This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Oh, there is angst in The Vision of Escaflowne, but not as bad. It's one of my favorite anime.
  • Cowboy Bebop scores big points with me by virtue of being hand animated, and very skillfully. That puts it on my "must see in order to be indoctrinated" list.
    Certainly, but they think they already are indoctrinated. Slap some sense into them, THEN bring out the amazing mass appeal shows like Cowboy Bebop.
  • edited July 2012
    What do you think is better?
    You realize both first and second gig of GitS:SAC were made less than a decade ago, right? I could compile a list of well-known good shows from the last decade and you'd be surprised. For one PLANETES was made in 2003, shockingly I didn't think it was that 'old'.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Isn't Utena the one where the lesbians transform into cars and get attacked by an ambulatory car wash..? Am I mixing titles up again?
    Revolutionary Girl Utena is one of the greatest serialized pieces of animation to ever be put to celluloid, exploring themes of love, adolescence, and power, using symbolism well developed characters and checkov's gun to create a work of art deeper than most can see. Adolescence of Utena is the one where the lesbians transform into cars and get attacked by an ambulatory car wash and should only be bought because it comes with Right Stuff's release of season 3 whether you want it or not.
  • It seems like whenever people get into the converting people to anime discussions, or helping young anime fans to be more well rounded, comedy gets left out. So what's the first anime that comes to mind if you want to show someone a great comedy?
  • Isn't Utena the one where the lesbians transform into cars and get attacked by an ambulatory car wash..? Am I mixing titles up again?
    Revolutionary Girl Utena is one of the greatest serialized pieces of animation to ever be put to celluloid, exploring themes of love, adolescence, and power, using symbolism well developed characters and checkov's gun to create a work of art deeper than most can see. Adolescence of Utena is the one where the lesbians transform into cars and get attacked by an ambulatory car wash and should only be bought because it comes with Right Stuff's release of season 3 whether you want it or not.
    I've read your post, glassy eyed, a couple of times now and I'm lost. Right Stuff? Who? I don't remember "Adolescence". I thought it was called "Revolutionary Girl Utena".
  • edited July 2012
    I've read your post, glassy eyed, a couple of times now and I'm lost. Right Stuff? Who? I don't remember "Adolescence". I thought it was called "Revolutionary Girl Utena".
    "The Adolescence of Utena", short for "Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena" is the name of the movie made after the TV show "Revolutionary Girl Utena". The TV series was broken up in traditional fashion in the US into several seasons, Right Stuff's release of this 'third season' comes with the movie by that name.
  • Isn't Utena the one where the lesbians transform into cars and get attacked by an ambulatory car wash..?
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

• I've read your post, glassy eyed, a couple of times now and I'm lost. Right Stuff? Who? I don't remember "Adolescence". I thought it was called "Revolutionary Girl Utena".
    "The Adolescence of Utena", short for "Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena" is the name of the movie made after the TV show "Revolutionary Girl Utena".
    Who needs Google? Thanks!
  • Isn't Utena the one where the lesbians transform into cars and get attacked by an ambulatory car wash..?
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Oh heck no, it's great, I'm just not sure I'm ready to watch it with my 13 year old daughter yet.

So we'll just keep watching Archer instead. ;-)
  • The TV show Revolutionary Girl Utena is perfectly fine for a 13 year old. Worst-case, try Princess Tutu first. ;^)
  • The TV show Revolutionary Girl Utena is perfectly fine for a 13 year old. Worst-case, try Princess Tutu first. ;^)
    I echo, echo, echo this. Tutu's a great anime about dancingstoriesa delusional duck with visions of grandeur.
  • The TV show Revolutionary Girl Utena is perfectly fine for a 13 year old.
    I'm not even sure the movie would be problematic for most 13 year olds (at least, not more problematic than for people of any other age).

• I'm sort-of-but-not-really limited by what's available on Netflix for convenience sake, but will branch out soon because we're running out of library there.
    I'm not even sure the movie would be problematic for most 13 year olds (at least, not more problematic than for people of any other age).

