This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

edited July 2010 in Everything Else
This thread is for the car enthusiasts of the forum, because it seems like we occasionally take over other threads. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but I though we should have our own thread for talking about our car stuff.

First Car:
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra International Edition (4 door sedan)
3.3L 204 Cu.Inch V6, producing 160bhp *grunt*
This was the International Edition, so it had all the bells: stereo with 6 channel, graphic equalizer, Driver information system, and power sunroof.
This guy would burn some serious rubber, even though with was a FF. It had a middle shifter for the automatic transmission, and it was so spacious inside!
I loved that car; You know that scene in Initial D where Takumi washes his '86? That was me and that car.

But it started having a lot of trouble all of the sudden. At one point my breaks burst a line and when we took it to the mechanic, he told us the front right bearing was shot to hell. That car was mine, bought and paid for, but I only paid $5000 for it, and repairs were going to be almost that much. So we got it towed home and eventually someone bought it for $500. I didn't want to sell it, but not selling it would have been silly.

Photos.

My current car:
1992 Honda Civic LX (4 door sedan)
Engine is perfect (less than 50k on it), it's the rest of it that's having issues. Speedo bounces up and down occasionally, gas gauge is a quarter tank too low, transmission is lazy...
Also it's underpowered (16 valve SOHC, 109BHP at best) and, being a FF, it under-steers.

Still, it's my first small car, and I can definitely appreciate the qualities of a small car: Maneuverability, fuel efficiency, faster cornering, etc. It's also my first car with a handbrake, so it's the first car that I could go sideways in.

It's our only car right now, so sonsidering the trouble it's having, we're thinking of getting new cars. My dad will get what ever he will get for the family, but I'm really trying to steer him towards something small and sporty for us. Maybe a '05 Honda Civic or a Golf GTI.

Comments

• Very interesting, because my car is a 1988 Honda Civic LX (4 door sedan). And up until 6 weeks ago or so, it ran beautifully. Finally got a chance to look at it today and discovered that the reason it won't start is probably because the ECU controlling the fuel injector is shot. Depending on the price for replacement, I might have to say goodbye to my old car :(
  • My first car was a Layland Mini Clubman 1275 GT, electric blue, with the original engine, bored and stroked, and a big fuck-off supercharger bolted on.
    image(Click to embiggen)
    My father in the photo, by the way.
    That little fucker was an absolute rocket - It'd take cars twice it's size, and eat 'em up like snacks.

I've had various cars and bikes since then, including a Nissan long-wheelbase rear-wheel drive van(that I tuned, and dropped a nice big turbo on - but you can't drive it in the wet), a Mitsubishi Magna(a bit of a sleeper, it's been slowly fixed up and tuned up over time, now it's quicker than you'd expect, and handles a lot better - but it's still a pig), A 1986 Toyota Corolla, a Suzuki Hyabusa, a KTM super duke, a beatiful datsun pulsar that I worked on for an age, would blow modern cars out of the water, and which my sister wrecked driving like a retard, a ZZR-600 Custom, done up into a streetfighter. That's about it.
  • Still, it's my first small car
    What? Let me double take that.
    small car
    Doooooooooood, pass me some o' da pizza.
    [picture of mini]
    datass.jpg

Haven't owned a car meself yet. One reason. First one was always gonna be a Mini. Prolly gonna be a 90s Cooper.
  • My first "car" was a 97 jeep wrangler. This was terrible in every quantifiable way. Learned at lot about driving though, because it was libel to simply topple over if you cornered too fast. So I learned how to properly apex a turn so I could go as quickly as possible.

Fast forward several years, and I know have a 2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero. I've had this car 5 or 6 years, I'm not really sure anymore. It's an absolute rocket and nukes things it shouldn't be able to (like a Subaru WRX STi). Which reminds me, I need to make an offering to the saab gods so my car will keep running well. A set of virgin NGK platinum plugs. Where this car falls down is the corners, it's sway bars just aren't big enough and it rolls over like a boat. That said it has an unquantifiable fun factor. The sound of the engine, the feel of the steering and the seat. It pulls a very difficult trick in that is very fun to drive at ordinary speeds. It's become the bar by which I measure all other cars.
  • I have no car. I liked my car, but living in NYC, it was just a burden. I would like to have a car again, but it would take a very large amount of money to ensure that having the car in NYC would not be a hassle. Thus, I have the following strategy.

