This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Hype Thread

Comments

• edited January 2015
    muppet said:

I'm in the "earbuds on the go, giant comfy clamshells at home" camp.

Yeah, this.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • muppet said:

I'm in the "earbuds on the go, giant comfy clamshells at home" camp.

Yeah, this.
    I find earbuds uncomfortable myself, but I'm all for small on-the-ear phones on the go, big clamshells at home or my desk.
  • Ah, yeah; ear buds suck. IEMs are my jam.
  • Somebody did some modding to Portal 2 and made a map pack / expansion, I will pick it up when it comes out, hopefully the puzzles and story are good.
    Portal Stories: Mel
  • Final Club Nintendo rewards are up btw. Go spend them coins.
  • Video games I got excited about at PAX South:
    - Just Shapes and Beats
    - Paperbound
    - Broken Bots

Out of these, Paperbound is the first to come out, releasing on PS4 and PC next month. It's another Samurai Gunn/Nidhogg type game. 4-player 2D arena battle, one-hit hills, first to 10 kills wins, etc. The twists here are that you get a one-time use grenade, one-time use throwing scissors (directed by flicking the right analog stick) that can be retrieved where they fall if they don't score a kill.
  • Matt said:

Final Club Nintendo rewards are up btw. Go spend them coins.

Still says closed for me.

• HMTKSteve said:

Matt said:

Final Club Nintendo rewards are up btw. Go spend them coins.

Still says closed for me.

The site is just getting hammered. I checked as part of my morning internet routine when I woke up a little after 5AM. Everyone has a shitload of coins and Nintendo was very explicit about the limited nature of any new physical rewards.

The big twist is this: all the new physical rewards suck! A mediocre Mario shirt (it's not outright bad, I'll give it that), a Majora's Mask messenger bag or jigsaw puzzle, etc. I grabbed a set of Animal Crossing playing cards for 600 coins.

They went all-in on downloadable games, though. There are well over a hundred options, including a handful of non-Virtual Console stuff for each system. 600-700 coins gets you a choice of several full retail releases. I went with Harmoknight for 300 coins. I still have almost 700 coins left, so tempting options remaining are: Dr. Luigi, Tokyo Crash Mobs, and either the DSi or 3DS entry in the Mario vs Donkey Kong series.

I've never played Mario vs. DK, even though they are up to 5 games now. Anyone have opinions there?
  • Do you remember how many coins for the bag?
  • I think it was 800 or so? I think that was the most expensive item. The Nintendo subreddits have all the info cached.
  • I've been playing Cordial Minuet for low stakes.
  • Feast your eyes.

• I managed to get in long enough to order the messenger bag. Still have more coins to spend.
  • edited February 2015
    They should just put up every virtual console game they've had previously. I should have gotten Paper Mario when it was active but I wasn't sure about the Wii stuff.

EDIT: Oh wait apparently they do have Paper Mario up again. The site is down right now though.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Apreche said:

I've been playing Cordial Minuet for low stakes.

Is it any good? From what I read it looked like a citadels situation.
  • edited February 2015
    Dazzle369 said:

Feast your eyes.

[Star Citizen: Arena Commander Video]

I would be totally playing this game if the updates weren't 12gb+. I don't have good Internet.
    I got to play it on 4k at PAX which was fun and incredibly pretty.

Maybe I'll set it to download tonight.

What will be super interesting is the release of the Battle Arena Ender's Game Arena.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I just want to steal someones hard earned ore, and spend all my loot on space booty.

Stream it directly to my retina wit dat dere Oculus.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I just want to steal someones hard earned ore, and spend all my loot on space booty.

Stream it directly to my retina wit dat dere Oculus.

I need a joystick for this game.

• 2 joysticks, rudder pedals and an eject button.
  • Dazzle369 said:

2 joysticks, rudder pedals and an eject button.

LOL maybe if I didn't play any other type of game.
    The download servers for the alpha build of this game are pretty slow in Australia or maybe I didn't wait to get enough seeders.

• Also if you want a head tracker but don't want to spend $150 on a TrackIR: http://www.edtracker.org.uk/

I recently ordered the bundle from Hobby Components and it was like ~$20 w/ S+H (£9 or so base price). The downside is it needs to be attached via usb from your head but I've seen some videos of people snaking it along a headset and it seems fine enough.

Maybe I should buy the game first though...
  • Oculus Rift, consumer model should be available by the end of the year. SHOULD
  • I'm hyped.

• I saw the trailer on Giant Bomb and mentioned how I was interested but maybe not as much because it seems like everyone is a super hero now. It got met with a lot of people saying "how is P4 not ridiculous in the same way?". But the part I liked about P4 was that a lot of the extraordinary parts were mostly limited to being inside the TV which made it more interesting and fit with the world a little more IMO. Not sure how much I like the idea of the characters outside of a surreal setting having all these extraordinary abilities. I guess I'll just wait and see how it all plays out before I decide if it's for me.
  • Persona 2 already showed that Persona powers outside of any special limitations can work. In that, for example, one of the main characters was a leader of a gang and had gotten that position because he was able to use his persona to kick everyone's ass.

Shit going down anywhere and not just being limited to some external world or dimension also can create lot more interesting situations. Creating threats that are larger than just "will this one person die (no, they will not)".

Also, I find the main characters are cat burglars and thieves aspect of the story intriguing.
  • Finally got around to downloading the most recent build of Star Citizen.

Flying around killing space ships is pretty fun, I thought it would be hard using a mouse and keyboard (which it is when you need to move power to different portions of your shields but I'll probably work out a bind for this stuff).

My ship has limited ammo on the main weapons currently and I tend to not be conservative with it so I run out after 20 minutes or so. I'm unlikely to constantly be dog fighting with this ship in the future though.

The attention to detail is part crazy and mostly awesome.