Having seen the movie I'd like her to be a little more mature before she sees it. She's melodramatic enough right now as it is. Life is a soap opera, etc. But that probably has more to do with her as an individual than as a representative of 13 year olds.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm sort-of-but-not-really limited by what's available on Netflix for convenience sake, but will branch out soon because we're running out of library there.
    If there was a way for me to see what Netflix offered pointers could be made. Alas, they still don't bother expanding to Europe with speed. Obviously they don't want my moneys.
    Having seen the movie I'd like her to be a little more mature before she sees it. She's melodramatic enough right now as it is. Life is a soap opera, etc. But that probably has more to do with her as an individual than as a representative of 13 year olds.
    The movie is quite different from the TV show.
  • I specifically said the TV show. The movie isn't even contiguous with the show.
  • I specifically said the TV show. The movie isn't even contiguous with the show.
    You did, and then jtvh swung it round again, and I responded to her. There's no inconsistency. I saw your recommendation. Will look for it. I don't think it's on Netflix so it may be a while.
    You did, and then jtvh swung it round again, and I responded to her. There's no inconsistency. I saw your recommendation. Will look for it. I don't think it's on Netflix so it may be a while.
    Netflix has some but not all of the Utena TV show disks (and nothing Utena on streaming). So I believe right now your only legal way of watching it is purchasing the box sets, which are new and nicely packaged but quite overpriced.
  • Netflix has some but not all of the Utena TV show disks (and nothing Utena on streaming). So I believe right now your only legal way of watching it is purchasing the box sets, which are new and nicely packaged but quite overpriced.
    I'm so conflicted by this. I have the original series on many a DVD, but the new release with extra stuff looks so shiny, that it's very tempting to purchase. Very tempting. Did they remaster or enhance the animation in the new releases? Just curious.

Actually, if melodrama is a concern, I'm not sure you'd be any happier with the TV show than the movie. It's heavily melodramatic, especially the middle episodes (Black Rose Saga) and the final few episodes.
  • Netflix has some but not all of the Utena TV show disks (and nothing Utena on streaming). So I believe right now your only legal way of watching it is purchasing the box sets, which are new and nicely packaged but quite overpriced.
    I'm so conflicted by this. I have the original series on many a DVD, but the new release with extra stuff looks so shiny, that it's very tempting to purchase. Very tempting. Did they remaster or enhance the animation in the new releases? Just curious.
    Yes, it's all remastered, color corrected, with new sound effects and voice-over corrections at the director's discretion. They're great sets.
  • *sigh* Perhaps I can ask this for a present for some occasion of some sort.

Thanks for the info. Eventually, I'll have to figure out a way to get rid of my other DVDs.
  • edited July 2012
    No, you need to watch G-Gundam. It should be an essential watch for every anime fan.
    No, I don't care how old this post was, just wanna bring it back up because it's important.

Post edited by Axel on
  • What do you think is better?
    You realize both first and second gig of GitS:SAC were made less than a decade ago, right? I could compile a list of well-known good shows from the last decade and you'd be surprised. For one PLANETES was made in 2003, shockingly I didn't think it was that 'old'.
    Huh, I thought SAC was older. My bad. Also I didn't mean to offend Planetes.
    But Madoka is still really fucking good.
  • Huh, I thought SAC was older. My bad. Also I didn't mean to offend Planetes. But Madoka is still really fucking good.
    Madoka is really good yeah. But there's been other really good shows in the last 10 years. Can't hurt to refresh ones memory sometimes.
  • edited July 2012
    No, you need to watch G-Gundam. It should be an essential watch for every anime fan.
    No, I don't care how old this post was, just wanna bring it back up because it's important.

I'd say it's an essential watch if you're into giant robot shows or wuxia films, and just a recomendation for other anime fans.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Geez. Watching Madoka again.
  • No, you need to watch G-Gundam. It should be an essential watch for every anime fan.

I'd say it's an essential watch if you're into giant robot shows or wuxia films, and just a recomendation for other anime fans.
    Yeah. If you like Super Robot type stuff, it's necessary.
    If you like Real Robot stuff, ignore it.