This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Hype Thread

Comments

• That's impressive. Has any other competitive versus game ever done that before?
  • Worms, I think.
  • Not too surprised. On PS3 they teamed up with Steam to add cross platform play on Portal 2.
  • edited December 2014
    There was Shadowrun, which allowed PC and Xbox 360 players to compete.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Wyatt said:
    If only they would do this for an FPS, where there's something to prove.
  • Is there really, though? Everyone in our glorious master race already knows the score. It's like the people that say Alabama could beat the Raiders or something.
  • edited December 2014
    Apreche said:

Wyatt said:
    If only they would do this for an FPS, where there's something to prove.
    They did. It was called Shadowrun. You probably didn't play it because it was janky and mediocre by all accounts.

Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Wyatt said:
    This is excellent news, now I'm hype as long as my connection is good, this move should pull the majority of the fighting game community as they were already starting to move towards using PC/Steam for many events.
  • This looks like a run of the mill Contra clone, but DAT STYLE

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/884592321/glorious-leader
  • Some people may approve of the way that looks..
  • edited December 2014
    Has anyone posted this?

Enjoy the disappointment.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • but that stealth though...
  • edited December 2014
    Dazzle369 said:

but that stealth though...

Eh, it's basically just the Crysis 2 multiplayer mode.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It looks like it's more horde mode than PvP. What are the odds of it being bogged down by micro payments?
  • Hard to convey sarcasm through text. The stealth looks like BS.

This looks more like a Call of Duty reskin.
  • Dazzle369 said:

but that stealth though...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution had that covered better.
  • The best stealth game I remember playing is the first Splinter Cell. The first time you was able to pull off a split jump, then take someone out. That was a magical moment.

Ubisoft... what did you do to that franchise.... :confounded: (Prince of Persia too!)
  • If you want to play a stealth game play Styx: Master of Shadows on goblin difficulty.
    Dazzle369 said:

The best stealth game I remember playing is the first Splinter Cell. The first time you was able to pull off a split jump, then take someone out. That was a magical moment.

Ubisoft... what did you do to that franchise.... :confounded: (Prince of Persia too!)

Yeah that first Splintercell was the best of the entire series. I even loved the credits, they decided on playing Crystal Method's Name of the Game. It was especially great because if you fucked up you were usually killed.

If you didn't hide a body properly, you would be hunted down and found.

I feel as if Ubisoft and many other game publisher are getting their development studio to aim for the broadest audiences thus churning out easier and less original games.

Most new multiplayer games have a life cycle of a few months before the player base moves away. I won't compare it to Counterstrike as that is unfair but how about Left 4 Dead? The player base for that game was crazy, people on my Steam list still play that game, no one is playing Call of Duty or Titanfall.
  • L4D allows players to make their own maps.
  • I wish L4D just had a firefight/horde mode with base building.

Defend the base for as long as possible. Repair/ upgrade the base by risking your life, venturing away from the base to find materials.

Rather than just doing laps around the map.

L4D is a fun game, but you get to a certain point that there just isn't much to do. There's potential for much more. Add in Natural Selection style commanding.
  • Have you tried the survival mode in L4D2? It's almost what you are asking for, but no base building/repair. The base is just there.

I spent a long time playing scavenge mode back in the day. I really enjoyed that 4vs4 challenge. My favorite was the mall level, tossing gas cans over the railing to waiting teammates, etc.
  • Yes, the mall level on survival is exactly what I'm referring to. It gets to the point where you have to jus run around the map, doing laps, to survive longer. So the gameplay doesn't get any more fun from there. Specially as team mates will go down one by one along the way, without little to no opportunity to poke a hole through your route and revive/ rescue someone. So land man standing is just, person who had all the meat shields.

If you had to defend a base I think there would be a more interesting dynamic between attacking and defending.

I wonder..maybe L4D3..
  • HMTKSteve said:

L4D allows players to make their own maps.

Players were rewarded for being better at the game. If you could organise your group to attack 4 at a time and play strategically better than the opposite side you were rewarded.

Community development or input is required and always beats paid DLC. The developers noted that the mods were appreciated and kept the game going so did their own official mods (Mutations), community maps would become official ones. All the L4D maps were imported into L4D2. This was cake on top of a solid game (this is the same environment as other games such as Quake and Counterstrike).

It still succeeded for casual play because if you were a good player you could carry your team pretty hard and essentially role play your character (when playing survivors). Saving noobs from the opposing team or setting up a 4 man knock down at the first choke point.

Lazy Game Design:
    Unlock weapons and levels for playing more of the game regardless of how bad a player is. Treat your player base like vegetables and watch them dump your game in a few weeks.
    Dazzle369 said:

L4D is a fun game, but you get to a certain point that there just isn't much to do. There's potential for much more. Add in Natural Selection style commanding.

This only applies if you are playing versus the AI. You could make the same statement about any game. Natural Selection commanding only works because there is building involved and bases to protect like an RTS.

Natural Selection 2 died quickly on the servers I played on because there were very few people good at commanding, if you tried commanding as a new player you were told to do cookie cutter strategies or get flamed / people would just leave. Player base whittled away and the game died.
  • I hate leveling, it's so pointless. But levelling does have it's use, when in context.

For instance in L4D a sword is better than a bat, but the catch is you have to find it. Ok, that's not difficult to do in the game, but the idea of upgradability could be contextual, and not simply a matter of grinding a bigger number.
  • I'm not sure that leveling ever has a reason to exist in a competitive multiplayer FPS.
  • sK0pe said:

I'm not sure that leveling ever has a reason to exist in a competitive multiplayer FPS.

• sK0pe said:

I'm not sure that leveling ever has a reason to exist in a competitive multiplayer FPS.

yeh, never. In halo it was all about the rush for the power weapons and vehicles. Halo 4 ruined that abit with loadouts and unlocks. But not totally. Halo 5, looks like they're going back to no loadouts.

Call of duty was the worst for this with each iteration of the game. I only played up to MW2 after that it got too ridiculous. MW2 was bad enough actually. I mostly played with the initial weapons anyway, and still smacked ass.

I wouldn't mind cosmetic paid DLC, weapon skins, because I'd never buy that stuff and it wouldn't effect the balance of the game. Though I'd prefer DLC to be something like, more campaign. Maps. Big content that requires a significant amount of time for artists and programmers to make.

The only levelling that you should have in the game, is your skill rank (Halo 3).
  • Then you have Destiny that requires randomly unlocking weapons AND leveling up said weapons only to have those weapons become underpowered three months later when the next DLC drops. I swear, that game was designed with microtransactions in mind.
  • Omnutia said:

sK0pe said:

The leveling I was eluding to was in game to unlock items that make you more powerful than other players.

MMR's produce a better experience so you don't get people new to the game playing with people who play professionally. Thus most competitive games which are popular and have developed an Esports scene use it e.g. Street Fighter 4, League of Legends, Dota 2, CS: GO.