This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice & Fire)

edited August 2011 in Everything Else
I figure this topic deserves it's own thread to talk about the books and the TV series.

I'm seriously digging the series and am slowly but surely getting into the novels. After a 3 day bender of watching the first season I am hooked. I already read a lot of spoilers because I couldn't help myself.

I will say that I am beyond impressed with the TV series opening and the animation to that as well as the soundtrack. I always find myself trying to catch all the details and of course the new things they add for some of the episodes.

Also here is a nice little behind the scenes of the visual effects. WARNING: it contains spoilers.
xkptadiDABo

And on a final note: WINTER IS COMING.

Comments

• SPOILARZ:

Dave Navarro dies.
  • edited August 2011
    SPOILARZ: Uncle Fester has no peepee.

Also Tyrion Lannister & Arya Stark are my favorite characters so far. I like what's going on with Danerys, but don't necessarily think her overall character is great.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I just finished the show a few days ago, and it was fantastic. I had tried listening to the audiobook, but I had to stop because I just couldn't deal with the unnecessary exposition anymore.
    Also Tyrion Lannister & Arya Stark are my favorite characters so far.
    Likewise, and I'm also a fan of John Snow.
  • Likewise, and I'm also a fan of John Snow.
    Indeed. I forgot about that bastard.
  • I like what's going on with Danerys, but don't necessarily think her overall character is great.
    Psh, I love Daenerys, I think she is such an awesome strong female character (thats not a total bitch, like that other adult female character).
    I Daenerys and Jon Snow are totally gunna meet up at some point and fight off the zombies together to save the realm. (Fire + Ice)!
    And rule together and make awesome babies.
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah you have it pretty spot-on. Tyrion Lannister, Arya Stark, and Jon Snow are by far the best characters in the series. Not to say there aren't good ones, but those are definitely the top 3.

After having seen the TV show now, I'd say the character it improves the most is Littlefinger, which is warranted after you realize how integral he is to the show's central conflict.
    SPOILARZ: After his dreams of wedding and bedding Cateyn Tully (now Stark) were crushed, he settled for pining after her whacko sister, Lyssa. While the Lannisters are made to look like the ultimate evil, the death of the king's hand, Jon Arryn, was actually because Littlefinger convinced Lyssa to poison her own husband!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • @Lyddi: At ComicCon, dude what plays John Snow said that he wants to see him on the throne. I like your idea.
  • I haven't actually watched the show yet, but damn does Danerys' hair look fake as hell in every screenshot I have seen. I really don't like the look of the whole series to be honest, it clashes so hard with what I see in my head with the books I don't think I can stand to watch it.
  • I haven't actually watched the show yet, but damn does Danerys' hair look fake as hell in every screenshot I have seen. I really don't like the look of the whole series to be honest, it clashes so hard with what I see in my head with the books I don't think I can stand to watch it.
    She's very much a brunette IRL.
  • edited August 2011
    Psh, I love Daenerys, I think she is such an awesome strong female character (thats not a total bitch, like that other adult female character).
    Well I did like how she stood up to her brother in the series, but I want to see more of the strong female character. She does a lot of staring.

Also your prediction is awesome. I approve.

@Matt that wouldn't be far fetched from all the sinister things that happen in that damn series.
    I haven't actually watched the show yet, but damn does Danerys' hair look fake as hell in every screenshot I have seen. I really don't like the look of the whole series to be honest, it clashes so hard with what I see in my head with the books I don't think I can stand to watch it.
    I'm a bit on the opposite. I kinda like how I watched the series and now I'm getting into the books. It helps with the imagination a bit.

I think they did a great job with creating the Westeros and its many kingdoms. I was pretty impressed by it all.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited August 2011
    She does a lot of staring.
    Thats the other thing I noticed in all the screenshots, she looks like a deer in the headlights of a Mack truck all the time. Maybe in the early part of the first book that wouldn't be too bad but by the end she should have some spark to her, and in screens that are obviously from the end of Game of Thrones she still looks sort of dull eyed an confused.
    Post edited by panfriedmarmot on
  • Well I did like how she stood up to her brother in the series, but I want to see more of the strong female character. She does a lot of staring.
    Trust me, things change drastically for her through the books, its quite surprising what she goes through. Don't want to spoil too much though. :-P

About things not looking like things... I started reading the books about halfway through the season, so I pretty much see everything as in the show. Except for Tyrion. As awesome as Peter Dinklage is, Tyrion is described way different, so my brain sees him as this ugly pirate-looking dwarf instead.
    SPOLIARZ!11!: When the show catches up to the epic battle where Tyrion's face gets p0wned, I wonder if they will go all out and make the scar really epic and ugly, no nose and everything. I bet they make it a sexy manly scar instead.
  • edited August 2011
    I've read all five books, and yeah she goes through a lot of great moments that I won't spoil, but I think she's still kinda a deer in headlights. The portrayal of her in the show is fitting of her character.

Here's my theory on Jon Snow (well, not really mine, but a prevailing internet theory): One of the big remaining untouched secrets of the book is the mystery of Jon Snow's lineage. Who is his mother, and is it significant? It probably is since it's been danced around so much. The big theory is that he's half Stark, half Targaryen. It wouldn't be unheard of for him to get it on with Danny if that is the case, since the Targaryens always inter-breed to keep the blood lines clean.

