - One aircraft, and one tank. Everything else, all the same. If you're going to give people the ability to customize their vehicle camo, you need unique elements to show allegiance at a glance, especially in a game with friendly fire. Take a guess at a distance? Congratulations, you're now shooting up a friendly aircraft and fucking your own team, which incurs punishment.

At the very least, give a friendly indicator over friendlies at a distance, even beyond spot distance. You can't tell me that they've figured out nanotech, but not fucking IFF transponders.

• Not gonna lie, the art design in this game pretty bad.
  • Yeah it's kind of aggressively generic.
  • Generally in a 1:1 battle on open terrain neither party has to reveal their sides or back to the other tank.
    You do realize the magrider will just fucking circlestrafe your tank on open terrain, right? Magriders NEVER show their vulnerable flanks while being able to just move to your vulnerable flank with ease. Also, you're not going to find Magriders in slugfests with other MBTs.
  • Exactly. The best counter to mags is a bunch of infantry.
  • edited December 2012
    Exactly. The best counter to mags is an ESF or Liberator.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited December 2012
    I like being Vanu. Nothin' like cresting a hill with a bunch of infiltrators to cover a Magrider charge.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I like being Vanu. Nothin' like cresting a hill with a bunch of infiltrators to cover a Magrider charge.
    The only thing I don't like about playing the Vanu is that your weapons lose a lot of power over distance. If you get two competent infiltrators far apart, the Terran or NC infiltrator will always win, because at range, the Vanu infiltrator might as well just be blinking a flashlight at them.

• edited December 2012
    The only thing I don't like about playing the Vanu is that your weapons lose a lot of power over distance. If you get two competent infiltrators far apart, the Terran or NC infiltrator will always win, because at range, the Vanu infiltrator might as well just be blinking a flashlight at them.
    A painful flashlight that at least hits easily. Terran's default sniper requires 2 shots to kill iirc. Remember boys and girls, Vanu Scum is point-and-click babby modo.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • More guns have been added, and they have done some gun tweaking as well. Factions are still not quite as balanced as I'd like, but there is progress.
  • Now you can pay $6.50 so you can honk a horn on your Sunderer! Thanks SOE!
  • Now you can pay $6.50 so you can honk a horn on your Sunderer! Thanks SOE!
    Oh shit take my money beep beep.
  • I want the horn to sound like the one from the 'Dukes of Hazard'.
  • I want the horn to sound like the one from the 'Dukes of Hazard'.
    If you could actually buy that, I probably would.
  • I'd use it exclusively with a gate crasher type Sunderer. That, or one that is a recording if me yelling "JEEEEEEEEEP!"
  • I'd use it exclusively with a gate crasher type Sunderer. That, or one that is a recording if me yelling "JEEEEEEEEEP!"
    Even just the memory of that deathcam, with you yelling "JEEEEEEP!" and then just collecting the bloke that killed me at about 50 miles an hour, set me to laughing so hard I woke up my housemate.