This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• Andrew said:

If you'd like Rym you could educated me or at least suggest a better outlet for my frustration?

Question: Do you also follow the "Make America Great Again" narrative like you follow the "Game Journalism" narrative?

I went to a trump rally for research purposes. I was a registered democrat and a Bernie supporter before that. At the rally I was shoved a pile of propaganda. I pretended like I didn't see it but my friend, who does like trump, ended up taking it for me and didn't realize I was trying to get the guy to leave. When he went to the bathroom I finally looked and it was about trying to have the pope arrested and about punishing sodomites.

I like the pope and I like having gay sex, so that's going to be a no go on king trump.

There are plenty of other reasons.
    Wall's not going to happen, even then it won't stop guest workers who came through the legal way or cure the Child Refugee crisis in South America.
    I'm convinced he supports the TPP and is lying about it.
    And many more that I can't think of.
  • I think when Rym said fake medicine, he meant the stuff encompassed by this phrase uttered by Tim Minchin.

"By definition, alternative medicine has either not been proved to work, or been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine."

What he didn't mean is "Things not approved by the FDA are fake medicine"
  • RymRym
    edited August 2016

I went to a trump rally for research purposes. I was a registered democrat and a Bernie supporter before that. At the rally I was shoved a pile of propaganda. I pretended like I didn't see it but my friend, who does like trump, ended up taking it for me and didn't realize I was trying to get the guy to leave. When he went to the bathroom I finally looked and it was about trying to have the pope arrested and about punishing sodomites.

I like the pope and I like having gay sex, so that's going to be a no go on king trump.

There are plenty of other reasons.
    Wall's not going to happen, even then it won't stop guest workers who came through the legal way or cure the Child Refugee crisis in South America.
    I'm convinced he supports the TPP and is lying about it.
    And many more that I can't think of.

What?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2016
    Rym said:

No thing should ever be able to be sold or offered with any unverified claim as to its efficacy for any particular illness or symptom.

Anything homeopathic should specifically be banned, for sale, offer, treatment, advertising: anything.

Naoza said:

What he didn't mean is "Things not approved by the FDA are fake medicine"

Verified by who? THC has been verified by several independent studies as an effective painkiller and is even recommended by medical doctors on several occasions. But it will be a long time before a federal body acknowledges that.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Rym said:

What?

Well there was this thing on Imgur about how f----- trump rallies were. So I wanted to see how bad it was. It was across the street from my place of work, so I didn't even go out of my way to see.
  • Rym said:

What?

Well there was this thing on Imgur about how f----- trump rallies were. So I wanted to see how bad it was. It was across the street from my place of work, so I didn't even go out of my way to see.

Rym said:

What?

I think Rym was confused by your stream of consciousness depiction of what you witnessed at a Trump rally

(and also how this suddenly changed from gamergate to Trump)
  • edited August 2016
    I'm gonna stop speaking for Rym and start speaking for myself, it's easier and I don't have to tip toe.
    MATATAT said:

Verified by who?

If the drug stands up to the best tools the scientific process has, namely double blind trials and meta analysis and verification studies/trials. Then idgaf what the FDA says it's medicine. If THC has undergone the process of scientific rigor then I'll agree it's medicine, I don't know because I've not examined the matter personally.

So verified by who? Scientific rigor, that's who.

Post edited by Naoza on
  • It was a really strange event. I'd recommend checking one out.
  • Why would you recommend that? You yourself admit that Trump's not a good candidate. You received racist paraphernalia at this event. Why would you recommend that any of us go and experience this?

For someone who's really butter about being told that his association with Gamergate is unequivocally bad, you seem to continue saying things that you must know just won't fly at all on this forum.
  • You also can't just have an echo chamber that repeats your own beliefs.

Have you missed the part where this forum's primary hobby is arguing with each other?

And that aside - Who says we can't?
  • It's funny how generally places where dislike of "hugboxes" and echo chambers is often voiced, are places where people with "wrong opinions" are heavily hit with bullying and "you are not welcome here" -attitude.

• Do remember I asked to join telling the mod who approves people that I was going going to try and argue for gamergate. People just don't wander into this forum by accident. Everyone needs to be approved. It's not like I hacked my way in. That mod either wanted me to post a different opinion or wanted me to join as a punching bag. Punching bags make people's skills stay sharp.

I wanted to go to get out of my echo chamber. I worked at a fairly liberal university in a mostly non-white city. So I wanted to see what all the excitement was about. It's so weird to me that that Milo and one of my co-workers are gay and still go support trump dispite being told they're not wanted by other supporters.
  • edited August 2016
    Just a thought, spend more time defending and backing up your claims and less time defending the fact that you are arguing. When you are met with criticism acknowledge failing in your argument and improve upon them or change your position if you are not able to defend it.

The forum doesn't have a lot of tolerance for people who come in and complain that they are not able to handle the rigors of discussion.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • What Cremlian said. All's you have done thus far is come and say, "Hey, not all Gamergaters are bad, man! Stop generalizing! It's not all about the alt-right stuff!" You haven't presented anyone with a reason to believe you or take that opinion at face value.

If Gamergate is about something else, show us that explicitly. But don't expect anyone here to not analyze and argue about whatever you present.
  • edited August 2016

It's so weird to me that that Milo and one of my co-workers are gay and still go support trump dispite being told they're not wanted by other supporters.