Do not buy a car until I have enough money to buy a Nissan Skyline GT-R (the new one) and a place to park it.
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R (the new one)
    Why the GT-R?
  • I'll second that - As much as I like the GT-R, I wouldn't have picked you for a GT-R man, Scott, it just doesn't seem like your car, if that makes sense.
  • I would have, Scott is a numbers guy and the GT-R is a numbers car. But rather than save up for a $85K car, there's a lot of other cars I'd buy first instead. If you want another numbers car, the Mitsubishi Evo MR does 75+% of what a GT-R does for half the price.

Like a friend last night told me she was thinking of buying an Elise. I told her a Mazda Miata will do most of what the Elise does for half the price. It's also more reliable, a full convertible rather than a targa, and has a trunk you can actually use.
  • I would have, Scott is a numbers guy and the GT-R is a numbers car. But rather than save up for a $85K car, there's a lot of other cars I'd buy first instead. If you want another numbers car, the Mitsubishi Evo MR does 75+% of what a GT-R does for half the price.

Like a friend last night told me she was thinking of buying an Elise. I told her a Mazda Miata will do most of what the Elise does for half the price. It's also more reliable, a full convertible rather than a targa, and has a trunk you can actually use.
    The Elise is a cool looking car you buy because you can, and you have another car for the rainy days, but a Miata, no thanks. Same thing goes for the GT-R but I'd also consider the Evo, either way, if you live in the city, you won't be using 50% of the cars power.
  • The Elise is a cool looking car you buy because you can, and you have another car for the rainy days, but a Miata, no thanks. Same thing goes for the GT-R but I'd also consider the Evo, either way, if you live in the city, you won't be using 50% of the cars power.
    So what cars do you drive?
  • edited July 2010
    I would have, Scott is a numbers guy and the GT-R is a numbers car. But rather than save up for a $85K car, there's a lot of other cars I'd buy first instead. If you want another numbers car, the Mitsubishi Evo MR does 75+% of what a GT-R does for half the price.
    That's roughly what I was thinking - GT-Rs are certainly a numbers car, but they're hardly alone, and Scott is a reasonable practical person(rather than a filthy gearhead and a hoon like me) so I don't quite see him spending eighty-five plus on a car like that, and not have anywhere to really stretch it's legs, or hang the arse out a bit in the corners.

Though, I gotta admit, I'd buy a GT-R in New York, and then I'd go out and find some places to let her loose, simply because that's what I'm like. I'm the type of person, who if you gave a million dollars to buy a car, I wouldn't buy a top of the line luxury car, I'd buy something like the Holden Monaro Bathurst special, or a tasty little Ariel Atom. I don't care if it's a hotted up Civic, or a top of the line Maserati - Speaking of which, I'm going to see if I can get my hands on My mate's Maserati Bora, and see if I can tear-arse around in it a bit, I really can't help myself - it's gotta be a car that can be driven hard, and feels damn good when you do. When I have that, I'm going to do so whenever I can. I'm just addicted to cars and driving, it's the way I am.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2010
    The Elise is a cool looking car you buy because you can, and you have another car for the rainy days, but a Miata, no thanks. Same thing goes for the GT-R but I'd also consider the Evo, either way, if you live in the city, you won't be using 50% of the cars power.
    So what cars do you drive?
    I drive a 1982 Datsun 280zx, only car I've ever had. I'll post a picture when I get home.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited July 2010
    I drive a 1982 Datsun 280zx, only car I've ever had.
    Oh shit, that's awesome! I'm a lover of the Z cars, My old man had a 240 and a 260, and I've owned a 280 and had a 300ZX loaned to me for a while. Beautiful machines.

