This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Maria+Holic
    Whhhhhyyyyyy?
    As explained, animated by Shaft, and Shaft is my favorite studio. Unfortunately, the show is rather bland and uninteresting, and is a comedy that fails to make me laugh. And thus, I've given up on and stopped watching it. The only really good things that came from the series are the theme tunes.
  • Maria+Holic (a show I've now officially given up on. I guess not all Shaft series can be winners)
    Whhhhhyyyyyy?
    You forgot to quote the rest, which (at least partially) redeems him.
  • edited August 2011
    Commonly in this forum and on the Geeknights show the sentiment is expressed to not knock before trying. I'm rather of perplexed why I'm being faulted for having tried at all...
    (particularly since we apparently have come to the same conclusion, that the show sucks)
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Commonly in this forum and on the Geeknights show the sentiment is expressed to not knock before trying. I'm rather of perplexed why I'm being faulted for having tried at all...
    (particularly since we apparently have come to the same conclusion, that the show sucks)
    Yes, you should try before knocking. However, sometimes you don't even need to try. You don't need to eat dog poop off the sidewalk to know it tastes like shit.
  • edited August 2011
    Yes, you should try before knocking. However, sometimes you don't even need to try. You don't need to eat dog poop off the sidewalk to know it tastes like shit.
    Hyperbolic comparisons beside, how do you decide which you should try and which you shouldn't? I tried the series because it was animated by my favorite studio. Simple as that. It's not a good show and that's my final conclusion. I simply don't understand why people are aghast, that I have tried something by a company whose products I usually enjoy. I also don't think I need to hear about not trying to taste the dog poop when you know it tastes like shit without trying from people that have tried to watch Chu-Bra.
  • Hyperbolic comparisons beside, how do you decide which you should try and which you shouldn't? I tried the series because it was animated by my favorite studio. Simple as that. It's not a good show and that's my final conclusion. I simply don't understand why people are aghast, that I have tried something by a company whose products I usually enjoy. I also don't think I need to hear about not trying to taste the dog poop when you know it tastes like shit without doing so from people that have tried to watch Chu-Bra.
    There are so many works of art in the world that the all-time greats should always be at the top of your list. I basically don't even pay attention to anything else unless someone is making a ruckus about it for some reason. For example, I only watched Madoka because there was a thread about it and people were losing their shit.

As for watching Chu-Bra, sometimes when you find something really smelly, like a bamboo, you pass it around the room and everyone smells it and goes ewww!
  • edited August 2011
    Yes Scott, the greats should be on top of the list, but that doesn't mean you should never pay attention to anything else. Basically what we have here is the same thing as the Foundation situation. Foundation is a great novel, but later sequels by Asimov are said to turn to shit. You guys said in the Foundation episode that you would continue reading until you reach the shit barrier, at which point you will stop. Analogously, I will at least try anything by Studio Shaft. Shaft is a company whose work I often have thoroughly enjoyed (e.g. Bakemonogatari, SZS, PaniPoni Dash, Rec) and thus has a track record, though they've also made some crap as well. If I find something that turns out to be poop, I will stop watching that show, but until I actually try and look at it, I can't really make such a decision. It is true that this is not necessarily made from a description of the product at hand but the pedigree of the person or company who made it, but the same is true for continuing with the Foundation novels since the draw you have to them is that they are written by Asimov, and not what is written on the jacket copy.

Also, I find it interesting how you, when I pointed out the Chu-Bra thing, downgraded such behavior from tasting poop to smelling something smelly.
  • Also, I find it interesting how you, when I pointed out the Chu-Bra thing, downgraded such behavior from tasting poop to smelling something smelly.
    We watched one episode, mostly just for the purposes of doing a show on it. Not an entire season or anything.
  • 2nd season of Maria+Holic
    You were watching the second season, from which I assumed that you had watched the first. It's fine, I don't think you are a bad person. I have watched bad anime before.
  • I was actually slightly amused by the first season, but I watched that when I was still in college and pretty much had all the time in the world. Unfortunately, the show gets worse as it progresses. It has some redeeming qualities, such as the animation and art style, etc. but in retrospect that is mostly Shaft's production quality and inherent style masking and distracting from the problems that are deeply ingrained in the source material, by which I mean that the show never goes anywhere with the premise and has next to no substance. As said, Shaft does everything it can with the show, but it still fails because the underlying source material is just way too weak. It kind of strings you along in hopes that it gets better, but alas.

I've now seen the errors of my ways and repent deeply. Please, FRC, absolve me of my sins.
  • I admit it. I'm watching Madoka AGAIN. No reason to hide it or have shame. It's only 12 episodes. So why not? You see more the second time, just like Utena and such.
  • edited August 2011
    I don't think there would be any shame in rewatching Madoka. That is a genuinely good series (and also a Shaft product :D), though I think much of the experience of the series is lost due to the big reveal at the end and the true nature of the series which isn't quite apparent when you start out on it the first time. Particularly the opening sequence is thoroughly misleading, pretending to be a happy go lucky magical girls show. The realization for what fucked up shit is going on in that world is a lot of what makes the show great.
  • I rewatched Madoka when I showed it to my brother. I found it enjoyable both times, especially since my brother and I tend to joke and jest quite a bit when watching shows (many inside jokes have stemmed from Battlestar Galactica).

