This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• Yeah, I've noticed quite a few folks on here from the NYC area. Potential meet-ups perhaps?
    Your best bet is to just come to a NerdNYC event. I've been going to their board game nights for the past year and they're always a good time. Once every quarter, there is also an all day gaming event called Recess, which is awesome. Last January there was a 2-day recess, which I am hoping will be a new tradition. The next board game night is Friday, November 12th. website for details.
  • I'm Wolfin, a 20 year old electronics engineer-in-training from the Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada.
    Hobbies include downhill skateboarding (<- not me, but sooo awesome), hacking gadgets, gaming, anime.
    I'm a huge geek but I don't let it deny me from putting my body in danger - I believe it's okay to die doing something you love (of course, that doesn't stop me wearing tons of protective gear)

I'll be headed to either U-Victoria or UBC Okanagan in 1.5 semesters, where I'll end up with an Electronics Engineering degree.

Ask me anything? D:
  • Welcome, Wolfin. I also live in the Okanagan.
  • Welcome, Wolfin. I also live in the Okanagan.
    Woah, odd. This world is damn small.
  • edited October 2010
    Welcome. Love your icon. However, it will totally confuse me with someone else on the forums, even though it's there Twitter icon and not their forum icon.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Welcome. Love your icon. However, it will totally confuse me with someone else on the forums, even though it's there Twitter icon and not their forum icon.
    Thanks! It's temporary. I registered on my laptop which is devoid of pictures.
  • I'll be headed to either U-Victoria or UBC Okanagan in 1.5 semesters, where I'll end up with an Electronics Engineering degree.
    I am totally down with Victoria, it is the most English city I have ever been to, outside of England.
  • I am Colby. I am a high school aged punk with no money.
    I have varied geekeries (as they have been coined, apparently), including but not limited to:
    Pokemon
    Nippon Ichi Software Games
    Atlus RPGS
    Dragon Quest
    Learning About History (esp. Monarchs and Bisexuals)
    Doctor Who/ Torchwood
    Eddie Izzard
    Eating Questionable Sushi
    John Green's Novels
    Pronouncing eTcetera correctly
    Leonard Nimoy
    The First President of (FUCKING) Japan
    Akira, 21st Century Boys, Pluto, Black Jack, Genshiken, Sgt.Frog, Azumangah Daioh, Hetalia Axis Powers
    People Watching
    YouTube
    Asian Women
    Eureka (The show, and the word. Admittedly, the science of the show is inconsistent, but- hey, whatcha gonna do)
    Getting My Mother to Read Ender's Game and Yotsuba&!
  • Pokemon
    Nippon Ichi Software Games
    Eddie Izzard
    Genshiken
    I like you already.
  • Nippon Ichi Software Games
    Have you played ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman yet? My friend has it and says it's probably one of their greatest games to date.
  • I'm playing Soul Nomad right now. I have others- specifically, La Pucelle Tactics and Phantom Brave. As well as Phantom Brave: We meet again. I have not played any Disgaea games. I play RPGs almost exclusively. I have a skill point allocation fetish.
  • One post and I know you are awesome. Welcome!
  • I'm playing Soul Nomad right now. I have others- specifically, La Pucelle Tactics and Phantom Brave. As well as Phantom Brave: We meet again. I have not played any Disgaea games. I play RPGs almost exclusively. I have a skill point allocation fetish.
    Excellent, but your avatar is spilling out over the page, so if you could make it a little bit smaller, I would find it easier to read the first line of everything you say. Cheers, welcome to the forums.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah I was gonna ask to see if anyone noticed that.
    Post edited by colbyblogger on
  • Hi I'm Jack (that's all you'll get out of me). I'm 20 years old and I work at Zappos.com. I went to college for a year studying Biology, but financial concerns forced me to cut that out for now. I'm hoping to go back soon though. Like I said in the "How did you find Geeknights?" thread I first heard about this podcast after listening to Rym and Scott do a panel on Advance Wars at Otakon 2008, and just recently came back to listening to it since I work ten hours at night and need something to distract me from the soul-crushing amount of Ugg Boots people seem to order at a time, but now I'm rambling.
  • after listening to Rym and Scott do a panel on Advance Wars at Otakon 2008
    Wow. Otakon asked us to do that panel to fill a hole in their schedule at the last minute. We had nothing prepared, and even despite offering to run one or our many better panels, they demanded that one.

