This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Why is Hannah Barbara "crappy"?
    They made poor choices on how to animate on a budget, and their writing was recycled -- save for Tom and Jerry, which I dislike but isn't bad.

*checks Wikiped to make sure there isn't an exception he's forgetting about*

Yeah, the only good stuff they made was co-produced by Cartoon Network, a superb studio.
  • edited February 2013
    Cartoon Network is a network. It might also be appropriate to call it a production company in terms of its work developing original series, but it's not a studio.

EDIT: Nevermind, they have a group called Cartoon Network Studios that is actually a studio. And incidentally responsible for everything good in the world.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited February 2013
    (BARBERA, I meant to write)

So, Greg, in your estimation, Hanna Barbera's been a shit factory for more than half a century?

There were limitations in the past, and sometimes animators made shortcuts. Is anime not guilty of these practices in the past as well? Even the exact practices you listed for Barbera? Or were all Anime series made before the 90s gold?
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • There were limitations in the past, and sometimes animators made shortcuts. Is anime not guilty of these practices in the past as well? Even the exact practices you listed for Barbera? Or were all anime series made before the 90s gold?
    (Why do people always respond the my posts with burning strawmen shaped like questions?)

In Japan, they cut corners in ways that didn't detract from the medium. Barbera's techniques left the screen still and dead for many shots. Tezuka took on this issue by using fewer frames but fully animating the ones he used. Dezaki re-used animation for emphasis. Both of these keep the viewer's attention much better than The Flintstones or Top Cat. And of course all Anime before the 90s weren't gold. The only trash I can name off the top of my head is Fist of the North Star (not a popular opinion, but mine nontheless), but that's because I have a severe deficiency of knowledge of pre-90s anime.
  • Is it a strawman if you're basically saying "Hanna Barbera was poor/unacceptable quality until 20 years ago." That implies to me that non-Japanese cartoons don't get animation/writing right, and that if we put anime and Hanna Barbera side-by-side, Anime does it better.

I don't know why I am not within bounds to assume this?

I'm thinking that you not only have little history with pre-90s anime, but pre-90s cartoons as well. I've watched a bit of pre 90s (pre 60s in rare cases) stuff from Japan and America, and while the old stuff definitely fails in certain aspects, I wouldn't call Hanna Barbera toons, Fist, or Speed Racer crappy. Not totally crappy. They still have things going for them.
  • I'm thinking that you not only have little history with pre-90s anime, but pre-90s cartoons as well.
    Seriously? Want to talk pre-90s cartoons, what's your favorite Van Buren cartoon? How about ComiColor? I always thought that Avery was better utilized under Schlesinger than Warner or Disney, but I'd be interested to see if you thought differently. What're your thoughts on P L Traver's comments regarding Disney's adaptation of her books?

Also, cartoons are anime. If you have history with one you have history with the other.
    Is it a strawman if you're basically saying "Hanna Barbera was poor/unacceptable quality until 20 years ago."
    I didn't say that. I said they were poor/unacceptable until Cartoon Network Studios helped them out. There were other things they made in the 90s that were also garbage.
    I've watched a bit of pre 90s (pre 60s in rare cases) stuff from Japan and America, and while the old stuff definitely fails in certain aspects, I wouldn't call Hanna Barbera toons, Fist, or Speed Racer crappy. Not totally crappy. They still have things going for them.
    What did they (except Speed Racer, which is bad but I like) have going for them? I'll give you that Wacky Races was cute but poorly executed and The Flintstones had some fun gags with the animal tech, but Quickdraw McGraw? The Jetsons? Pac Man? What did they have going for them?
  • "All cartoons are anime" Come on, dude. You know what I mean. ;)

What did all those cartoons have going for them? Being funny, being interesting, being something fun for kids. I mean, we can put studios like HB over the coals in retrospect, but for a kid experiencing that stuff, they were enjoying it. Putting your adult or animation expertise glasses on makes it a cold dissection, but there was a lot of personality and charm to that corpse.
  • Kid Greg said that they were boring and should've been more like Kimba. Kid Greg said that no one wants to watch the hetero-normative family (those words exactly) even if they are in the Stone Age or the future. Kid Greg was weird like that.
  • I just kind of marathoned Kids on the Slope.
    It was an awesome ride and I really didn't want it to end, it kind of made remember of how much fun I had in band while I was in high school.
    Good times guys, good times!
    Wait, this is Watanabe directing and Yoko Kanno composing a show about a high school band.

