This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• This is a video series recently posted by a personal friend of mine regarding the people who comprise Gamergate. It's an enjoyable watch, even if a little elementary for most members of this forum. I recommend watching the final video, at minimum, since Ian's suggestions regarding public discussion may differ from yours (plural), and I am a firm believer in self-confrontation.
  • I'd been watching that as it game out each day. I find it's very well done, and a good analysis.
  • Someone wrote an essay about the reaction to GG, and there's been a reaction against it.
  • Apparently, GG feels it has made an astonishing breakthrough, discovering that Zoe Quinn wants to vacate the restraining order, but Gjoni wants to move the case higher. Quinn has three lawyers, but GG believes that her wanting the drop the case is proof she was just scamming the system.

My brother came to this proudly showing how feminists and other crazies can just scam people out of money. As he continues to support Donald Trump because "I don't associate with them anymore, for reals."
  • edited August 2015
    If you remember the kerfuffle about the Hugo Awards from a month back, I have good news: The voting is in and it seems that the Sad/Rabid Puppies have been thoroughly rejected.

A summary of the whole ordeal and its conclusion by Wired.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • "No Award" is the sweetest justice I can think to dish to these jerkholes.
  • I find it a pity that everyone didn't go all the way and vote no award on everything.
  • I find it a pity that everyone didn't go all the way and vote no award on everything.

People only voted "No Award" to the categories that the Sad Puppies managed to manipulate. Where possible, Hugos were still given out to deserving works, like in the Graphic Novel category.
  • If that is the case, then Three Body Problem is a deserving winner of a literary award. It isn't. It is objectively a badly written book.

But then again, just do you know, all this Puppies controversy and the outcome hasn't actually lowered my opinion about the Hugo awards, my regard for it was already that low.
  • It wasn't until all this nonsense that I learned how the Hugo Awards worked. I used to think it was some kind of like big deal award given by some highly-respected literary authority.

Illusion shattered.
  • I'm still glad that gomergate can't win even the tiniest of battles.
  • Good job "no award" was already built into the system.
  • Rym said:

I'm still glad that gomergate can't win even the tiniest of battles.

It just makes it even funnier when they act like they are obviously the superior and correct movement, when they legitimately accomplish absolutely nothing.
  • "LOL NO AWARD MEANS WE WIN BECAUSE THEY PUT POLITICS OVER AWARDS"

"Those grapes were probably sour anyway."

Both equivalent statements.
  • Ok let's be fair here, the only Sci Fi award that matters is the Seiun Awards.
  • "Study released by the Entertainment Software Association has revealed that adult women now occupy the largest demographic in the gaming industry."

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/adult-women-largest-gaming-demographic/
  • Hey Gomergaters, your moms now play more than you. Suck it.
  • Drive Thru RPG's parent company OneBookShelf have published an offensive content policy. The CEO writing the blog post seems like a reasonable guy. He'd rather not be involved but knows he has a responsibilty.

http://oneblogshelf.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/offensive-content-policy.html

Immediately after in the comments is a threat by James Raggi of Lamentations of the Flame Princess fearing he'll have his publications pulled. I've read his stuff before and it is pretty bloody and includes quite grizzly naughty bits body horror. It'd be about level with the Prince of Nothing books if they were illustrated. It's tough for him not to come across as a villain here as his cause looks too similar to gamer gate. But I don't think he does harm in the same way that gamer gate does.

I hope this one doesn't blow up in spite of the tone and attention James Raggi is trying to bring to it. He sent me an email saying to back up my purchases and (politely!) email OBS to voice concerns!
  • I think that everyone making this sound more devious than it should be is crazy. This is has been specifically about not including a game called "Tournament of Rapists." It is literally explicitly about that book. The overall content policy is nice, but that's not what the SJWs were after. Everyone trying to generalize the argument and "defend the idea of content" is ignoring the fact that the only thing that was went after was specifically "Tournament of Rapists." Either you're defending that book, or you're not. There isn't much more to it than that.
  • Can you explain for someone who never heard about this whole issue until now? Skimming the article, it seems the author of "Tournament of Rapists" agreed to pull the book before the offensive content policy became a thing.
  • Basically:
    1. People found "Tournament of Rapists," complained to the company.
    2. Company responds on Twitter flippantly, dodging the question and raising questions of "How far is too far?"
    3. Person who leads company contacts book author about controversy, author decides to pull book, head of company decides better content policies will be put in place to prevent future problems.
    4. Gamergaters (or like-minded individuals) complain about free speech/creation being limited by "content policies" and defend existence of selling basically anything.
  • Axel said:

4. Gamergaters (or like-minded individuals) complain about free speech/creation being limited by "content policies" and defend existence of selling basically anything.

I'm concerned about content I want being scooped up in this new policy, such as, as Totally Guy pointed out, Lamentations of the Flame Princess's books. That said, I will wait and see after their reporting feature is live.
  • As somebody writing an RPG that includes such hilariousness as atrocities against civilians, drug use, and napalm, I was briefly concerned before realizing that, like, that's a problem at my end, not theirs. If I fuck up and cross a line in my flailing and trying to have works with messages or whatever, that's on me.
  • I just don't think it's worth getting up in arms about until they start banning things that seemingly haven't crossed a line. The writer of the blog post seemed hesitant to even admit Tournament of Rapists was a problem at all (emphasizing repeatedly how "the rapists were the villains"), so I don't think he's being particularly hyper conservative.
  • The "explicitly about that book" argument doesn't seem to hold water though as the policy came after the book was removed.
  • The removal of the book and the policy were announced in essentially the same breath. The policy is directly resulting from that book, yes, and it may extend to other things, but unless something is as explicitly bad as "Tournament of Rapists," no one has any reason to believe their book is in danger. It's this kind of pre-emptive "But what if my thing is equally as bad? Are you gonna ban me too? Free speech?" that gets arguments going nowhere.
  • edited September 2015
    Needs posting again.

Post edited by Apreche on