This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• edited December 2010
    So, if there is one distinction that I think produces consistantly the most interesting and entertaining anime today, it would be all the stuff that has ever aired on noitaminA. This year, we got two great shows: The Tatami Galaxy and Princess Jellyfish that both aired on noitaminA. They may be the best shows of the year. However, I am extreamly apprehensive about the next show that will air on noitaminA. It's called Fractale. The reason that I am worried that this show will break the Pixar-esque streak of great and entertaining works of art is that the guy who is going to direct this thing is Yutaka Yamamoto, the dude who was kicked off of directing Lucky Star and directed all of Kannagi. This show could turn out to be like those (i.e. totally average; stupidly popular) or like Haibane Renmei (i.e. one of my favorite anime ever). Funimation's probably going to stream it, I'll watch at least the first episode.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Anyway, right now I'm watching Ookiku Furikabutte, a.ka. Big Windup. This anime is pretty weird. Despite on the surface taking very long to wrap up a game, it actually stays interesting and doesn't drag at all. It's hit a very good balance there, showcasing the minutia of baseball without getting boring. Of course it helps that it only focuses on the important games.
    It goes at the exact speed of a real baseball game, thus you spend episodes and episodes watching each of the Nishiura nine get up to bat. I was really addicted to this show, in part because it was kind of gay. Gaysball!
    Also, you should watch the movie Battery. I haven't see it, but I read the novels.
    So, if there is one distinction that I think produces consistantly the most interesting and entertaining anime today, it would be all the stuff that has ever aired on noitaminA.
    True dat. Noitamina is my go to block for good anime.
  • The second is that the dub removes anextremelycritical plot point and theme for the sake of convenience. A large part of the show is the language barrier between the Japanese and English speakers. It's often in the show that a character won't be able to understand another character because of this. Instead, the dub script makes up excuses, like Koyuki not being able to understand Eddie and Ryusuke when they're talking in the bar "because it's too loud" or some bullshit when it's really because they're speaking English.
    I was wondering how they were gonna handle that in the dub. I only saw the sub when it was coming out, and when I heard it was to be dubbed I couldn't grasp how it would still make sense with all those scenes that portrayed a language barrier.
  • I really wish I could be able to recommend that dub, because everything else about it is pretty well done and it makes the show more accessible to people who can't get over the Engrish, but changing a major plot point just ruins it.
  • I really wish I could be able to recommend that dub, because everything else about it is pretty well done and it makes the show more accessible to people who can't get over the Engrish, but changing a major plot point just ruins it.
    I, on the other hand, never noticed that anything was missing from the show and think that there is sufficiently excellent drama and characterization in the dub. I think that if you didn't know anything was missing, you wouldn't notice it. Also, Chiba's voice acting/rapping never struck me as anything less than absolutly fitting to the character and very good. I think that if one thinks that he is trying to imitate Rage Against the Machine, then it works just fine. Even if I, as a guy who dosn't listen to rap at all, am wrong about the quality of his vocal performances, I think that him being a little bit weaker than the rest adds to his characrerization. Chiba is kind of the odd man out in the bad and that leads to some interesting drama in the ending of the show.
  • edited December 2010
    I think that if you didn't know anything was missing, you wouldn't notice it.
    I don't care. Just because you didn't know any better doesn't mean that the story isn't better with the entire plot intact. At least read the manga if you can't get over the Engrish voices.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I think that if you didn't know anything was missing, you wouldn't notice it.
    I don't care. Just because you didn't know any better doesn't mean that the story isn't better with the entire plot intact. At least read the manga if you can't get over the Engrish voices.
    All I know is this: I watched the show dubbed. I loved it. One of my favorites. Nearly cried. I didn't know that that plot point was missing until I read it on this thread. That is all.
    All I know is this: I watched the show dubbed. I loved it. One of my favorites. Nearly cried. I didn't know that that plot point was missing until I read it on this thread. That is all.
    A lot of people watched Robotech and loved it. Now that we know better, we watch the original Macross instead.
    A lot of people watched Robotech and loved it. Now that we know better, we watch the original Macross instead.
    As much as I hate to equate myself with Macross hating Robotech lovers, I guess it's just my preference...

In more widely accepted news, Princess Jellyfish is really really great.
  • edited December 2010
    Also, you should watch the movie Battery. I haven't see it, but I read the novels.
    If that were available in a language I could understand. I'm assuming you've read the novels in japanese. I see that D-Addicts has the drama series, but apparently only the raws.

As for things being "gay", I think that has a lot to do with Fujoshi interpreting a whole lot into things. This commonly happens with sports series, confusing the romanticism of sports victories and the comradeship necessary in such teamsports with romance :X
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited December 2010
    As for things being "gay", I think that has a lot to do with Fujoshi interpreting a whole lot into things. This commonly happens with sports series, confusing the romanticism of sports victories and the comradeship necessary in such teamsports with romance :X
    It's because if sexy making-out was combined with the feelings of camaraderie and equality that you get between teammates and brothers-in-arms, it would be the best romance ever.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited December 2010
    I like Prince Jellyfish if only because of the "King of the North Pole" Reference :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited December 2010
    I don't know, I never was able to get past the 5th episode or so and that whole scene with the pitcher sobbing and devoting himself to his catcher "I'll always be your pitcher!"

