This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• <(^^<)</font> \__8====D___/ (>^^)>
  • Chinkofune Matsuri?!
  • What's up forum dwellers!

My name is Joe and I'm 28. I'm currently serving in the USAF stationed in Ohio. I was stationed in Florida before that and have spent some time in less than desirable locations if you catch my drift ;) I've been a geek since childhood thanks to my Dad who avidly read comics and loved cartoons and got me hooked on Jonny Quest @ an early age! Still love that show and can't help but say, "Sim sim sala bim" whenever I come up to a those grocery store automatic door things (what the hell are those called!?). Anyway, oddly enough, despite my geekery, I am married to a beautiful woman and have a son on the way! When we met she was far from a geek and I don't think she knew how bad I was until a year or two later ;) I had an elaborate plan to convert her into something I could work with :D So over the course of a couple years I got her into board games. I started off small with Carcassonne and now she's a veteran with Agricola and has dabbled a little with some pre-constructed Magic decks, what!? During all this conversion to the better side of board games I managed to get her into Sci-fi and with that I started her right off with Battlestar Galactica and it worked! A recent development was moving her from liking only Disney animation to having an interest in anime. I started off on the "edge" with Avatar the Last Airbender... I know it's not an anime but it was on the line between American animation and anime and looking back it was a good choice. After that, I managed to get her to watch DBZ Kai and Naruto and next on the agenda will be Fullmetal Alchemist. After that, who knows? Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion? The sky could be the limit!!! This "project" has definitely been a practice in patience but it has been paying off recently!

So...what else? Well, I'm into all the geek things that Geeknights stands for. I love anime, technology, gaming, comics, etc. I have three dogs! A pit bull, a german shepard, and a shih tzu...yeah a shih tzu! I can thank my ex-wife for that one...yep, I've already been married! One of the perks of being in the military! Your first wife is just for practice ;) I'm a board game nut and my collection is sitting at about 60+ games. I love comics and just recently finished reading all of Bone and am now reading the manga 20th Century Boys thanks to Scott's Box! I play XBox 360 and PC exclusively and occasionally pull out my Dreamcast ;) I love anything by Valve except Team Fortress 2...what a let down! I remember playing the original when it was a Quake mod and waiting however many years for the sequel...so disappointing... I'm really looking forward to the Old Republic from Bioware. If it sucks, I'll never play an MMO again, I'm serious! Anyway, I guess that's about it! I look forward to contributing to the community and blah blah blah...the end!
  • Enthusiastic. Welcome!
  • Well, howdy, folks. My name's Shane and I hate forums, but Rym and Scott led me to believe that this one is different. I was born in 1989, and I didn't own an actual video game console until the N64 came out, so I missed quite a bit of classic gaming, which I'm trying to catch up on with a jailbroken iPad. I work for a certain most-valuable-company-in-the-world, and in my free time I enjoy playing the aforementioned video games, reading comic books, watching movies (both great and terrible), and riding my bicycle. Oh, and I like D&D, but since I moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania last year, I have not yet found a group to play with.

I just recently started watching anime, and have eased myself in with cute stuff like Azumanga Daioh and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and some funny action stuff like Gurren Lagen and Fullmetal Alchemist. I also absolutely love the works of Hayao Miyazaki and the movie Paprika. I still haven't seen greats like FLCL and Cowboy Bebop, but I do remember watching Outlaw Star on Toonami at two in the morning and loving it.

As for comics, right now I mostly read Batman/Detective Comics, Uncanny X-Men, Deadpool, some Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, and American Vampire. My favorite games are mostly action RPGs, mostly ones made by Bioware. I also really loved Heavy Rain.

Oh, and I have an adorable kitty named Goomba.

That's all I can think of for now. Ta-ta!
  • I hate forum
    Forums suck.

We talked about why for a bit during one of our PAX panels.
  • Yeah, forums suck. Don't come here, we're awful people.
  • Oh, and I have an adorable kitty named Goomba.
    Pics in the Pet Photos thread of it didn't happen.

WELCOME!
  • I work for a certain most-valuable-company-in-the-world,
    The company that makes straws for fast food chains?
  • I work for a certain most-valuable-company-in-the-world,
    The company that makes straws for fast food chains?
    Surely you mean the toilet paper company.
  • Hola People. Hi. My name is Cassie and discovered this forum by way of end of the world pics. More precisely, the pic of Randy Savage about to drop an elbow on JC. I will be 40 this year and 15 years married as of June 1. I still don't know how the hell he has put up with me all these years. Also have an awesome 7 year old boy. Of course he's awesome, isn't your kid awesome, too? I have an AAS degree is petrochemical technology, but am stuck working as a telemetry monitor tech at a local hospital.
    Can't say I am a true gamer, but I enjoy being a geek. Guess I am just excited I survived the rapture!! Woo hoo!! I would have been sweating my ass off!!