Edit - Yes, I know, I've had or driven a hell of a lot of cars - I can't help it, I've had my head in an engine bay and hands on the wheel ever since I was old enough to see over a grille and reach the pedals, respectively.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I drive a 1982 Datsun 280zx, only car I've ever had.
    Not bad, how long you had it? Any mods?
  • The GT-R because it's a computer on wheels, and I'm a computer guy.
  • I drive a 1982 Datsun 280zx, only car I've ever had.
    Not bad, how long you had it? Any mods?
    Costarican government prohibits most mods on vehicles (the worthwhile ones at least). I've only swapped the air filter and the exhaust system. I've had the car for 6 years now, it's a total beater, I've been restoring it little by little

You must understand that in my country you can't import an older car, because when you register the car they expect it to preform as a vehicle from the same year you registered it, so emissions have to be up to par with vehicles bought new the same year. So I had to go dumpster diving for my car, that was registered in 1985, so it breezes through the yearly inspections.

I've had to rebuild the transmission, swap the rear calipers, rebuild the mainfold, the exhaust system, I've been working out all the electrical bugs, new alternator, new air filter, general overhaul.

Next month I'll install a set of KYB shocks, I still have to rectify the chassis as the front left tire is 1 degree off to the front and my car doesn't have a way of adjusting it mechanically. After that is an engine swap for the turbo version, a bigger torque converter and a paint job.
    Are you sure there's not anything else? There are plenty of cars out there with serious computer systems, and plenty of aftermarket computer systems that you can install into many modern cars, surely that can't be the only reason.
  • Still, it's my first small car
    What? Let me double take that.
    small car
    Doooooooooood, pass me some o' da pizza.
    Small compared to my first car.
    The GT-R because it's a computer on wheels, and I'm a computer guy.
    Are you sure there's not anything else? There are plenty of cars out there with serious computer systems, and plenty of aftermarket computer systems that you can install into many modern cars, surely that can't be the only reason.
    I've done a lot of research into aftermarket car computer systems, and what you say is true, however, the level of integration and additional sensors and data streams available in the R35 is far superior.

However, I would, personally, choose the Lancer Evo as well, due to its shorter wheelbase and wide availability of after-market parts.
    I restate my Mitsu Evo recommendation. That car has more computer controlled differentials than regular ones. The Subaru STi also has some powerful computer McGuffins going on. The Chevrolet Corvette also have a really slick adjustable traction control system.

So I'm thinking that since I didn't like the STi and I'm going to keep my SAAB (which is big and has 4 doors) I'll be able to get a 2 seater car. I'm thinking a Mazda Miata Touring. Anyone has any thoughts on this?
  • I'm thinking a Mazda Miata Touring. Anyone has any thoughts on this?
    I have a thing for Miatas, so I approve of this idea.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm thinking a Mazda Miata Touring. Anyone has any thoughts on this?
    I have a thing for Miatas, so I approve of this idea.
    I also have a thing about Miatas, I hate them, but on a purely subjective basis.

If I were to buy an extra car, it would be a small pickup.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I restate my Mitsu Evo recommendation. That car has more computer controlled differentials than regular ones. The Subaru STi also has some powerful computer McGuffins going on. The Chevrolet Corvette also have a really slick adjustable traction control system.
    Just about every car you buy these days is largely computerized internally. The difference with the GT-R is that it doesn't try to hide that fact. They put the touch-screen right in the dashboard like "Hey, this car is a computer. You best start programming it, fool!"
  • edited July 2010
    I've done a lot of research into aftermarket car computer systems, and what you say is true, however, the level of integration and additional sensors and data streams available in the R35 is far superior.
    If it's sensors and data-streams you're after, then it's still quite possible to beat it real tidy with an aftermarket system, you just have to be a bit more industrious than shoving an aftermarket kit in. Control of these things is harder to DIY, but you can do it, sure enough. But to be honest - while I've not driven an R-35, I've ridden shotgun in one, and played about with the system of which you speak, and I'd say it's really not enormously special, if you compare other cars - such as the Evo - and aftermarket systems. It's got some nice bells and whistles, but relatively, it's no revolution.
    I restate my Mitsu Evo recommendation. That car has more computer controlled differentials than regular ones. The Subaru STi also has some powerful computer McGuffins going on. The Chevrolet Corvette also have a really slick adjustable traction control system.
    Agreed.
    So I'm thinking that since I didn't like the STi and I'm going to keep my SAAB (which is big and has 4 doors) I'll be able to get a 2 seater car. I'm thinking a Mazda Miata Touring. Anyone has any thoughts on this?
    Not a huge fan of the STi myself, either, for much the same reason - Sure, it rides nice enough, and goes fast, but it's just too...numb. It's detached, clean, and sterile - and not in a good way, either.