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I HEAR ABOUT THIS SOONER
  • Kid Greg said that they were boring and should've been more like Kimba. Kid Greg said that no one wants to watch the hetero-normative family (those words exactly) even if they are in the Stone Age or the future. Kid Greg was weird like that.
    I kinda wish more kids were like Kid Greg than there are. I'd actually like to hear more from Kid Greg and his stories told in the third person.
  • I watched the Utena movie (after watching the series). Other than some amusing bits, it wasn't very interesting. It basically screamed “Metaphor!” and then ran off the rails.
  • Gotta four day weekend coming up, time to marathon Touch.
  • [Star Wars cartoon youtube]
    "The creator of this video has made it not available in your country" Well then.
  • I watched the Utena movie (after watching the series). Other than some amusing bits, it wasn't very interesting. It basically screamed “Metaphor!” and then ran off the rails.
    But the great thing is that it ran off the rails in the most interesting way.

• We signed up for Crunchyroll on our XBOX and we've watched 3 episodes of Polar Bear Cafe. My 3 year old loves it. She thinks it's hilarious that the animals have jobs and are talking, and doesn't care at all that she doesn't understand what they're saying nor can she read the subtitles.

My 14 year old and I don't get it. Is the point of the show that it's absurd but mundane, or is there more coming?
  • We signed up for Crunchyroll on our XBOX and we've watched 3 episodes of Polar Bear Cafe. My 3 year old loves it. She thinks it's hilarious that the animals have jobs and are talking, and doesn't care at all that she doesn't understand what they're saying nor can she read the subtitles.

My 14 year old and I don't get it. Is the point of the show that it's absurd but mundane, or is there more coming?
    If you don't get it in episode 1, you aren't going to get it.
  • Well, I mean, I'm entertained by it, but I'm not sure if I'm missing some subtext. The animals are funny. The show is absurd. If there's some deeper message, though, I'm not hip.
  • Polar Bear Cafe
    Thank you for this.
  • If only crunchyroll on 360 didn't require live gold...
  • edited February 2013
    If only crunchyroll on 360 didn't require live gold...
    PS3 Crunchyroll app can be used without Playstation Plus

Edit: As well as any other streaming service.
    Post edited by usrName on
  • We already subscribe to gold anyway. It's $5/month and that's without trying especially hard for discounts. I can see how for college students that might be prohibitive I guess. Crunchy roll itself has sort of a boutique price for premium streaming.
  • I finally watched the first ep of Polar Bear Cafe yesterday. It was cute, and very funny. I was confused about what audience it's for. Would kids be interested in the job hunting process?

I'm also wondering how a show with this concept has so many episodes.
  • I tried watching Polar Bear Cafe when it started and it didn't click with me. Might be time to try again before writing it off completely.
  • I think Polar Bear Cafe might just be for me.
  • I have crunchyroll on all my devices (Nexus, Kindle, Roku, PS3, 360, PC) but I will be letting my gold account expire.
  • I sold my PS3 after 6 weeks at a substantial loss because I just never turned it on after the second week of owning it and I decided I wanted a laptop to write on.
  • What did you get? $100? I'm guessing you sold it to Gamestop?
  • I did the PS3 subscription and have no regrets. $5 a month gets me over $100 worth of free games.
  • I did the PS3 subscription and have no regrets. $5 a month gets me over $100 worth of free games.
    But you can only play them while your account is active right?
  • Currently watching Saint Seiya Omega, not as good as "Lost Cavas" but it gets the job done.