This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Hype Thread

Comments

• sK0pe said:

I'm not sure that leveling ever has a reason to exist in a competitive multiplayer FPS.

I'm sure it must be addicting to some people. "One more game and I get a new gun, so exciting" and "I got a new gun, so cool" type of thing.

• Apsup said:

sK0pe said:

I'm not sure that leveling ever has a reason to exist in a competitive multiplayer FPS.

I'm sure it must be addicting to some people. "One more game and I get a new gun, so exciting" and "I got a new gun, so cool" type of thing.
    Sure, it would work for casual gamers.
  • sK0pe said:

Apsup said:

sK0pe said:

That's not a casual/non-casual -thing, it's just that different people get addicted to different things. People making AAA shooters are not stupid, so there must be data that says that grind based unlock systems are effective.

• Having just watched that Ghost In the Shell FPS trailer, which seemed kind of meh to me, what I'd really like to see is a Ghost In the Shell turn-based X-Com style game where you command a team of Section 9 members, including Tachikomas, on missions. Sadly, even with how popular the new X-Com game was, I doubt that would ever happen.
  • Having just watched that Ghost In the Shell FPS trailer, which seemed kind of meh to me, what I'd really like to see is a Ghost In the Shell turn-based X-Com style game where you command a team of Section 9 members, including Tachikomas, on missions. Sadly, even with how popular the new X-Com game was, I doubt that would ever happen.

No. The world needs a GitS hacking game like Uplink.
  • Apreche said:

Having just watched that Ghost In the Shell FPS trailer, which seemed kind of meh to me, what I'd really like to see is a Ghost In the Shell turn-based X-Com style game where you command a team of Section 9 members, including Tachikomas, on missions. Sadly, even with how popular the new X-Com game was, I doubt that would ever happen.

No. The world needs a GitS hacking game like Uplink.
    I dunno, I recon the system that Shadowrun Returns uses would be a goer, though the hacking system would need some work.

• HMTKSteve said:

Then you have Destiny that requires randomly unlocking weapons AND leveling up said weapons only to have those weapons become underpowered three months later when the next DLC drops. I swear, that game was designed with microtransactions in mind.

Destiny is literally the worst.

• Apsup said:

sK0pe said:

Apsup said:

sK0pe said:

That's not a casual/non-casual -thing, it's just that different people get addicted to different things. People making AAA shooters are not stupid, so there must be data that says that grind based unlock systems are effective.

The AAA games that include leveling for multiplayer are practicing poor game design and appealing to the lowest common denominator. The developers can thus make a lot of money (the primary objective).
  • edited January 2015
    Hotline Miami 2 currently refused release in Australia, even though the developer offers a non violent option at the start of the game (see video for uncensored followed by censored).

The Australian board rules that the censored version has sexual violence WTF?
    You get much worse stuff in movies, TV shows, comics and books.

Even if they want to be assholes about they could just have recommended an R18+ version in which case it would still sell as much because Australian parents aren't as conservative as most. (e.g. my Mother watched South Park and recorded it for me to watch later on because it was aired late at night, many kids parents will decide whether they will take their kids to watch an R18+ film or not).

To quote Dave Riley "This really grinds my gears".

All that results from this is people pirating the game or encourage using VPNs to authenticate their internationally bought versions of the game. These sales are then counted for different regions making developers not even bother fighting the board rulings.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Do you want freedom of speech or quality health care? You can always move.
  • Apreche said:

Do you want freedom of speech or quality health care? You can always move.

I don't have the right skin colour for freedom of speech, I'm also not fond of being in a choke hold

Joking - my brother is in Philadelphia and has been visiting Washington, New York and Boston recently, he said his only hassle was with customs when entering the country.

Like always when one of these things I'll just use a VPN, I can still be angry at my country's government for being stupid.
  • Update on Hotline Miami 2, developers have told Australians to pirate a copy.

It's a pretty awesome middle finger to the classification board as there is no way you can stop this in the digital age. Sanctioning the piracy and making it known to all is what should anger the Government but it won't.
  • Don't care if this game is good or bad, the video alone got me to back it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe
  • Yeah, Strafe is pretty much reason to cancel Bloodcrusher II. We can't top that.
  • Apreche said:

Don't care if this game is good or bad, the video alone got me to back it.

That was quite a great video. But like I've said at some point, somewhere in some context, I don't think that random generation can replace good hand crafted level design.

• Apsup said:

Apreche said:

That was quite a great video. But like I've said at some point, somewhere in some context, I don't think that random generation can replace good hand crafted level design.

Someday they will.

Imagine a feedback loop of humans playing and the AI learning from their physiological and in-game reactions what's enjoyable or not. What delights them. What scares them.

You could have procedural content generation that slowly learns who you are, and makes levels that rock you to your very core.
  • Rym said:

Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Someday they will.

Imagine a feedback loop of humans playing and the AI learning from their physiological and in-game reactions what's enjoyable or not. What delights them. What scares them.

You could have procedural content generation that slowly learns who you are, and makes levels that rock you to your very core.
    Meanwhile good level design is good from level 1, moment 1, no need to give time for the AI to analyze you. Maybe, someday in the far future, we don't need humans creating our levels, but we are not in the future, I play my games in the present and thus I judge my games with what is possible now.

• Apsup said:

Rym said:

Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Someday they will.

Meanwhile good level design is good from level 1, moment 1, no need to give time for the AI to analyze you. Maybe, someday in the far future, we don't need humans creating our levels, but we are not in the future, I play my games in the present and thus I judge my games with what is possible now.

Obviously a system like that would be pre-seeded for the initial experience.

I also think Quake levels were a step back from Doom levels.

• I have a lot of similar ideas for procedural design to eventually put into my roguelike.
  • Rym said:

Someday they will.

So this leads to computer generated Cthulhu when someone puts the game in front of Scott because that is the only thing that might frighten him :p
  • For Scott? I think the thing that would most frighten him would be a child showing up on his doorstep with paternity papers claiming to be his. Said child then moves in and subtlety alters his home environment in small ways that lower his efficiency...
  • Watch your back Zuckerberg tee hee.
  • This is something I can't "meh" on until I try it. I'm highly skeptical it will work well, but if it does, then it's nothing to scoff at.

At the least, I'm excited to see so many companies diving into this space and going in different directions! That's a recipe for some actual innovation. We're only a few years away now from something that is a runaway hit. People are going to get over the "but we all look like idiots!" factor real damn quick.
  • I think people with big headphones still look like idiots, but I'm behind the curve in that area.
  • I think people with big headphones still look like idiots, but I'm behind the curve in that area.

Agreed, unless they are in a studio or listening in a home where they don't want to bother family, roommates, or neighbors. What's the point of a tiny portable music player if you use giant headphones? May as well use a giant discman or some shit since you don't care about portability.
  • I'm in the "earbuds on the go, giant comfy clamshells at home" camp. We all have a set at our desks.
  • Also giant comfy clamshells at work for when you don't want to hear people talking.
  • I don't really think people with big headphones ARE idiots, only that a part of my brain tells me they LOOK like idiots. Turns out they just have a different fashion sense and a different headphone utility.

As for this HoloLens, not feeling like an idiot will be a big barrier to entry for those who don't think they are idiots.