This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Baccano!

But seriously, if he's seen Fullmetal Alchemist, then he would probably like Eyeshield 21 (from what I hear anyway), or Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagaan. TTGL is my personal choice; every little boy needs to be taught the power of Manly Spirit.

EDIT: Eyeshield is subs-only. Show him TTGL.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Nothing wrong with rewatching something great over and over again. I won't tell you how many times I watched several Disney movies over and over when I was his age.

Samurai 7 might be a possibility.
  • TTGL has a lot of very crude sexual humor, so that may be not appropriate. I reccomend Big Windup. It's a baseball show. It's pretty good.
  • edited February 2011
    TTGL was designed as a shonen show. He just watched FMA, which starts with a boy being dismembered while trying to resurrect his dead mother and watching some otherworld force tear his little brother apart. The first scene has blood everywhere and a shoggoth thing.

He can handle TTGL if he handled FMA. He's got Manly Spirit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • He's got Manly Spirit.
    Why is he not watching Fist of the North star?
  • Subtitles. The kid is 8; make it easy on him.
  • edited February 2011
    Eyeshield 21 is very awesome. Strange that there isn't a dubbed version, you'd think Americans would be all over a football-themed cartoon.

Yakitate! Japan would be a great choice too, but it is also sub-only.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2011
    I would recommend Giant Robo: The Day Stood Still
    Man, I need to re-watch it, that anime was awesome!

Also, if he gots the manly spirit within then he should watch these two:
    Shin Mazinger Z

and Kotetsu Shin Jeeg

I would recommend Getter Robo, but a kid can't handle the Getter Rays. Unless, the kid is made of pure awesome.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Or Mazinkaiser. Introduce him to the joys of Croco-Diver A1.
  • I would not suggest watching the anime for Eyeshield 21, but that's just because I am very hard on the show for the major dip in animation quality.
  • TTGL has a lot of very crude sexual humor, so that may be not appropriate. I reccomend Big Windup. It's a baseball show. It's pretty good.
    Big Windup is a good one, but I'm not sure an 8-year-old will really appreciate a game taking 6-12 epiodes to resolved :X

That being said, I think sports shows are a good idea. Eyeshield 21 is decent at first, but after a number of episodes the content quality really dips since they go into fillers and stretch things out eternally since they were afraid of catching up with the manga. I don't remember how many though, could be as many as 50.

The problem I'm having with Clockian's question is that it is unlikely that his little brother is going to watch anime subbed, and I know very little about what shows have been dubbed and all, and what shows didn't get ruined by it. I did hear good things about the Hajime no Ippo dub though, and it's an excellent series in its own right, if a little long (then again, FMA was also 51 episodes). If a show about professionally punching each other in the face is appropriate for him is of course your own call.
  • What anime should I show him that is awesome, but an 8 year old would still understand?
    Black Lagoon.
    Black Lagoon isn't for little kids, you monster.
  • What anime should I show him that is awesome, but an 8 year old would still understand?
    Black Lagoon.
    Neither is FMA really.
    Black Lagoon.
    yhat, my Canadian friend, is sarcasm green, sometimes also used as "I'm being facetious" green. Get to know it! Learn to love it!
  • edited February 2011
    Slayers is really good for kids, because it has a good mix of action and comedy. Scrapped Princess might work. Dennou Coil is kids in elementary school with crazy computer hijinks. You're Under Arrest has fun police drama, and I watched it when I was little. Seirei no Moribito? Big O and Batman! Gundam shows! Escaflowne? Kaleido star and Princess Tutu. Shonen Jump shows (he's straight in that age demographic.)

I also second Ro's recommendation of Avatar.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Little kids should watch Sailor Moon like I did as a little kid.
  • Slayers is really good for kids, because it has a good mix of action and comedy
    I was thinking of suggesting that too. Also agreed on Escaflowne, Batman: The Animated Series, and Justice League.
  • Little kids should watch Sailor Moon like I did as a little kid.
    Little kids should watch Space Adventure Cobra like I did as a little kid, and then Magical Princess Minky Momo; just like I did as a little kid.
    Really guys, Magical Princess Minky Momo was a really good show.
  • I watched Sailor Moon obsessively in the days before I knew was anime was when it would occasionally come on YTV early in the morning. That was my beginning down the dark path into anime nerd world, weeabooery and being a big flamer.

I have since mostly rehabilitated.

Sailor Jupiter is still my favorite.
  • edited February 2011
    I watched Sailor Moon obsessively in the days before I knew was anime was when it would occasionally come on YTV early in the morning. That was my beginning down the dark path into anime nerd world, weeabooery and being a big flamer.

I have since mostly rehabilitated.

Sailor Jupiter is still my favorite.
    WHAAAAAAT!?
    Sailor Mercury is totally better.

EDIT: Also, I very strongly second the recommendation of Slayers.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited February 2011
    Sailor Mercury is totally better.
    I agree. Nerd girls > all.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Sailor Mercury is totally better.
    I agree. Nerd girls > all.
    Ditto!
  • You're all fucking dead to me if you like Sailor Mercury.
  • You're all fucking dead to me if you like Sailor Mercury.
    I would say that for me were the glasses :P
  • Sailor Jupiter didn't take any shit and she was so hot and statuesque.
  • I liked both Jupiter and Mercury. So sue me.
  • Sailor Neptune. She's the only one who matters.
  • edited February 2011
    Sailor Neptune. She's the only one who matters.
    She's pretty, but loses a few points because she's not into dudes.

Edit: Only because I happen to be a dude.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Other than requiring it through digital means, I really wish they would rerelease the entire series. I've barely been exposed to the Sailor Moon S. :(