Ciao!!
  • isn't your kid awesome, too?
    He/she/it is. Probably more awesome than your kid since he/she/it hasn't given me sleepless nights because the bastard/bitch/brick kept crying at night. I totally love my daughter/son/hellspawn, for real, as the disillusioned asshole that I am. Welcome to the forums. Don't let the door hit you on the way in. It's rocket-powered.
  • isn't your kid awesome, too?
    He/she/it is. Probably more awesome than your kid since he/she/it hasn't given me sleepless nights because the bastard/bitch/brick kept crying at night. I totally love my daughter/son/hellspawn, for real, as the disillusioned asshole that I am. Welcome to the forums. Don't let the door hit you on the way in. It's rocket-powered.
    . There's just not quite enough in there though. If you look at it from the right perspective it's almost as if he doesn't know all the basics when despite this he can douse it.
  • He/she/it is. Probably more awesome than your kid since he/she/it hasn't given me sleepless nights because the bastard/bitch/brick kept crying at night. I totally love my daughter/son/hellspawn, for real, as the disillusioned asshole that I am. Welcome to the forums. Don't let the door hit you on the way in. It's rocket-powered.
    Can't you be a little more welcoming nineless?
  • Can't you be a little more welcoming nineless?
    That'd be way too easy. I'd be impressed if he could be less welcoming.
  • That'd be way too easy. I'd be impressed if he could be less welcoming.
    Smells like... a dare.
  • Less a dare, I've got no doubt you'll do it. More a challenge.
  • hi everybody my name is Stacey, but my friends call me SadlyDash. I'm 18 going on 19 and just finishing high school. so i love all art forms i do sculpting,painting,sketching(lots of sketching)and cooking. i plan to become a chef, but still continue to do commission artwork..... um i also enjoy geeky things u know video games anime and the like. also if u ever want a cutie mark necklace i have begun making them. i currently sport a rainbolt so if u want something just hit me up at my email :3
  • edited June 2011
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll find the geekiness of this forum plentiful and to your liking. You should be able to find your way to the MLP:FiM thread fairly quickly, and I'm sure you'll fit in quite nicely there.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Capital letters and whole words will serve you well here. Do visit the Wakfu thread too.
  • Thanks I will.
  • edited June 2011
    Welcome to the forum, Dash; we're glad to have you! I think you'll find we're a pretty friendly and welcoming bunch here, once you straighten your grammar out and get to know us.
    Post edited by Zombie Nine on
  • Welcome to the forum, Dash; we're glad to have you! I think you'll find we're a pretty friendly and welcoming bunch here, once you straighten your grammar out and get to know us.
    Now THAT is some next-level trolling.
  • edited June 2011
    Welcome to the forum, Dash; we're glad to have you! I think you'll find we're a pretty friendly and welcoming bunch here, once you straighten your grammar out and get to know us.
    Now THAT is some next-level trolling.
    Is Nine just going to rise and fall every few months? I'm bored already.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited June 2011
    Hullo. The name is Laur Joost (IPA: laur jo:st, yeah, Estonian is simple like that... till you get to declension, there's fourteen cases...), and if you read stuff in parenteses (there's a lot of parenteses when I write something, I'm working on it... (there's also lots of ellipsis...es?)) you have already figured out where I'm from.

I'm a Physics BS student at the University of Tartu in Estonia, third year (and not graduating) though I'm thinking of changing majors to Computer Engineering (on my third year, with a low GPA, yeah, not too likely). I actually like physics, being able to work out the workings of works and all that, and I'm able to bust out a differential equation and maybe even solve it, if I have to. But I like working with computers more.

I'm also part of the university's show group, the Science Bus. Physics, Chem, Robotics, Materials Science. Basically, we go to schools to convert the younglings with flashy, loud, colorful and sometimes, insightful displays of "science".

Before I can start thinking about changing majors, however, I have the mandatory military training to take care of (I was hoping to have graduated from BS by that time), which brings me to this forum.

I'll explain, but first, background.

I've been a listener of GN for some years, where and when I originally found it, I really don't know, but it was in high school. However, I made the mistake of trying to listen through the archive... which turned me off of the show in a few months (6h/week of Rott is quite alright, listening to them pretty much the whole waking hours gets tiring). I've occasionally listened the odd episode, mostly when some random old one lost between music pops up in winamp on random, taking me to check the webpage. But not having a portable player (left my old one in the dressing booth of a department store, needless to say, it was gone in the 5 mins it took me to get back there... Those were good earphones, nevermind the player...) put a damper on listening and the SE phone's proprietary connector angered me to no end constantly disconnecting in my pocket. When I'm behind my computer, I'm usually (failing at) studying, so I really don't need the distraction.