The theory is hard to come by from just watching the show, but it is based on evidence presented almost entirely in the first book, which contains flashback after flashback to Robert's rebellion against the Targaryens. It's well established that Prine Rhaegar lusted after ned Starks's now-deceased sister, Lyanna, but that he wound up in a political marriage with Elia of Dorne. Why then, in Ned Stark's fever dreams, does he have flashbacks to having to rescue his sister from a keep defended by two kingsguard knights? The only reason kingsguard would be there is if Lyanna was carrying Rhaegar's love bun, and she probably died due to birth complications. There's little other supporting details here or there but I won't go any further. Just read/listen to the books and keep your eyes out for these little clues! It could be a totally bogus theory but I think it makes sense, aside from Jon not looking ANYTHING like a Targaryen.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Response to Jon Snow theory:

Like I said, predicting anything in these books is folly, but one must predict anyway...
    I think its fairly obvious his mom is important, and I think somewhere it mentioned she was highborn? I bet that's how in the end everyone gets over his bastardness, and are okay with him leaving the Night's Watch (if my earlier theory were to happen). But then again, many different characters seem to bring it up and say different things, like in the 5th book someone (forget who) specifically said she was a captain's daughter (or something along those lines) and that she and Ned were on a ship when they had their affair, and that this character was there so that's how he knew about it. So confusing. I always try to pay attention when they talk about her. Your (or the internet's) theory is interesting though. It does say Jon looks a whole lot like Ned though, so I think hes really his son. Although maybe Jon could've gotten those looks through Lyanna? Eh.

Oh, and during the ComicCon panel when someone asked if Kit knew who Jon's mom was, he was all coy about it, saying he didn't know, and then Lena raised her hand and looked all sly, or something like that, indicating that Cercei is his mom, or that's what everyone is getting out of that. WTF, I hope that's not true.
  • edited August 2011
    Show is great, and more than I could have possibly hoped for from a TV show.

Torrent the audio books and just listen to them at 2x speed on ipod (or whatever device can do 2x)

Only slow it back to normal speed for the fight scenes or detailed politics. You can mow out about 1 book a fortnight like this. I wouldn't recommend 2x for all books, but this series almost NEEDS it... :)
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Love this series!

By the way, it's called a Song of Ice and Fire, not fire and ice.

Second of all, concerning the theory about Jon Snow's parentage already mentioned by Matt:

HUGE Potential Spoilers:

Not only does Ned Stark have dreams about "rescuing" his sister from a keep, but there's a flashback to a tournament before the rebellion where Lyanna Stark gives her kerchief or "token of affection" to Rhaegar. The books don't come right out and say it, but they imply that Rhaegar did NOT rape her, like Robert thinks, but that they were very much in love with each other, but couldn't marry for political reasons. Additionally, in the first book, there's a lot of Ned flashing back to Lyanna saying "Promise me Ned" which is completely left out of the show. We are made to think that Ned promises to bring her body back to the crypts in Winterfell, when in fact the promise could have been to protect her infant son and hide his true identity. All the other Targaryen children, with the exception of Viserys and Daenerys were killed during the rebellion, and Lyanna probably didn't want the same thing to happen to her son. Even years later, Robert was willing to do almost anything to kill the last remaining Targaryen children. One more thing, is that in the first book, someone mentions that A) Arya reminds everyone of Lyanna when she was younger and B) that Jon and Arya look the most alike out of all the Stark children...

Jon doesn't look like a Targaryen beccause the Stark genes are more "potent" similarly to how Ned and Jon Arryn figured out that all of Cersei's children weren't Robert's because they were all blonde haired.

I'm about 2/3 done with the fifth book and I'm really enjoying it. I realize that it's been 11 years since I read a Jon, Tyrion, or Daenerys chapter and I forgot how much I liked their characters.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm about a hundred pages from done with book 5 and loving it.
    Spoilers: I love the way suddenly everyone wants to marry Daenerys in this book

Also, GoT RPG (spoils all of first book/season)
    Post edited by jmerm on
  • I'm really looking forward to the portayals of Davos Seaworth and Jaqen H'ghar my two favorite characters in the series. As such I'm really excited about the next season of Game of Thrones. It bothers me a bit that the series title is "Game of Thrones" and not "Song of Ice and Fire." As Game of Thrones is only the first book I'd like it if the next season of the show was titled "Clash of Kings." But that would confuse too many people so I understand keeping the title as it is. X(

And A Dance with Dragons might hold the answer to Jon's parentage.

SPOILARZ: In one of the Davos chapters he is detained by a lord who claims that one of his daughters (or nieces maybe) helped smuggle Ned away from his foes and a quick relationship bloomed from there. On a side note, I was quite happy to be proved right when I told my wife that I thought Davos was still alive after it was thought he had been sacrificed.
  • I'll be honest, I don't like Davos.
    Spoilers When I thought he was dead I got pretty excited that I wouldn't have to read any more of him.
  • Game of Thrones the RPG... don't watch unless you've seen the first season!

Game of Thrones RPG video
  • Just read the chapter in Clash of Kings where Dani trips balls and burns down the warlock palace I think that was the best chapter in the series so far, simply for WTF factor and the fact that it could mean everything or nothing for the rest of the series.
  • Clash of Kings is the best book in the series, in my opinion. Wish I could be reading it again for the first time.
  • Ript has had some house shirts available for sale. Today's is the Stark Dire Wolves.

I may have to make this one time exception on my personal ban on all t-shirts that are black.

• I did a marathon read of all 5 books on my way to japan. Now watching the show, but dismayed to wait once I consume it all.
  • I did a marathon read of all 5 books on my way to japan. Now watching the show, but dismayed to wait once I consume it all.
    good lord you have accomplished an inhuman feat, or are a serious spead reader. I need a vacation between GRRM books.
    good lord you have accomplished an inhuman feat, or are a serious spead reader. I need a vacation between GRRM books.
    I know! After certain points in his books (and I'll assume you can figure out what they are) I just had to put the book down for a couple of days. I just couldn't go on reading them right away.
    That is a bit misleading: it took longer than the 13 hour flight -- closer to several days. Which makes the expected 4+ year wait for the next one only slightly mitigated by anticipation of the show future seasons.