This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I want to know what happens when magical girls grow up
    CLAMP attempts to answer this, sort-of, with Tsubasa... but that's only if you buy into the fact that Tsubasa is a sequel to Card Captor Sakura, which I don't really. Mostly because I have a mostly hate, but love-hate type relationship with Tsubasa as a series, and most of the information about it being a sequel starts to get into major spoilers territory. I'll go on that rant if you're really interested, but I should note that I don't think it gives a GOOD answer so that's not really something I'd consider as REALLY dealing with the issue but it does try.

Nanoha also tries to address this, in making Nanoha and Fate grow up to be commanders in a magical-girl army in StrikerS. So I guess there's that route as well.

• Nanoha also tries to address this, in making Nanoha and Fate grow up to be commanders in a magical-girl army in StrikerS. So I guess there's that route as well.
    Looking briefly at the Nanoha wiki's page on StrikerS, this sounds like it could be interesting. In some ways it's the most obvious path: Shouldn't a magical girl simply grow up to be a magical woman?

Madoka really laid bare the notion that the magical girl's power is directly linked to her adolescent turmoil, and presumably wouldn't last beyond that, especially in the specific rules of Madoka's universe. And generally speaking, anime seems to feature a lot of magical girls and wise (sometimes magical) crones, but the middle stage is often missing, or distinctly unmagical. Maybe an accurate reflection of what it's often like to be middle-aged.
  • My Neon Genesis Evangelion box set arrived today. "Unfortunately" I already planned to watch the 2nd episode of Otaku no Video as well as Robot Carnival this evening.
  • Looking briefly at the Nanoha wiki's page on StrikerS, this sounds like it could be interesting. In some ways it's the most obvious path: Shouldn't a magical girl simply grow up to be a magical woman?
    Personally, I think a magical girl will remain a young girl forever until they die. The reason I think this is because Kyoko's story and the abandoned church looked and felt like it was at least a half a century old. Even with immortality, I'm guessing that most girls don't last that long, due to mental instability, honor, and stuff.
  • Yeah, Madoka Magica. You really need to watch the first three, shit gets real.

I watched first six and this show REALLY does not go where you expect!

Can't wait to watch the final six next week!

Great show!
  • Dude that was subbing Kaiji 2 called it quits. Now I've got to wait for more Bog =(
  • Dude that was subbing Kaiji 2 called it quits. Now I've got to wait for more Bog =(
    Could just wait for the movie that is coming out :P
  • I'm starting from scratch and watching everything that is worthwhile, because I never did it when I was suppose to. So right now I'm watching Cowboy Bebop the series 1 on my free time at work, watching Big-O season 1 at home, also watching Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) at home. I downloaded Space Battleship Yamato the 2010 movie, but I'm saving it up for when I watch at least a few more episodes from the series, looks real good.
  • Am I the only person who found Big O way too boring?
  • Am I the only person who found Big O way too boring?
    No.
  • Kung Fu Cooking Girls is very reminiscent of God of Cookery but with more actual fighting (and a nipple).
  • edited September 2011
    I finally finished Eva. Onto End of Eva before Rebuilding Eva. But first... A quick detour to slumtown with Vampire Wars.
    *edit*
    I am already regreting this.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Gonna get me some Mad Bull 34 to go with my Violence Jack and make a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of awful.
  • edited September 2011
    Facemeltingly Awful.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I'm waiting for Dave and Joel to finish Violence Jack. Seriously, if they thought the first episode was bad, they have no idea. It gets so much worse. So much worse.
  • Kung Fu Cooking Girls is very reminiscent of God of Cookery but with more actual fighting (and a nipple).

New show to watch, god damn does this look good.

I would have finished high school of the dead by now if it weren't for the fact i was forcing my shit friend, the one who watches one anime per year ( either movie or episode ), to watch it with me.

This will have been my 30th revisit to Panty and stocking, my 3rd revisit of FMA ( i keep forgetting i hate it ), my weekly revisit of FLCL, 100000th time watching Queen Bee, first time watching soul eater, Millionth time watching fist of the north star, 2nd time with Gurren Laggan, and the NEVER EVER AGAIN WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME YOU FUCKING ASSHAT I WILL KILL YOU FOR THIS YOU DEAD FUCKING ASS FUCK WHY DO YOU EXIST FUCKING FUCK TON FUCKER time with the first 10 minutes of strike witches.
  • I'm working my way through Full Metal Panic. I like it and, moreover, it's giving me a biiiig hankering to play some Mechwarrior.
  • I have recently been watching Utena when I don't have a TV and FLCL (god-damn, it has such a good soundtrack) on Netflix streaming when I do have a TV. However, when I saw that they had Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex first gig available, I have turned away from FLCL to set my sights on finishing that and Utena. So far, really good, I just finished episode 8 with the dude who skins people's torso's off in GitS:SAC and episode 9 in Utena when the Anthy got kidnapped and all of the eternal stuff was happening.
  • New show to watch, god damn does this look good.
    It is just a short, made by a handful of people. It really reminds me of studio 4C. Nice! Lots of weird sexual imagery, though.
  • Yeah, it's a one shot by a Chinese studio called Jin Roh (I think).
  • I assumed that Jin Roh was the person's pseudonym. They don't list out the names of more than 5 people.
  • Right, that was the director's name, my mistake.
  • Right, that was the director's name, my mistake.
    The studio's Wolf Smoke. They also put out some other animations
  • So, End of Eva.....Sometimes I guess you just gotta choke a bitch.. Is the moral?
    Just... grab another fansub group?
  • edited September 2011
    Just... grab another fansub group?
    Oh I did, I just need my fix right then. I was coming down with the DTs denied of my weekly dose of zawa.

EDIT: Dude seems to have unquit anyway.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • EDIT: Dude seems to have unquit anyway.
    Random suggestion. Don't download fansubs made by a single person. Instead stick with a group that's likely to finish what they start.
  • I was coming down with the DTs denied of my weekly dose of zawa.
    ~ZAWA
  • I'm enjoying Big-O, but Battleship Yamato, classic gold to me.