We completely half-assed it. ;^)
  • edited November 2010
    soul-crushing amount of Ugg Boots people seem to order at a time
    Ugh, I can imagine - "Oh, winter's coming, and these boots disintegrate when they hit water. But they loook SOOOOOOO GOOD! I better get like 20 pairs."
    Post edited by Wolfin on
  • soul-crushing amount of Ugg Boots people seem to order at a time
    Ugh, I can imagine - "Oh, winter's coming, and these boots disintegrate when they hit water. But they loook SOOOOOOO GOOD! I better get like 20 pairs."
    Pretty close, but if they ordered 20 pairs I wouldn't have to deal with them. As it stands the largest order of nothing but Uggs I've seen is 7 pairs, all kid's sizes. I can understand two, maybe three pairs in case you're not sure if their sizes will fit you properly, but for God's sake do you not know the child's shoe size or what?
  • soul-crushing amount of Ugg Boots people seem to order at a time
    Pretty close, but if they ordered 20 pairs I wouldn't have to deal with them. As it stands the largest order of nothing but Uggs I've seen is 7 pairs, all kid's sizes. I can understand two, maybe three pairs in case you're not sure if their sizes will fit you properly, but for God's sake do you not know the child's shoe size or what?
    It might be for some boutique.

• Pretty close, but if they ordered 20 pairs I wouldn't have to deal with them. As it stands the largest order of nothing but Uggs I've seen is 7 pairs, all kid's sizes. I can understand two, maybe three pairs in case you're not sure if their sizes will fit you properly, but for God's sake do you not know the child's shoe size or what?
    It might be for someone with too many kids .

• Pretty close, but if they ordered 20 pairs I wouldn't have to deal with them. As it stands the largest order of nothing but Uggs I've seen is 7 pairs, all kid's sizes. I can understand two, maybe three pairs in case you're not sure if their sizes will fit you properly, but for God's sake do you not know the child's shoe size or what?
    It might be forsomeone with too many kids.
    And too little sense. Stop buying goddamned Uggs for your brood, god damnit.
  • What is wrong with Uggs? They are warm and comfy.
  • And ugly as hell.
    ...and Uggly. It makes one's feet and lower calves look fatter and stumpy. It's one of those trends that even well known fashion designers and writers and more ask "WTF, America!"

But alas, my hypocrisy will show when I say Moonboots are awesome. They do the same wrong things, but are more practical for the winter.
    They are warm and comfy but mainly worn in the US as a fashion trend and not for the practicality.
  • It makes one's feet and lower calves look fatter and stumpy.
    I actually like big feet and calves in character design. (See: Brian Lee O'Malley.) Loose schoolgirl Socks, Clompy boots, leg warmers = Cute.
    I don't actually own any Uggs, but I have some Rocket Dog boots that look kind of similar.
  • oh man I cannot believe that people don't find the uggs-style boot look attractive. I cannot explain it but I feel that uggs and a skirt, yes, the most ludicrous and impractical of all outfits ever conceived by human thought, looks incredibly sexy.
  • edited November 2010
    I cannot explain it but I feel that uggs and a skirt, yes, the most ludicrous and impractical of all outfits ever conceived by human thought, looks incredibly sexy.
    I think it is also pretty cute. Also, I don't think it is that impractical. Both are comfortable.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I think it is also pretty cute. Also, I don't think it is that impractical. Both are comfortable.
    Skirts are very comfortable.
  • Hello,

I’m Laura. I’m 25 and live in Astoria. I work in digital marketing at a science fiction and fantasy publisher in Manhattan and as you might suspect, I read a lot in those genres. Beyond reading I enjoy anime, manga, sewing, and crocheting. I also play the ukulele…badly, but hey, practice makes perfect right? (Although at this point, I’ll be satisfied if I hit “barely tolerable”)