This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planetside 2

Comments

• Latest patches fix some of the CoF issues us NC players have been complaining about, and they made some changes to the way friends/outfits and communications work.

Also, Planetside 2 is going to be on Steam. Well played, SOE. Well played.
  • This game gives me my two favorite things: A knife and a jetpack. I drop-pod'd into an enemy held base where I was vastly outnumbered, escaped and killed the guys that saw me drop, then did a number on the rather caught with-their-pants-down soldiers at the enemy base up till I ran out of ammo. I then proceeded to score half a dozen more kills with my knife while on the top floor of their base jet packing into weird positions and then dropping down on someone for some wetwork. Felt glorious.
  • Light Assault is very situational...but in those situations, they're magnificent!
  • Honestly, when the game goes live, I'm prioritizing light. I'm too much of a tribes guy.
  • Light armor is wonderful. It's like skeet shooting.
  • A few people on my team were cheering for me after I did some rather crazy heroic flanking. That had me giggling.
  • A few people on my team were cheering for me after I did some rather crazy heroic flanking. That had me giggling.
    I do that a lot. Go infiltrator, hack all their terminals except the two that are being used, hack all their defensive turrets, jump in one, and then send a message to friendly forces in the area to charge because the base is crippled - and then open up on them from behind with a defensive cannon, throwing them into disarray.

• edited November 2012
    Alright, so now I've officially become "pay to win". Winning is not my motive, but I also want to support the game, and the Alpha Squad thing fit the relative niche for me.

Someone hurry up and shame me. I can't do it myself.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Alright, so now I've officially become "pay to win". Winning is not my motive, but I also want to support the game, and the Alpha Squad thing fit the relative niche for me.

Someone hurry up and shame me. I can't do it myself.
    Don't look at me, I was gonna pick it up when I had the spare cash, too.
  • I have long been in the Alpha Squad.
  • I Alpha Squadded it the other day. Someone already took my name. Q_Q
  • It's out and more importantly IT'S ON STEAM No reason not to download it.
  • I've been Alpha Squadded for awhile now. Definitely downloading it today once I get home. Gonna ram a Galaxy into a pubbie repeatedly and find all bugs
  • Downloading with no pre-load kinda sucks.
  • This game is awesome.
  • You guys are adorable. Try this:

Also, massed drop pod assaults are awesome. And we can all agree that the disco freaks are stupid.
  • edited November 2012
    We've fought the goons several times on Mattherson. A couple days ago we pretty much held our own against three times our numbers. I destroyed a full Gal before they could drop on our position. image

A platoon of ShackTac is worth a company of any other unit.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Yeah, we're not great at video games. We do things like get drunk on Mumble and become really badly organized. Always.

To be honest, I've probably killed more goons driving my galaxy than you will. That's not really difficult.

Also:
  • edited November 2012
    Our outfit is called Terran Tactical [TT] if you see us in game.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'll remember to redeploy if I see you. Or start calling you "sir" or something.
  • What unlocks have you guys found useful?

So far, the AMS utility for the sundy is a great exp generator, both of the rocket launcher options, and boosting the armor repair gun and medic gun have proven good choices for me.
  • Nope, because I'm yet to unlock anything at all. I did work out, though, to unlock one weapon, you need roughly 1250 kills, if you spend your certs on NOTHING else.
  • I hurled a bunch of money at SOE during the beta and triple cash day. Unfortunately that's really the only way to buy new weapons. Honestly, though, the only weapons I felt the need to unlock were the lock-on missile launchers for HA and the GD-7F carbine for NC.

Otherwise I just use the starter guns, and they're working out just fine.

Aside from that, I've unlocked all the 1 cert dealies for all the vehicles, classes, etc. I need to grab the AMS cert because it is a fountain of XP, though.
  • I have a lot of the light assault guns and the anti-tank sniper rifle for the magrider secondary. Certs wise I've mostly spent stuff on light assault, though I unlocked a bunch of things I can't really notice much difference from. I think tonight I might unlock either the mag combat manueverability upgrade or the shotgun slugs.
  • Mag maneuverability is awesome, slugs are not from what I've heard. I think that the best upgrades so far are:

Soft point ammo
    Compensators
    Front/Side armor for tanks
    C4
    AP and AT mines
  • edited November 2012
    Rockets. Everyone should have air to ground rockets.

Slugs supposedly turn the vanu shotgun into a poor mans sniper rifle. That's what tempts me.

I havn't noticed a ton of advantage from my soft point ammo. I have a theory it makes the damage drop-off a little worse, because I seem to lose more fights at mid range with it but win more quickly at closer ranges - but that's just going off intuition from a few dozen engagements.

I'm also fairly certain I should have went laser sight over forward grip/compensator for the Assault Rifle. I don't really notice any advantage with them. Suppressor would be nice potentially as well, as I'm often sneaking around.

Also everyone needs at least one valid anti-air thing to go to. Skyguard turret or burster max seem to be the preferred options.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I find that I am specializing in infantry doo-dads and shying away from tanks and planes. I can't seem to get the hand of flying effectively as I could in PS1, and when I pull tanks I end up outside bases instead in the pitched battles.

I will likely kit out my AMS/Sundy because in Sturmgrenadier we use the mobile spawn points a while bunch, and we're encouraging every member to have the AMS cert at the very least.

I haven't noticed any tremendous difference in the guns that were unlocked with Alpha squad, save for two:

The LA gun has less ammo and a wicked punch close in as opposed to the standard rifle, but the range and larger ammo capacity seem to be better for me since I tend to be high up and far away using my LA rather than charging down on enemies' heads.

The EM-11 for the heavy seems to be significantly better at base than the standard SAW because of the greater accuracy. The reload is painless enough so I don't worry about the ammo capacity too much, and the double-shot fire mode is hilariously accurate at longer ranges.
  • ShackTac was featured on Kotaku again.
  • So, in the spirit of Christmahanukwanzika, I am making the following offer:

Planetside 2 is hard to learn. From flying, to tanking, to gunning, to even picking what guns and what class you want to play... there's a lot to learn. So if anyone is curious about this Free to Play game and wants to give it a shot, I'll teach you. Via voicechat or Skype or something. All you really have to do is pick a server, side, and time and I'll make it happen. Obviously if I'm at work I can't do that, but otherwise I'll teach you whatever I know.

Which is mostly a lot of nerdtastic stuff about the game and how to die quite quickly.
  • I'll play with people as well, but since people are not playing through steam I don't know when people are playing :-p