Well, now that the military training is nigh, it gave me a nice excuse to get a smartphone (Android of course) to be able to chat with my hon after lights-out in the barracks. After having messed the obligatory messes (try every keyboard I could find (precious few that have decent Estonian support, ended up with the default LG one), switch the launcher to LauncherPro, get the agenda and calendar and timetable all looking like I want them and working and syncing) I installed 3 apps for fun: Chess (I'm no good at it, which is why), a GReader client (for the webcomics and blogs and Not Always Right), and a podcatcher (for GN). So now I'm listening again, and there's Scott claiming that the FRC forum is better than sliced bread. Now, I do have a facebook account, but I rarely use it. Haven't been active in a forum for ages, except when I sign up to a new one just to smite stupidity (mostly the science kind, and only if they really claim to be knowledgeable yet spout stuff a high-school junior should know to be bollocks (Though yeah, I once had my ass handed to me by a Physics PhD about helium voice)).

So I thought, why not give this forum a whirl, see how far it flies.

Geekeries: Well,
    • Natural Sciences (obviously);
    • Webcomics: current favourites El Goonish Shive, Freefall, Poisoned Minds, Salome (oglaf.com), Misfile, Sinfest, Yosh!, Dresden Codak, Girl Genius, Finder's Keepers, Gunnerkrigg Court, Johnny Wander, FreakAngels, LICD, Questionable Content, PHD, Sorcery 101, Wayrift, xkcd, SMBC, Yellow Peril, TwoKinds, Las Lindas, plus anything from Bobby Crosby, Eisu Mokhtar, Sarah Ellerton (Dreamless get an honorary mention although it has ended), and the list is incomplete.
    • Webserials: current favourites Tales of MU, anything from Sharon T. Rose
    • Anime: seen the biggies: Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Escaflowne, Akira etc... At one time, was following One Piece religiously. Nobody agrees with me, but NGE got way too philosophical in the end... I'll give it a go again in a few years, until then I judge it based on my perception, and will not agree to discuss it (don't really remember all of it too clearly anymore :P). Am able to listen to the Seatbelts or GitS soundtrack pretty much constantly, Tank is my ringtone, Kanno's live performance in Tokyo (Piano Solo) the background muzak while studying, Car24 the wake-up tune.
    • Avatard, browncoat and (tentatively) ponymaniac (they don't have a fandom name yet?), or at least fan of the animated ones (and live ones...), don't really have any of them on my shelves. Really, I only have books on my shelves...
    • Video games (or would be, if I could afford a decent PC and the time), my all-time-favourites: Deperados (1, not 2), Syberia, Monkey Island series, NFS:HP ja MW, Metal Gear series, Dreamfall. Basically childhood memories (except the last one), haven't touched anything besides a few MMOs for years. I think I'd love the Witcher.
    • Books: Anything by Hawking and the other big shots, anything from Prachett or Gaiman, some classics, Artemis Fowl, Farseer, LotR (really, dump it in with the classics :)
    Well maybe less geek about some than others. Science, webcomics and webserials are really the big time-guzzlers. Occasionally, I dabble in manga, if hon finds something good... Currently Sun-Ken Rock. Sometimes something more risqué.

Am thinking of starting a webcomic just for learning to draw. I want to draw, but am not good at it, so I tend to lose patience. This would somewhat force me to get it done (in theory).

Aside from the graphomania when it comes to stuff like forum posts and youtube comments, that's it, I think.

Edit: Ninja'd.
    Post edited by Jostikas on
  • ponymaniac (they don't have a fandom name yet?),
    That would be Brony.

Great intro and welcome! I don't think we ever had a forum member from Estonia. Cool, however I will apologize and let you know that everytime I think of Estonia I will always think of Encino Man which has nothing really to do with your country.
  • Woot! Estonia! I have only met one person from Estonia, and he was a metal-head who helped us move house!
    Welcome to the forums.
  • Hey Jostikas, quite an opening you had there, you seem cool. Fun fact: Estonia is one of the rare countried where I've visited and only where my visits have been purely on vacation.
  • Hey hey, I'm Caleb or TelaTotius (Latin for world wide web) as I decided to put in to the white rectangle of destiny. I'm Canadian and a fan of old video games and just getting into anime, and that seems to be your shindig so, glad to be here.