This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Sitting here in something called a paese with a population of ~2000 during an annual festival called the festa di santa fortunata.

My Italian still betrays my being a native English speaker. So anyone I talk to asks if I'm American. First thing they ask? Clinton or Trump? I can't escape this shitshow of an election on the island of Sicily.

Fucking Clinton's possible pneumonia is being debated on local news. Stars and stones don't these people have anything better to do. Like focus on the fucking festival I came halfway around the world to witness?
  • Can you blame them?
  • No, but doesn't stop it from bothering me. I don't wanna get into politics with Italian farmers and processers. I wanna see the wine making process. I wanna talk olives and oil. I don't want a bunch of young people high five me and old people tell me I'm crazy.
  • Holy shit, I found a policy position I agree with Trump on (unless he changes his mind): Paid Maternity leave. That you americans do not get this is beyond baffling for me.

But speaking of changing minds:
  • Something something Hitler, something something, saves a puppy.
  • Of course this is the same position as Clinton.
  • Cremlian said:

Of course this is the same position as Clinton.

• So... either one gets in: anyone seriously think it'll happen?
  • The GOP will block it in congress.

If Clinton gets in, it'll be 4-12 more years of nothing happening.

If Trump gets in, only the bad things will happen.
  • So... no. America has exactly 0 chance of six weeks paid maternity leave.
  • Genuine (though off topic) question: How can you mix "0" and "six" in the same written sentence? Does your brain not think "One number I'm writing numerically and another number I'm spelling... but this is fine"?

Personally I have an internal style guide where, in a typical sentence, any number under 10 is a word, and any number above nine uses numerals. Exceptions include when a sentence starts with a number, or when a sentence contains a list of numbers of both single and multiple digits (a bit like Rym's use of "4-12 more years").
  • At the risk of veering off-topic:

As english is my second language I try to be more careful when writing it. I also normally keep a similar rule to write the "numbers less than twelve" as a word (not under ten because eleven and twelve are special also "simple" words rathern than "composites"). There edge-cases though where I will often default to numerics, e.g. when discussing a mathematical or scientific value or a reference to the symbol itself that designates something else, especially in conjunction with other special characters e.g. "I give that a 2% chance of happening", "It was -4°C outside" or "Gordie Howe wore #9".
  • Wow guys you're out pedanting Naoza. That takes skill.
  • Genuine (though off topic) question: How can you mix "0" and "six" in the same written sentence? Does your brain not think "One number I'm writing numerically and another number I'm spelling... but this is fine"?

Personally I have an internal style guide where, in a typical sentence, any number under 10 is a word, and any number above nine uses numerals. Exceptions include when a sentence starts with a number, or when a sentence contains a list of numbers of both single and multiple digits (a bit like Rym's use of "4-12 more years").

Honest answer, didn't notice. Normally would catch and fix, however some combo of being in the hot Italian sun, being on my phone, and having my relatives bug me every now and then caused a mistake. One I will let stand as an example to myself to be better.
  • Well that and it's already too late to go back and edit but I like my more noble explination.
  • I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I wasn't even asking for a correction. It's just one of those things that make me realize not everyone has an internal style guide!
  • edited September 2016
    Well you're right about one thing. I don't have a formal internal style guide. But I do have an informal one. When I write I usually rewrite things until they "look right". It's not consistent across everything I write, but I do take steps to make it pleasing to my own eye:

I move comas around until they match the pauses in my speah, I fix up capitalisations of possible proper nouns e.g. The Internet vs the internet; and yes, I make my numbers consistent within the body of text I'm writing.

re: starting a sentence with a number; I usually rewrite it until it doesn't.

What happened above was not having time and the frustrating mobile interface causing me to not care about mistakes as much.

At this point off topic is actually on topic.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Now Trump wants to end all food safety regulation. This man is fucking insane. How can anybody vote for this lunatic?
  • chaosof99 said:

Now Trump wants to end all food safety regulation. This man is fucking insane. How can anybody vote for this lunatic?

That's a funny coincidence, considering that just the other day, his Trump Steakhouse in Vegas was shut down for a few days after getting pulled up on 51 different food safety violations. I wonder what prompted him to take that position, after learning a valuable lesson about the importance of food safety regulations?
  • Churba said:

That's a funny coincidence, considering that just the other day, his Trump Steakhouse in Vegas was shut down for a few days after getting pulled up on 51 different food safety violations.

Actually, that happened four years ago.
  • Daikun said:

Churba said:

That's a funny coincidence, considering that just the other day, his Trump Steakhouse in Vegas was shut down for a few days after getting pulled up on 51 different food safety violations.

Actually, that happened four years ago.
    Ah, caught short. Where I saw the claim was a recent article, so I assumed the violations were equally recent. Mea Culpa.
  • edited September 2016
    chaosof99 said:

Now Trump wants to end all food safety regulation. This man is fucking insane. How can anybody vote for this lunatic?

I'm OK with this, because science is broken and I think I would rather make a living selling artisinal raw milk cheese to hippie assholes.

Maybe naturopathic raw milk cheese.

And I'll also have an un-vaccination station, where concerned parents can remove the vaccines from their kids and thereby counteract their autism.

I hate people so much.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm OK with this, because science is broken and I think I would rather make a living selling artisinal raw milk cheese to hippie assholes.

Maybe naturopathic raw milk cheese.

I'll form a cult around artisinal living and bless your cheese as being of the highest spiritual standard.
  • Primary task for American citizens, convince other American citizens to vote for Hilary. That is all.

• Given Trumps unfavorables you don't even have to convince people to vote for Clinton, you just have to convince them to vote at all.
  • Greg said:

Given Trumps unfavorables you don't even have to convince people to vote for Clinton, you just have to convince them to vote at all.

Even with Trump unfavorables he's 1 point over Hillary in the latest polling in Florida.
  • Because Trump's unfavorables are with groups who disproportionately don't vote. There's more people who are against Trump but aren't voting than who are for Trump but not voting.
  • If that ends up being why a monster becomes the most powerful person, arguably in the free world. I quit. I just quit.
  • Naoza said:

If that ends up being why a monster becomes the most powerful person, arguably in the free world. I quit. I just quit.