I don't know, maybe it was the way it was phrased in the translation but, I couldn't help think "You could cut to a yaoi scene right now and I would think that it's part of the real story."
    Post edited by zehaeva on
  • edited December 2010
    Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is the best show this season, but the last 3 minutes of it is just "OMG, WTF, Why would you do that Gainax?!"

Also, next season looks like a whole lot of crap and little else. Any recommendations?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Also, next season looks like a whole lot of crap and little else. Any recommendations?
    Well, there's Woverine coming out. Also noitaminA has an offering next season, but as I have posted before, I'm pretty apprehensive about it.
  • Patlabor. I've watched a bunch of it before, but now I'm watching all of it, even parts I already watched.
  • Patlabor. I've watched a bunch of it before, but now I'm watching all of it, even parts I already watched.
    I own all of this sometime I will have to watch it actually ^_^
    I own all of this sometime I will have to watch it actually ^_^
    How much all of this? There are two OAVs, 47 TV episodes, and three movies. I'm watching in this order:

OVA 1 - TV - OVA2 - Moviex3
  • I've got one of the movies on BD. Or maybe it's an OVA. I'm not sure actually. Haven't seen it yet. Do I have to watch the TV series before watching a movie or OVA?
  • edited December 2010
    I've got one of the movies on BD. Or maybe it's an OVA. I'm not sure actually. Haven't seen it yet. Do I have to watch the TV series before watching a movie or OVA?
    According to ANN, the TV series is an alternate retelling of the first OAV. The second OAV is a direct sequel of the TV series.

The movies all stand alone as great anime movies of all-time. However, the movies will be much more entertaining if you know the characters. There isn't a lot of character introduction in the movies because it's assumed you know who they are. You don't need to know who they are for the movie to be awesome, but you will have a better connection if you are familiar with them.

Overally it's a really accessible series. You can start with anything except the second OAV.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think I have everything but one movie.
  • Ok, I checked. I have the first movie. Do I pirate the OVA or TV series to enjoy the movie to it's fullest?
  • Ok, I checked. I have the first movie. Do I pirate the OVA or TV series to enjoy the movie to it's fullest?
    Nah, just watch the movie. It's Mamoru Oshii, can't lose.
  • edited December 2010
    Ok, I checked. I have the first movie. Do I pirate the OVA or TV series to enjoy the movie to it's fullest?
    Nah, just watch the movie. It's Mamoru Oshii, can't lose.
    To get a good introduction to the characters, watch the first OVA series, as those were directed by Oshii. They also totally expensive because they are compleatly out of print, so pirate away.

P.S. If you don't like typical Oshii, you will not enjoy the second movie. The first is perfectly inoffensive.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited December 2010
    I'll pirate the OVA then. They are by the way in fact not out of print and being currently rerelased on Bluray, with the 2nd OVA series just having a box set'd release. But those are Japanese releases with crazy Japanese prices, so I'll at the very least pirate it to see if it's worth my money or not (as I already have the movie, which is what I want to see, legit).

http://www.animesachi.com/visitor/syouhin.php?sid=1115&kind=DVD

This is the entire OVA on BD for 10000yen. Which is decent, I guess.
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003E0L1XS/kotonedo-22/ref=nosim
    Post edited by Aria on
  • They are by the way in fact not out of print and being currently rerelased on Bluray,
    I am speaking of the English release of the first OVA series. It goes for $237 on Amazon nowadays. The TV series on the other hand, can be had for about $30. <==== Worth every penny.
  • edited December 2010
    Watching FLCL, and I don't know if I'll like it... It's annoyingly hyper-stylized and I have a feeling it's supposed to be funny, but I'd put it below the worst sitcoms on TV...
    Edit: Done episode 1 and I fear for people who like this and are over the age of 10...
    Post edited by thehollow89 on
  • Far be it for me to say people who don't like things 'don't get it', but if that's your opinion on FLCL then you don't fucking get it.
  • Far be it for me to say people who don't like things 'don't get it', but if that's your opinion on FLCL then you don't fucking get it.
    Yeah, I wanted to say this earlier, but I didn't know how to say it without sounding like a douche.
  • edited December 2010
    Update: I was being a little harsh earlier. I'm on episode 4 and I'm starting to enjoy it. I get that most of the show is a metaphor for sex and the transition to adulthood. I just really don't care for over-the-top anime style. To me, it comes off as rather childish. I appreciate the show and the messages it makes. I just really don't care for the wrapper it's in.

Edit: Also, someone can easily get the message of something and still dislike it.
    Post edited by thehollow89 on