We're currently watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Gotta love those American CIA agents.
  • I'm watching Bokurano, and while I'm liking it, some of it makes me really wonder what's up with Japan. It has a serious tone, but what's with all the 10 year olds having sex or trying to have sex?
  • Just finished watching Redline.

Whoa.
  • I'm watching Bokurano, and while I'm liking it, some of it makes me really wonder what's up with Japan. It has a serious tone, but what's with all the 10 year olds having sex or trying to have sex?
    There's like...Two of them that have this issue. Out of fifteen. Not that big a deal.
    1. There's like...Two of them that have this issue. Out of fifteen. Not that big a deal.

There's the pregnant girl, the guy who almost raped the one girl, and the girl who wanted to be a prostitute. It's not much, but why? What do they gain from making the characters so young? Visually they don't look any different than high schoolers, so it mostly just comes off as shock for the sake of shock.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm watching Bokurano, and while I'm liking it, some of it makes me really wonder what's up with Japan. It has a serious tone, but what's with all the 10 year olds having sex or trying to have sex?
    They aren't ten years old. All the characters of Bokurano are in 7th grade, meaning 12-14 years old. Kana is the only exception, she is in 4th grade.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    1. They aren't ten years old. All the characters of Bokurano are in 7th grade, meaning 12-14 years old. Kana is the only exception, she is in 4th grade.

Oh my mistake. I remembered an episode where one of the characters was discussing the middle school she wanted to go to, and middle school starts here around age 11.
    1. They aren't ten years old. All the characters of Bokurano are in 7th grade, meaning 12-14 years old. Kana is the only exception, she is in 4th grade.

Oh my mistake. I remembered an episode where one of the characters was discussing the middle school she wanted to go to, and middle school starts here around age 11.
    I have the Viz edition of the manga. The first two pages list all the characters, what grade they are in, their height, etc.
  • Watching the old Neo Human Cashaan. Man, I don't remember everyone in this show being such a huge douche! =P
  • edited August 2011
    I'm watching Bokurano,
    Oh, you are in for some fun if you think the tone is "serious" It's way worse then that :-p Bukurano is one of my favorite anime. I'm a big fan of the "Wow something really cool WITH HORRIBLE DRAW BACKS" type show. The only other example I can think off hand is "Now and Then, Here and There" where a boy meets a cute girl from another world and it sucked into the WAR DIMENSION OF CHILD SOLDIERS AND ANIMAL CRUELTY. Soooo Good. More shows should go with this angle, crush as many "I want to be a Giant Robot pilot" dreams as possible :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'm watching Bokurano,
    Oh, you are in for some fun if you think the ton is "serious" It's way worse then that :-p Bukurano is one of my favorite anime. I'm a big fan of the "Wow something really cool WITH HORRIBLE DRAW BACKS" type show. The only other example I can think off hand is "Now and Then, Here and There" where a boy meets a cute girl from another world and it sucked into the WAR DIMENSION OF CHILD SOLDIERS AND ANIMAL CRUELTY. Soooo Good. More shows should go with this angle, crush as many "I want to be a Giant Robot pilot" dreams as possible :-p
    You should watch the Madoka then.
  • Definitely watch Madoka. It gets rid of the desire to be a magical girl right quick.
  • I bought Dirty Pair and Bubblegum Crisis. There is going to be some 80s anime up in here, I can tell you that.
  • Watching Mushi Shi on netflix. It totally slow and boring and great somehow.
  • Today I finally went out and bought the first volume of the german release of Durarara!! The release is only Japanese with german (and to my surprise english) subtitles, and basically no extra features either. As everybody in this forum knows or should know, this is an excellent series and well worth owning, even at such a bare-bones release. Still, at 35€ for a two disks and 9 episodes it is rather pricy, as is most anime. I was contemplating of waiting for a box set (which the same distributor will probably also offer for an acceptable price like it already does for shows like Planetes and Gurren Lagann, both of which I own), but I decided to support the release of the original volumes. The packaging of it might make up for the price of admission. In fact it is so good that I had to show it to you:

image image
    The front with Mikado, Masaomi and Anri, and the wrapper shield with the marketing blurb and some frames. I usually don't like these loose sheets which aren't attached to or printed on the actual box, since it is rather annoying and it sticks out, however, in this case it makes space for more art and better packaging overall I think. What makes the box interesting is the fact that the hinge to open the box isn't on the side, the way you probably would expect, but on the top.

image image
    The inside of the box with the disks removed, depicting the Shizo and Izaya as it should be.

image image
    Finally, the back of the box and the individual disks. I will probably keep it displayed by having the side with Kadota and gang out at all times.
  • Is it worth it to watch Now and Then, Here and There?
    Yes, but if you are already a depressed person don't :-p
    Yes, but if you are already a depressed person don't :-p