This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Just finished Black Lagoon, other then a few weak eps and some eps featuring crazy children serial killers this show was banging. The last arch involving a Russian/Yakuza gang war ended on really high mark, causing me to crave more. Only disappointing thing is I thought Second Barrage was another season and not the second half of the eps I watched.. darn it. Anyhow, I really enjoyed this action piece.
  • Since you are craving more, there is more. 3 episodes of OVAs already out entitled "Roberta's Blood Trail", and with 2 more to come.
  • Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka. Im only on the second episode. It is a little fan servicey but it was really funny.
  • The main character is a high school teenage guy. Through various mishaps he is turned into a zombie masou shoujo.
  • some eps featuring crazy children serial killers
    When I first saw these episodes I watched them late at night right before bed. I actually had a nightmare as a result of these episodes.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm watching El-Hazard: The Magnificent World, the original OVA.
    So far, I must say it starts off really well. The way Jinnai falls in with the Bugrom is just brilliant - I can see why an AMV was made about it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm watching El-Hazard: The Magnificent World, the original OVA.
    Cat armor.
  • I just stared to watch Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? too. We watched it in my anime club. I thought it was going to to be stupid, and I guess it was, but it was really entertaining and oddly charming in certain ways.

I've also been watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica. Which thinking about it I can't say how I feel about it. I'm pretty invested in the show and I do really want to see where it is going. I just can't tell if it is merely just okay, or if it is really good. I'll have to see how I feel when it's over. If anything though this show is really pretty and is worth checking for some amazing backgrounds and at points some really trippy animation.

I also checked out Sherlock Hound on ANN as it seemed like a safe bet to watch at work while I'm on lunch (it's a pretty open office). It was pretty cute and very Miyazaki. I've been on a Sherlock Holmes kick for a while, so I'll probably watch it all.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm watching El-Hazard: The Magnificent World, the original OVA.
    Cat armor.
    How do they pay the cat? It doesn't seem to be a slave, because it is said that it is the cat's job and it gets fired when it turns out that Fatora is a douchebag.
    The Jinnai AMV is totally awesome mostly because it's just so appropriate to the character, and Jinnai is the best character. Fujisawa-sensei comes close too, though.

The best thing about this show is how everything pieces together pretty much perfectly, and pretty much everything works out to be relevant. Indeed, many things in the show could have been predicted given enough thought.
    Examples of the things that were nice to see falling into place:
    • Fatora's personality was totally predictable based on Alielle's interests, though I did not see it coming.
    • Every character having a power, and each power being interesting and plot-relevant, and most importantly, used intelligently. For example, I was thinking that at the start of the dinner table scene that Nanami ought to oust Galus as being of the Phantom Tribe, and she did exactly that.
    • I might be overreaching on this, but Ifurita's ability to acquire weapons used upon her seems to have been precisely what gave her humanity; she merely acquired Makoto's "weapons" of compassion and empathy, and her power is why she could see his memories when he could see hers.
    • The ending. I didn't see it coming because, indeed, there wasn't really enough warning, but it was quite well executed and it did make me cry.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I just watched the series end last week and it made me cry too.
  • Did anyone ever finish Night Raid from a few seasons ago? Does anyone even remember it?
  • Recently saw The Cat Returns and Whisper of the Heart. I enjoyed both quite a bit, though they are of course completely different.
    The Cat Returns was good, light-hearted fun, and despite the excess of crazy it didn't really stretch my suspension of disbelief. Baron Humbert von Gikkingen is a very awesome character indeed.
    Whisper of the Heart was touching, but I felt it was a little slow at times. I think it would have worked better if I was in the right situation / mood for it.

I guess The Cat Returns is meant to be the story that Shizuku wrote.
  • I finally got around to watching Macross Plus.

HOLY SHIT.
  • I finally got around to watching Macross Plus.
    Can you feel the transient facts?
  • edited March 2011
    I finally got around to watching Macross Plus.
    Can you feel the transient facts?
    I'm really free
    to fly high
    into space.

Seriously, Yoko Kanno is incredible.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Crunchy Roll has subbed Digimon. There goes my next month.
  • Crunchy Roll has subbed Digimon. There goes my next month.
    Yes...Fall under the umbrella of awesome.
    Although honestly, nostalgia talking, I've tried the subs, I really do like the dub better.
  • Although honestly, nostalgia talking, I've tried the subs, I really do like the dub better
    I haven't seen enough of the subs to make any sort of decision yet, I will say though that a lot of the voices are seriously less annoying in the sub. Shame they only have Digimon Adventure Zero 2 up at the moment, here's hoping for a Tamers release.
  • Negima! Magister Negi Magi is totally all moe! If you like moe with no sexual jokes as far as I've seen in the first 2 episodes, along with horrible dub voice acting, where the main character sounds like there is something constantly in his butt, this is for you. Otherwise, it is like all the other new anime out there, it is all harems and debauchery.
  • If you like moe with no sexual jokes as far as I've seen in the first 2 episodes
    From what I understand, Negima is all about etchi humor.
  • Soul Eater was good until the end, and then it went all MLP on me... WTF!?!?!

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne needed less rape. I do like what they did with the time line. Not so much into force feeding someone their father's "white blood" but he/she deserved it.

Sacred Blacksmith and Heroic Age are not good at all.

Darker then Black is watchable.
  • I just finished rewatching Trigun. Still good!
  • If you like moe
    People...like moe?
  • From what I understand, Negima is all about etchi humor
    For the beginning it was like that but it sort of switched to shonen action halfway through.
  • If you like moe
    People...like moe?
    If you don't like it, it won't be moe, naturally.
  • From what I understand, Negima is all about etchi humor
    For the beginning it was like that but it sort of switched to shonen action halfway through.
    If I recall, Akamatsu was being forced to make something that seemed similar to Love Hina, but once Negima started gaining popularity, he said "fooled you! It's actually shonen because I didn't want to write Love Hina again!"

I've been watching Mahou Shojo Madoka Magica, and it's really really good. However, its subject matter is horrific and nightmare-inducing, and about half the plot twists can be predicted from the premise of "magical girls show meets Bokurano."
  • I've been watching Mahou Shojo Madoka Magica, and it's really really good. However, its subject matter is horrific and nightmare-inducing, and about half the plot twists can be predicted from the premise of "magical girls show meets Bokurano."
    Oh man, I really want to watch this.
  • Heroic Age
    I was kinda hoping this was good.
  • Got my boxset of Genshiken yesterday, so that's that.
  • Saw Summer Wars, which would have been good if it wasn't preceded by Laputa and followed by Redline. A solid show none the less. Probably didn't benefit as much from being on a cinema screen as the others either.

Seeing Laputa again was a surprise, it's really.. really good.

Redline is a lot of what I used to love about anime summed up into a single film.