This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Sorry to reiterate this, but yeah, Tatami Galaxy is a MUST watch, for anime or non-anime fans alike. In fact, if you like early 20th century Japanese literature, the narrative style of the show will fit that taste very closely. I liked it so much I watched it twice, back to back.
    I would like to watch it again. It speaks to my age group profoundly, but I also think anyone can get something profound out of the narrative. Anyone old enough to have had at least that first transformative event of their life. The animation is beautiful, done by studio MadHouse, and Masaaki Yuasa is a fairly exciting director to watch going forward. He also did the excellent Kaiba. It's good to see people like Yuasa, Akiyuki Shinbo, and to a lesser extent Takahiro Omori attempting to drive the medium into the future where most others are milking the Moe cash cow.
  • @Gundampilotspaz True, true. I'd love try and rewatch Kaiba, but for some reason one of fansub episodes (I think it was ep. 8) had some really weird video issues and I couldn't watch it on my computer. So, I waited to see if a different version would be released, but (at least to my knowledge) none had, so I moved to other things. But, if I can find a good version of that one episode, I'd love to get back on it and actually finish watching. So, don't spoil it for me! ;)
  • Watched Straight Jackets on Netflix. I thought it was pretty good, though the resolution at the end felt a little disappointing. I've been watching Cowboy Beebop (think I'm on Disk 4). I noticed the Cowboy Beebop movie will be removed from Netflix on the 24th, so I hurried and watched that the other night. I liked that one! Awesome characters in Cowboy Beebop. The characters I keep wanting to see more of are Ed and Ein (yes, the dog). I find their scenes enjoyable and they are usually the transitioning scenes.

I'm liking Cowboy Beebop, but I do think Trigun is still my favorite.
  • The characters I keep wanting to see more of are Ed and Ein (yes, the dog).
    Everyone wants more Ein, he's the best character, like Appa in Avatar.
  • The characters I keep wanting to see more of are Ed and Ein (yes, the dog). I find their scenes enjoyable and they are usually the transitioning scenes.
    You say you're on Disk 4. You may or may not have seen Mushroom Samba yet. If not, get ready to have ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.
  • Mushroom Hunting is my favorite song from the series, barring Tank! and Diggin'.
  • Mushroom Hunting is my favorite song from the series, barring Tank! and Diggin'.
    I'm more of a fan of Fantasiie Sign, Wo Qui Non Coin, What Planet Is This, and Call Me Call Me.
  • @bodtchboy I'll admit I haven't seen Trigun, but I dare say you're gonna like the Cowboy Bebop final episode WAY better.

And count me as one more vote for moar Ein!
  • I'll admit I haven't seen Trigun, but I dare say you're gonna like the Cowboy Bebop final episode WAY better.
    The last disk has 4 very great episodes.
  • Since I'm only about half way through the series, perhaps I have spoken too soon about Cowboy Bebop. I should have waited until I'm finished with the whole series before passing final judgement.

While we're on it, I have a question about the rock monster episode: (the one with the moral of the story being, don't leave things in the fridge. Very Clever!) So, was it just more of a story/tall tale episode, or was it something that really happened to the characters and somehow they all got better?
  • I first watched Cowboy Bebop after stumbling into the very last 15 minutes on Adult Swim. I don't recommend watching it in that order, but it was actually kinda awesome putting the pieces together that way.
  • So, was it just more of a story/tall tale episode, or was it something that really happened to the characters and somehow they all got better?
    I'd say a bit of both. It was an episode that had a serious overtone, but with underlying humor, imo. Damn Rock Lobsters.
  • That's one of my favorite episodes. Steven Blum's voice acting when he starts talking about the fridge is some of the best voice acting I've ever heard.
  • The Stein's Gate anime just got pretty awesome. I really wich I had some local friends enjoying this.
  • Tatami Galaxy is a MUST watch, for [...] non-anime fans
    FUCK NO.
  • edited June 2011
    Tatami Galaxy is a MUST watch, for [...] artsy non-anime fans
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Tatami Galaxy is a MUST watch, for [...] non-anime fans
    FUCK NO.
    Lets just say everyone SHOULD watch it, but very few non-animation fans will have the patience to sit through the entire thing.
  • edited June 2011
    That is an vastly smaller group than just non-anime fans, and even then it's not a fucking must. Hell, if they're artsy non-anime fans, they're likely non-anime fans with a reason (though likely as retarded as stupid anime fans).
    But, if I can find a good version of that one episode, I'd love to get back on it and actually finish watching. So, don't spoil it for me! ;)
    There's nothing wrong with the episode. Use a non-shit player and if it's still bad, upgrade from your Commodore 64.

EDIT:
    but very few non-animation fans will have the patience to sit through the entire thing.
    Hence the FUCK NO. You first show them something to make them anime fans, THEN you can slide them towards Tatami Galaxy.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • That is an vastly smaller group than just non-anime fans, and even then it's not a fucking must. Hell, if they're artsy non-anime fans, they're likely non-anime fans with a reason (though likely as retarded as stupid anime fans).
    Are you just anti-Tatami Galaxy... or do you just not think it has a wide appeal?
  • Team Rocket has jetpacks now! This new Pokerap is shit too.
  • edited June 2011
    Team Rocket has jetpacks now! This new Pokerap is shit too.
    Those are old uniforms (explanation, probably old episode). Don't tell me they go non-bad-ass in the Best Wishes show and don the white uniform again.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited June 2011
    Those are old uniforms (explanation, probably old episode). Don't tell me they go non-bad-ass in the Best Wishes show and don the white uniform again.
    Consider yourself not told. And they certainly didn't do that instead of Blasting Off Again.

EDIT: I've watched three consecutive Gundams (8th MS Team, War in the Pocket, and Stardust Memory) and not a one of them had a guy with a mask.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Those are old uniforms (explanation, probably old episode). Don't tell me they go non-bad-ass in the Best Wishes show and don the white uniform again.
    Consider yourself not told. And they certainly didn't do that instead of Blasting Off Again.

EDIT: I've watched three consecutive Gundams (8th MS Team, War in the Pocket, and Stardust Memory) and not a one of them had a guy with a mask.
    You've watched three of the four Gundams I know of without a guy in a mask. The other one is the first season of Gundam 00.
  • You've watched three of the four Gundams I know of without a guy in a mask. The other one is the first season of Gundam 00.
    I was about to add G Gundam but then I remembered Schwarz Bruder. I still need to check out War in the Pocket.
  • Those are old uniforms (explanation, probably old episode). Don't tell me they go non-bad-ass in the Best Wishes show and don the white uniform again.

You've watched three of the four Gundams I know of without a guy in a mask. The other one is the first season of Gundam 00.
    2nd season counts as the same show. There are only 3 Gundams without mask dudes. Well, should be anyway.
  • edited June 2011
    I put a bunch of Satoshi Kon movies in my Netflix queue, and just watched Perfect Blue today. i am embarrassed to say that it was the first of his movies that I have ever seen.
    WHY THE FUCK DID HE HAVE TO DIE!?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I put a bunch of Satoshi Kon movies in my Netflix queue, and just watched Perfect Blue today. i am embarrassed to say that it was the first of his movies that I have ever seen.
    WHY THE FUCK DID HE HAVE TO DIE!?
    Sad puppy is sad about Satoshi Kon.
  • Scored myself a 6 DVD boxset of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann today for only about 30€, so I guess there goes my weekend.
  • I'm watching Gunslinger Girl, and it's a meh show. I really think the creator thinks they're creating some masterful work of art. Which they're not..