This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battlefield

Comments

• I saw this Caspian video today, and it looks pretty cool! I've never tried the series, but the idea of 64 people able to switch between on-foot/driving/flying is pretty rad. Hopefully I can catch a demo at PAX!
  • Problem?
    I could watch that little robot run in to a wall all day.
  • Battlefield Desert Combat holds a special place in my heart!
  • My experience with battlefield:
  • The audio's a bit muffled.
    "Don't revive me I need" what?
  • The audio's a bit muffled.
    "Don't revive me I need" what?
    Not sure if he's saying ammo or accuracy or something else entirely.
  • I saw this Caspian video today, and it looks pretty cool! I've never tried the series, but the idea of 64 people able to switch between on-foot/driving/flying is pretty rad. Hopefully I can catch a demo at PAX!
    Well so much for trying it at PAX. I wasn't about to waste the kind of time the main booth would take, but thought I'd have a shot in the PC freeplay area... nope, the 24 machines with BF3 were just for 12v12 matches an hour long... and they only ran them from 7-10 pm. I thought it was silly, but know that my opinion doesn't matter because it's EA.

Speaking of EA, I swung by their Need For Speed booth and thought the new game was pretty cool. The concept is a cross-country race from LA to NY broken into segments. There are 250 competitors, and you need to get first place by the time you get to New York. It was fun, I liked the driving even more than the latest Hot Pursuit and I got a sweet key-shaped flash drive for setting a fast time on the demo track. Because it was one of the first racing games I played and loved Need For Speed has been my exception to "EA is evil", and I thought I may pick it up after playing it. Then I got home and read this:
    What’s the status of Porsche in Forza Motorsport 4?
    This kills me. While Forza Motorsport 4 will feature RUF, it will not include Porsche cars. As many of you know, since the beginning of the Forza franchise, the Porsche license has been available only through a sub-licensing deal with EA. In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again.
    There is more on the topic at the source (bottom of the page). Porsche is my favorite marque and EA doesn't even compete with Forza, putting out only arcade style racing games... grr. I was already on the fence about buying BF3 with Origin and EA's other BS, so after this, fuck 'em.
  • I think EA would claim that the Need For Speed Shift series are simulation style racers.
  • OH GOD :fap fap fap:
  • Is there an analog stick controller on the market that can be used in combination with a mouse instead of using the keyboard? I still want to use the mouse but due to some nerve damage I have issues using the keyboard controls with my left hand. Something like an old ball style controller with extra buttons for your fingers is what I'm looking for.
  • Who will install the open beta and play with me?
  • Is there an analog stick controller on the market that can be used in combination with a mouse instead of using the keyboard? I still want to use the mouse but due to some nerve damage I have issues using the keyboard controls with my left hand. Something like an old ball style controller with extra buttons for your fingers is what I'm looking for.
    Use the mouse with your left, keyboard in your right. Might be awkward at first, but you'll overcome with practice.
  • Okay, to install the beta on your computer, you need to:
    1. Download/install Origin (EA download manager).
    2. Download the game.
    3. Connect your account to the online battlelog.
    4. Install a FIREFOX-PLUGIN.

This is too many steps. Three steps too many, in fact. I managed to play some on 360, I haven't gotten it to work on PC yet (I think the EA servers are down at the moment). The web integrated interface is honestly kind of cool, but completely unnecessary and complicated.
  • Who will install the open beta and play with me?
    Installing literally as we speak.
  • My Origin username is Br0nzdragon.
  • My Origin username is Br0nzdragon.
    Churba_inc here.
  • WaterIsPoisonST
  • Okay, so I download Origin, download the beta, try to play, and suddenly Firefox is opened and loosing it's shit. WHY WHY WHY would any modern PC game company make an external browser-based matchmaking? I couldn't even get into a game.
  • edited September 2011
    FRC platoon here.

Join it, it makes playing together somewhat easier.
    Also, you get a totally sweet Dinosaur Kings patch on your Uniform -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Kitsunepunk
  • Fun. Laggy. Bit Unstable. Fun.
  • Also, you get a Dinosaur Kings patch on your Uniform
    Does that actually appear in-game?
  • Does that actually appear in-game?
    I have no idea, I'm not able to look at myself in game. Only one way to find out, I suppose.
  • Does that actually appear in-game?
    I have no idea, I'm not able to look at myself in game. Only one way to find out, I suppose.
    I'm 52% of the way downloaded. Curse Harper, etc.
  • I'm 52% of the way downloaded. Curse Harper, etc.
    Okay. Fuckin' harper, that cunt.

Also, I had a super fast download - 2 Mb a second, which is almost unprecedented for me, had it in half an hour.
  • I just applied to the dinosaur kings :D
  • I'm not liking the game that much. I feel like I'm playing a game that is trying to be COD with some smatterings of Brink thrown in.

It might just be the map but it doesn't feel like a Battlefield game. Well it does feel like the freemium online game and I expect to see a lot of "unlock this weapon/kit 100%" DLC.

I think I might cancel my preorder and stick with Bad Company 2 and Vietnam.
  • It's definitely the map. I think they are using an infantry-only mode in the open beta to sucker the CoD people, and the layout is kinda unusual. The game does feel a little off, but I think it's just because of how much BC2 I've played has made me hypersensitive to the weapon handling and such. After I switched around some of the controls, it felt a lot better.

I have a buddy in the closed beta, so he's playing the vehicle map they've got up. He says it's extremely classy BF2 style gameplay, and I trust his taste entirely.

Also, I almost thought that everything felt less visceral-feeling than BC2 up until I realized my subwoofers were off. Whoops. Sound really does make a big difference.
  • edited September 2011
    It's definitely the map. I think they are using an infantry-only mode in the open beta to sucker the CoD people, and the layout is kinda unusual. The game does feel a little off, but I think it's just because of how much BC2 I've played has made me hypersensitive to the weapon handling and such. After I switched around some of the controls, it felt a lot better.
    Also, it might be the players - I can't find any active servers if I turn on the Punkbuster filter, and I've seen a few people who have definitely downloaded their skill rather than worked for it, so to speak - I'm not just talking a little help, I mean some blatant shit, like spinning 180 degrees before shooting someone you shouldn't be able to see with a perfect headshot, and immediately spinning around and hitting someone else at 90 degrees to that with another perfect and instant headshot.

Oh, and it seems that the lure of a free game has taken all the COD kids away from their favorite game. If there is teamwork in this, I'm not often seeing it.
    Post edited by Churba on