The touring, though - Isn't that the STO model from 97? I thought they were pretty rare, wasn't there only 1500 or so of them produced? I'll admit, I'm a little out of date, I've not paid attention to the Miatas for a long time, and you're probably speaking of a model I'm not familiar with, or it's a slang issue.
    Just about every car you buy these days is largely computerized internally. The difference with the GT-R is that it doesn't try to hide that fact. They put the touch-screen right in the dashboard like "Hey, this car is a computer. You best start programming it, fool!"
    I'm not sure you're serious, or if you're just playing, but I'll bite, and lead with "You've not actually looked at any comparable cars to the GT-R lately, have you?"
    Seriously, cars with dash mounted Screens, touch or not, are dime a dozen. Performance cars like the GTR with high information displays are damn near standard, these days. As for Programming it, I raise two points - 1)If you actually wanted to program it, you're shit outta luck. It's mainly, if not entirely an informational and entertainment display. 2)I would suggest raising your knowledge about how a car actually works before you attempt to program any in-car computer that has the ability to change anything about how the car drives. Scott, You can't even change your own battery, I hope you're not thinking that doing adjustments to the car set-up - from the dash computer or not - is a good idea.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R (the new one)
    Fuck that, the R33 looks better. The R34 and R35 look like shit. Both are a random front and a random back welded together.
    The GT-R because it's a computer on wheels, and I'm a computer guy.
    But you won't be able to install Linux on it!
    Small compared to my first car.
    Doesn't make it a small car.
    There, it's a bit dirty since its rainy season and the neighbors are doing some construction work. It's not in perfect condition, but I like it.
  • Fuck that, the R33 looks better. The R34
    Those are not road legal in the US, but I agree with you.
    The touring, though - Isn't that the STO model from 97?
    No no, I'm talking about a brand new one. I want to get a super reliable car in addition to a sports car. Currently my only drivable car is a saab, which is bad because saabs like to break down. There are 3 models, Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. The Grand Touring has leather seats, which I don't want in a car like this. And the Sport has a 5 spd gearbox instead of a 6 spd. The Touring seems like the best compromise.
    If I were to buy an extra car, it would be a small pickup.
    I actually thought about a small pickup for a while, but then realized I had no use for one.
  • No no, I'm talking about a brand new one. I want to get a super reliable car in addition to a sports car.
    Yeah, after you mentioned it, I was reading up on the current year Miatas. Damns.
    The Grand Touring has leather seats, which I don't want in a car like this.
    You're a man after my own heart. Cloth grips better (I hate sliding around on turns).
  • You're a man after my own heart. Cloth grips better (I hate sliding around on turns).
    It's also fuck all hot, and in a drop top that's not a good thing.
  • No no, I'm talking about a brand new one. I want to get a super reliable car in addition to a sports car. Currently my only drivable car is a saab, which is bad because saabs like to break down. There are 3 models, Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. The Grand Touring has leather seats, which I don't want in a car like this. And the Sport has a 5 spd gearbox instead of a 6 spd. The Touring seems like the best compromise.
    Ah, fair enough - I didn't know about that one, I should look one up.
  • So, are you thinking the power hard top or the soft?