This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• The 6th One Piece movie is directed by Mamoru Hosoda and is actually quite good. Didn't know he directed the first Digimon movie too. I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch that.
  • edited May 2011
    The 6th One Piece movie is directed by Mamoru Hosoda and is actually quite good. Didn't know he directed the first Digimon movie too. I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch that.
    Is that the one with the arrows and a bunch of shadows? If so, yeah that was a pretty good movie :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Is that the one with the arrows and a bunch of shadows? If so, yeah that was a pretty good movie :P
    That's the one!
  • The original OVA of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are surprisingly awesome.
    Lift this fridge up, one punch.
    Lift this fridge up, one punch.
    Fuck them for making me like that fucking dog.
    Also, I'm watching Gurran Lagan. I appreciate the silliness of the show, and I get a slightly Slayers-ish feel from the comedy. If I was maybe 14 years old, I'd find this show epic. I'll probably finish watching it since it doesn't require my full attention.
  • If I was maybe 14 years old, I'd find this show epic.
    If you don't find the show at least a little epic by the end I think you can be considered clinically dead.
  • Is that the one with the arrows and a bunch of shadows? If so, yeah that was a pretty good movie :P
    That's the one!
    Dude, that movie suprised me so much, it is very psycological and made me think a lot about the characters' inner selves. But then I watch the anime and I was like "meh", but then again it was the filler part of the anime :O
  • edited May 2011
    If I was maybe 14 years old, I'd find this show epic.
    If you don't find the show at least a little epic by the end I think you can be considered clinically dead.
    Well, it's certainly purple levels of over the top so far. I've just finished episode 6 or 7 (the hot-tub one). I'm not sure it will hit Epic levels yet, but I could see it getting near Combustible Campus Guardess. Maybe.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Just rewatched Totoro. Just such an amazing movie. Anybody who hasn't seen it yet, go out and watch it now!
    Agreed.

And the Disney release is far superior to the Fox Searchlight, which hopefully one wouldn't stumble upon these days anyway.
  • I'm not sure it will hit Epic levels yet
  • edited May 2011
    Started actually watching JoJo, based on the above. So awesome.
    If I was maybe 14 years old, I'd find this show epic.
    Just you wait. Just you fucking wait.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2011
    I watched the first two episodes of FLCL tonight. Everything is so wild and metaphorical that the it could almost be called impressionistic. What's more, it somehow manages to reveal the meaning of those metaphors to me at the most dramatic moments possible, so that the blinding realization happens at the exact same time as a poignant closing scene or a giant robot fight. I really can't tell if it's brilliant storytelling or if I'm just crazy, but either way I'm loving it.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited May 2011
    Ah, the delight and magic of seeing FLCL for the first time. Lucky man.

Although, I can't my enjoyment of the show has diminished much over the 30 or so times I've watched it ^_~
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2011
    I remembered that Scott is all about the Leijiverse, so I started Galaxy Express 999. It is fantastic. The whole series is up on Funimation's website.

Also, Maetel is actually a really scary individual.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Also, Maetel is actually a really scary individual.
    Oh, you don't know the half of it. ;^)
    I remembered that Scott is all about the Leijiverse, so I started Galaxy Express 999. It is fantastic.
    Space melodrama? Up your alley? Who would have thought?
  • I watched the first two episodes of FLCL tonight.
    I cannot physically watch that show. The first time I put it on I broke at the huge iron, 2 minutes in. And then it let off steam. I would die watching past that.
  • Started Princess Jellyfish last night. SO GOOD! Watched six of the eleven episodes.
  • Started Princess Jellyfish last night. SO GOOD! Watched six of the eleven episodes.
    I totally loved that show. I would stay up till midnight on Wednesday waiting for new episodes to be put up. That's how much I loved it.
    It has no great ending sadly. Must get a second season.
  • It's so cute! And the side characters are so quirky and silly!
  • Hmm.. might see a few of the episodes to see how it compares to the manga.
  • Finished up watching Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (Saint Knight Story in an Alternate World) it's by the same creator responsible for Tenchi Muyo and all of it's spin off's. The lead, Kenchi is the half brother of Tenchi who is sent to an alternate world. It's implied that Kenchi was trained by Yosho and probably Tenchi as well. The harem element is big part of the series, which I was never a fan but also wasn't bothered by either. The harem gimmick does get annoying though when by the end of the series the entire campus becomes enamored with Kenchi. Majority of the story is set on a campus, which is a school that trains mecha pilots. Overall the story was okay. The music opening song is catchy and has that old 90's anime groove to it. The rest of the series music is forgettable. Animation overall was good.
  • The side characters are NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS. And some people on the internet hate their "SINGLE WOMEN ONLY, WE NO GET NO BOYFRIEND EVER" stance in live.
  • I've been trying to think of something to compare Princess Jellyfish too. The best I've come up with is that it's a completely reversed Ouran High School Host Club.
  • I've been trying to think of something to compare Princess Jellyfish too. The best I've come up with is that it's a completely reversed Ouran High School Host Club.
    It's a nice version of Genshiken, just like how Genshiken is a nice version of Welcome to the NHK.
  • I like the opening of Princess Jellyfish, specially the part where Bamba recreates a scene from "Emperor from The North Pole"
  • Sgt. Frog is really funny.

I've also watched a lot of Eyeshield 21 with my roommate, and casually watched some others shows he's been watching. Most of them are decent, not something I would watch on my own, but he's watching it occasionally when I have nothing else to do.
  • edited May 2011
    I like the opening of Princess Jellyfish, specially the part where Bamba recreates a scene from "Emperor from The North Pole"
    StarWars parody is the best one of the bunch.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I like the opening of Princess Jellyfish, specially the part where Bamba recreates a scene from "Emperor from The North Pole"
    StarWars parody is the best one of the bunch.
    I liked the Singing in the Rain and The Graduate ones.