Well, I can explain Milo for you - he's an incredibly self-hating, flagrantly homophobic gay man, who is going out of his way to embody every gay panic stereotype of the republican party from the last twenty years, barring one - that they support the democrats. We're talking about a guy who literally said that he wishes homosexuality was a choice, so he could choose not to be gay, and who claimed that he would "cure" homosexuality if he could.

Honestly, considering everything I've heard about him over the years, plus the way he carries on very publically now, I'd be stunned if he didn't support Trump.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2016

I was going going to try and argue for gamergate.

Okay, buddy-friend-pal. Let's do this.

As you have done neither of these thus far, please (a) fully identify any and all aspects/tenants of the Gamergate movement with which you agree, and (b) Explain, with as much detail as is possible, why you support each of the identified aspect/tenant.

And, go!

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited August 2016
    I've spent the entire time on the defensive. You guys want to be Heroes?

You're all enjoying taking a mysogonizer down a peg, but wouldn't you rather ruin him? I'll self dox. Call my mom and get her to kick me out. Call my boss and tell him to fire me. There's a person I'm romantically interested in, she needs to know that I'm evil. What information do you want to know?

Nothing I say will matter, I'll die alone a fat gay virgin.
    Post edited by HalfmoonHex on
  • You're on the defensive because you have made an indefensible hill yours to die on.

The rest of your post is either a low-level trolling attempt, or else you should probably get some counseling.
  • Then ban me. Or maybe just do a two year temp ban.
  • Then ban me. Or maybe just do a two year temp ban.

Why would I ban you? You haven't broken any rules.
  • But you hate me.
  • But you hate me.

No. Just the toxic ideas you claim to defend yet refuse to so do, as well as the real harm those ideas cause to real people in the real world.

No one hates you. They hate what you say.
  • You haven't really done anything to warrant banning. AFAICT, you've been arguing that there was a time when Gamergate wasn't primarily a vessel for the alt-right to attack women in gaming, which is not an argument you're going to win on this forum. However, arguing a bad position alone isn't enough cause to get banned here (although it does harm to any credibility we'll give you in this thread and others).

If you don't like us piling on here, log off.
  • But I can't even post anywhere here without finger pointing and accusations.

I could bring up T Martin. You'd all say "So what gamergate doesn't care cause they're white men" or something.
  • Well, we'd more say "what? How is that relevant to Gamergate being/not being a shit-spewing vessel for the alt-right movement?"
  • Well it's a case where an Influencer/Entertainer wasn't being honest that they were financially linked to a product they were endorsing.
  • That's a productive way to argue.

You seem to be of the odd opinion that we need to inherently put two opinions on the same level; that we can't use prior experience in order to judge an opinion, and that we can't use the opinions a person holds to judge said person. Furthermore, you're refusing to engage in the actual argument. You lay down the case that there are, or at least were, people in the GamerGate movement that dislike the sexism and such while actually caring about "ethics in gaming journalism".

1) What are "ethics in gaming journalism"?
    2) What specific ethical tenets do you feel should be used to judge a work of "gaming journalism"?
    3) What specific remedies do you suggest should be applied to the gaming journalism industry in order to bring it into line with the items outlined in question 2?
    4) What specific repercussions do you feel should be applied to the gaming journalism industry, should they fail to bring themselves in line with the items outlined in question 2?
    5) What is the time frame for which they should bring themselves into line with the tenets in question before you take the actions outlined in question four?

Those questions cover the basics of any movement or organized protest (What are we fighting for, what do we want you to do, when do we want you to do it, and what will we do if you don't). If you can't answer those questions, or have never thought about any of them before, I suggest you take a good, hard look at what's actually going on around you.
  • I've spent the entire time on the defensive. You guys want to be Heroes?

God no, that show was terrible.

But you hate me.

Fuck no! I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't hate you. I think your ideas about gamergate are misguided, but fuck it man, who doesn't have a few dumb ideas.

Relax, mate. This isn't Reddit. We're not going to forever tar and feather you for disagreeing, there's no major repercussions for being wrong, except a bit of pride, if you attach your pride to that sort of thing. Just chill. If you want to argue it out, argue it out, just make an actual coherent argument. If you don't, don't, hang out in other threads, shoot the shit about other things. People might agree or disagree with you there, too, it happens around here.

• Hey Heroes was a good example of a pretty good First season that completely goes off the rails (see 70's Battlestar Galacatica for other examples :-p)
  • But you hate me.

I, too, don't hate you, HalfmoonHex!

I *do* think gg is at best ridiculous nonsense, and at worst a movement that encourages/enables violent, maleficent voices and behavior that had previously been hidden or latent.

But I also find it sad that at least one person has exited my close group of friends because of their early pro-gg stance and the backlash they received over it.

It's not all good on the anti-gg side either. For example, it's disappointing that anti-gg sentiment too often is found hand-in-hand with fat-shaming, virgin-shaming, thinly-veiled mocking of traits generally associated with being neuro-atypical, or general disdain for people who fall short of good personal hygiene or make certain unfortunate fashion decisions when it comes to headgear. To me those things aren't inextricably linked to gg ideas, and resorting to making fun of that stuff detracts from the (righteous and correct!) anti-gg position, no matter how much *more* evil gg is.