This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

edited July 2009 in Art!
As per Mankoon's request, a 3D thread! Finally!
Post your models, renders, animations, tutorials, scripts and other kickin' things that make girls like me happy.

I'll start. This is what I did this week, in collaboration with another artist. (I did the character design, main model, rigging and such, and he helped create the normal map)
This is work stuff, so please don't post it anywhere else until the teaser trailer is up. I can't show you much, but this particular render is kosher.

Comments

• Aww, you should have called it Art Attack! Part III: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness! You missed a golden opportunity to continue the trend, Emily.
  • A train set who's coal car and caboose I designed:
    Train, Coal Car, Caboose, and Track

A compass I reverse engineered (measured and modeled):
    Compass 3

Here is a animation of the compass: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmspooner/3728711826/

Both were done in Autodesk Inventor.
  • Gomidog -- amazing! That is some solid, solid modeling work.

This is about the only 3D I ever did worth looking at. Probably about 12 years ago, back when you had to do it by moving points around by hand.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    All of these are awesome as are all the other Art Attack Threads.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Because I'm lazy I'll just shove my new showreel on here
  • Huh, I didn't know you did environment design!

The part with the tunnels and the fireflies reminds me of part of Okami.
  • Huh, I didn't know you did environment design!
    Yea, I do all sorts! Looking for work at the moment, it's a bit rubbish to graduate into a recession.
  • OMG, wow. Your work stuffs are amazing. We totally have to go over to your game night next time so we can see more.
  • @Foofly -- really cool stuff, I'm impressed.

Man, I really need to get back into 3D and get decent at modeling. It would save me so much time drawing repetitive mechanical stuff and whatnot. Anyone have any suggestions on the best (free or reasonably affordable) modeler for quickly blocking out mechanical/geometric objects? Should I just stick with Sketchup?
  • Because I'm lazy I'll just shove my new showreel on here
    Oh shit, you're that Floofy? Bum in a Bin is a fun little game.
  • Anyone have any suggestions on the best (free or reasonably affordable) modeler for quickly blocking out mechanical/geometric objects? Should I just stick with Sketchup?
    Blender Blender Blender = best open source 3D program.
    Wings 3D and Milkshape supposed to be good for simple models to use in-game, but it's totally worth it to learn Blender.
  • edited July 2009
    I spent a little time working with Blender, but the modeling seemed really difficult. The interface gave me fits, too. I know it's a very full-featured animation program -- do you think Blender's still the best choice if I'm never going to do anything but model? I've used Wings 3D a bit to slap together a bunch of generic skyscrapers for city scenes. It's actually really good for that sort of thing, mostly for the "select similar" function, so you can do things like cut the whole thing up into a bunch of little rectangles, then select one of the rectangles that will be a window, do "select similar", then just inset and extrude all of them at once.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • ?

Yea, Blender is great.
    Because I'm lazy I'll just shove my new showreel on here
    Oh shit, you'rethatFloofy? Bum in a Bin is a fun little game.
    Haha, did you play it? It's a bit crazy
  • edited October 2009
    How did I miss this thread? Or maybe I forgot about it? Great work guys. I'm working on some 3d now and I'll try to post it here later tonight. I'll need some advise and feedback.
    For now, I wanted to post this video a friend sent me of texturing techniques.

http://slipgatecentral.livejournal.com/26118.html
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • I wait with baited breath for Mankoon 3d post!

Also, thanks for the link.
  • edited October 2009
    @Gomi: haha! I was all nervous to post. I hope it's to your liking >.image

2500 faces is my budget.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • I love it! That's a great design to begin with, and the model looks great.
  • That would make an awesome pvc statue for trendy cute sushi bars. All you guys fucking AMAZE me with your skills.
  • That would make an awesome pvc statue for trendy cute sushi bars. All you guys fucking AMAZE me with your skills.
    Your skills ain't too shabby themselves!
  • Some advise on how to get that rice look good textured would be nice.
    I'd do a bump or normal map to make the rice grains stand out, in addition to the color/diffuse. That could also help on the fins and the lime, as well. I have a good tutorial about baking normal maps in maya, but you can also paint a bump map by hand in greyscale, which (I think) is easier.
    The model looks fantastic! Nice edge loops, and the face looks just like the picture. (I'm a little concerned about the knees, though. I usually model a slightly different way to make for a better bend when rigged.) The poly limit is about what I work with, 2K quads, or there about. She'd be good in a game!
    Let me give you the link to the great ebook series I have been using to learn rigging in Maya: The Art of Rigging.
  • @Ro: Yea girl! You're pretty good yourself. Don't forget that!
    @Gomi: I'm still working on the knees and the elbows. It's a good thing you mentioned it because I sorta forgot. Thanks for the link to the rigging book. Can I see that normal map link too? I don't think a bump map will give enough of a bump for the rice.
  • Hmms. I need to find it again. Give me a sec.
  • Worked on an anime-styled toon-girl today, which I am going to use for my auto-rig script test and possibly sell on Turbo Squid so I can pay the intern. This week I have been working on concept art for my next game and learning about Maya Shaders.

Need to do hair, eyes, lashes, brows, socks, a shirt, and her pleated gray skirt. These shouldn't take long. I'm having a damnably hard time perfecting the eyeballs, though. Large toon eyes are a bitch to get right without lattice deformers.

• edited May 2011
    I made these quite a while ago now, but as far as I know, no one here knows about them. A few screenshots from three of my Portal maps:
    image image
    image image
    image image
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • Very nice Portal maps!
  • @Gomidog: Nice work on the Model, Gomi! Large toon eyes are really hard to do. It is my biggest problem on the fish girl.
    @Loz: Nice maps, but I can't really judge them with out playing them.
  • Ok, so my plan is to work at the fun job during the day and work on 3d model at night. I want to have 3d in my portfolio. It just takes so long to finish a model that it's a little frustrating. How long should it take to make a 3d model? I sorta gave up on sushi girl because it was really difficult to get her to look right. Hopefully after I'm done with this human girl, I'll have more patience to finish sushigirl up. I'm also trying to think of other things I could put in a reel. I know I should probably have a male model and some environment objects... Anyway, here's the new model. I started it a while ago(maybe a month ago). The first image at the top was with no character design sheet. It wasn't looking too pleasing, so I started designing a better character.
  • I love that character design. I can't wait to see the finished model.
  • I love that character design. I can't wait to see the finished model.
  • It varies in how long it takes to model a character. If you were only working on it in your off time, a month is good, I think! Plus, you get faster and faster as you model more. It looks super good!