This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• There are many many many subtle hints about Spike's past that you can pick up on throughout the show. It's what makes the finale so great.
  • I just watched Ocean Waves and overall thought it was meh. Rikako was a complete bitch, and entirely unlikable.
  • I just watched Ocean Waves and overall thought it was meh. Rikako was a complete bitch, and entirely unlikable.
    Yes. It is not bad, but it is a meh Ghibli film. I didn't like the characters either.
  • edited July 2011
    I made it through 8 episodes, but I've officially given up on Airmaster. While the fights are somewhat interesting due to the styles they present, almost everything else generally sucks. The characters are bland if not outright annoying, and they do almost nothing of not except stand by and watch the main character fight. There is no overarching or in any way interesting story plot. The art is also not in any way outstanding. The show isn't outright bad, but it just lacks on so many levels.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Played Anime Russian Roulette, 5 random first episodes...

-One claimed that it's A-O.K. to try and get it on with your sister because she is just your step sister
    -Two were harem shows
    -One had a school-boy that fell in love with another school-boy pretending to be a school-girl (btw there was nudity)
    -The other one seemed to be focused on the giant jugs of a dim-witted girl and her panties.

WTF Japan...
  • Played Anime Russian Roulette, 5 random first episodes...

-One claimed that it's A-O.K. to try and get it on with your sister because she is just your step sister
    -Two were harem shows
    -One had a school-boy that fell in love with another school-boy pretending to be a school-girl (btw there was nudity)
    -The other one seemed to be focused on the giant jugs of a dim-witted girl and her panties.

WTF Japan...
    You're only supposed to put bullets in one of the six chambers, not all of them!
  • Any good slice of life/comedy anyone can recommend?
  • edited July 2011
    You're only supposed to put bullets in one of the six chambers, not all of them!
    I think he misread the instructions. It's "Put in 1 bullet", not "Leave out 1 bullet". Also, Roboto, what were the names of these shows? Whisper if you don't want to risk defiling the rest of the forums. I can, and by extension Apreche will have to, take it.
    Any good slice of life/comedy anyone can recommend?
    Nichijou. Similar to Azumanga Daioh only crazier. And a larger cast. Some of the jokes can be a bit weird though, but those are mostly just bizarre nonsense for the sake of the bizarre.
    Post edited by Not nine on
    I like Kaasan Mom's Life. It's on Crunchyroll, but other people don't like it as much as I do. It's about a mom who is a mangaka. She made a manga about herself making manga and being a mom. Then that manga she made got animated.
    Mawaru Penguindrum is about a girl who is terminally ill, dies, and then gets brought back to life by the power of a penguin hat she bought at the aquarium. Then three penguins arrive in the mail. It's a little slice of life, a little comedy, and a little Ikuhara (that's the only way I can classify it.) I would certainly recommend.
  • edited July 2011
    Any good slice of life/comedy anyone can recommend?
    Mawaru Penguindrum is about a girl who is terminally ill, dies, and then gets brought back to life by the power of a penguin hat she bought at the aquarium. Then three penguins arrive in the mail. It's a little slice of life, a little comedy, and a little Ikuhara (that's the only way I can classify it.) I would certainly recommend.
    Note: This show just started. My suggestion has been running since last season (that makes it only marginally better if you wanted a complete show).
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • -Sora no Otoshimono Forte
    -Summer Here is the screenshot of the "It's ok to do your sister"
    -Mayo Chiki (sorry, reading my post I wrote a boy falls in love with a boy pretending to be a girl, its a boy falls in love with a girl pretending to be a boy)

and I cant find the name of the other two in my history, so there.
    Nichijou. Similar to Azumanga Daioh only crazier. And a larger cast. Some of the jokes can be a bit weird though, but those are mostly just bizarre nonsense for the sake of the bizarre.

But yeah, Nichijou is a great little show. Other than that, if you like it tranquil, try Sketchbook ~Full Colors~. I could also recommend Seitokai Yakuindomo, but that is stuffed with sex jokes and might not be to your liking.
    Azumanga Diaoh is a great show if you haven't seen it, that is the end all and be all of slice of life shows. I'm also liking Nichijou, the jokes are simple and yet well executed. If you're a big Japanese pop culture fan then you must watch Lucky Star. If you are a more passive anime fan, it's hit and miss.

The one no one has talked about that I really liked is Working!!. It was a nice diverse cast, some cute romance mixed in, and is more of a cohesive story than the four panel adaptations mentioned above.
  • edited July 2011
    Oh, forgot about Working. That show is also quite nice. Nothing outstanding, but enjoyable.

If you want a comedy, Roboto, I can highly recommend Seto no Hanayome or My Bride is a Mermaid. Despite the dumb title, that show had me rolling in the aisles the entire time. It is very japanese and very insane though.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I actually have been liking Wandering Son. It's a really good exploration of gender roles and the idea of being transgendered (a boy feeling more comfortable as a girl, etc.) , but much more realistic than most "gender bender" anime. I like this mangaka's work in general, like Aoi Hana. It's a very sweet slice-of-life type of show.
  • I actually have been liking Wandering Son.
    That was a very enjoyable show. Poor bullying kid was so sad when he got a face full of pissed off whatshisnameagain.
    The one no one has talked about that I really liked is Working!!.
    Suggesting Working is the Poplar thing to do.
    and I cant find the name of the other two in my history, so there.
    That's certainly a good thing.
  • Oh shit, Wandering Son is by the Aoi Hana person? That shit's my joint.
  • Nobody has mentioned Hidamari Sketch for slice-of-life yet? For shame. Seconding Nichijou, too, I really ought to catch up with that sometime soon.
  • Nobody has mentioned Hidamari Sketch for slice-of-life yet?
    I need to finish watching the first season of that. It's funny, but I wouldn't suggest it to Roboto. I think he prefers the crazier Nichijou over Hidamari. Proof me wrong he will.
  • As soon as I clear up some space on my harddrive, I'm gonna start watching Bakamonogatari.
  • I would not recommend Working!!. It veers more into romantic-comedy territory than Slice of Life. (Really annoying rom-com, too. >->)

One anime I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet is Ichigo Mashimaro. I found it really sweet, and has a great deadpan sense of humor to things. And I do find it really interesting how you follow four innocent characters, while the anchor is a 20 year old chain smoking/drinking older sister.
  • What are some good shows on Crunchyroll aside from Code Geass?
    Captain Harlock.
    Not Code Geass.
    Squid Girl!
  • Captain Harlock.
    I don't know if I can get past the look of the show. Not that there's anything wrong with old shows, it just bugs me.
  • I don't know if I can get past the look of the show. Not that there's anything wrong with old shows, it just bugs me.
    Really? That's actually kind of sad. How do you feel about the look of old paintings or movies?
    1. Really? That's actually kind of sad. How do you feel about the look of old paintings or movies?

Paintings and movies don't seem to really bother me. There's something elegant about an old black and white movie. Looking at screens of Captain Harlock reminds me of cartoons from the 80s, and while I loved the style as a kid, it just tends to be too cheesy for me now. If I'm wrong to think that though, I'll give it a shot.
    1. Really? That's actually kind of sad. How do you feel about the look of old paintings or movies?

Paintings and movies don't seem to really bother me. There's something elegant about an old black and white movie. Looking at screens of Captain Harlock reminds me of cartoons from the 80s, and while I loved the style as a kid, it just tends to be too cheesy for me now. If I'm wrong to think that though, I'll give it a shot.
    I don't see anything cheesy about this:
    I do see a little bit here:
    But it is the awesome kind of cheese, the kind of cheese that get stuck in your head, like this song: