This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battlefield

Comments

• edited October 2011
    second section where shotgun is king
    I've definitely noticed that there are certain weapon combinations that match certain sections of the level.

Park: SVD/MOD11 + ACOG or x7 scope
    Subway: 870MCS/PP2000
    Offices: 870MCS/PP2000/M249
    Buildings/Plaza: M249/SVD/MOD11 + ACOG

It seems weird to me coming from BC2 where you would just be a sniper on a rush map, and you would just move forward periodically. I always seem to do better in BF3 if I just conform to the constraints of the section.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited October 2011
    I agree with most of that. I also have issues expressed in that video with the sniper rifles, where I can blast the crap out of someone before they die. I think a headshot with a sniper rifle, or most other guns for that matter, should be a kill regardless.
    I like that I now have an explanation why people with the UMP keep raping the shit out of me.
    Also, many issues I've been having seem to be entirely server-side or lag-related including the movement issues and the invisible enemies.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Confirmed - Final weekend, they're opening up Caspian Border to all. 32 V 32, conquest, old school battlefield.
  • Confirmed - Final weekend, they're opening up Caspian Border to all. 32 V 32, conquest, old school battlefield.
    I just jumped into a quick game to see how it is.

Ended up protecting a point with 10+ teammates, while getting shelled by tanks and with an enemy helicopter sitting in the sky raining down death. It was pretty awesome. It was also nice to see that when I tried to fix a damaged tank I couldn't, because there were already 2 other guys on it who already had it fixed.
  • edited October 2011
    The map is unplayably laggy for me and, it seems, a lot of other people. Waiting for a fix.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • This game sounds so fun and I'm so disappointed I can't play it. :/
  • This is why the game is awesome.
  • edited October 2011
    This is why the game is awesome.
    I must admit, I was annoyed at how useless the Stinger unlock was - it literally will not fire when not locked on - until they opened caspian border. I jumped two levels in a single game, because it turns out that people are just not yet used to man-portable surface to air missiles. Which is sad, they look so lonely just hovering around up there, and I just feel compelled to send up a little friend to say hello.

Also -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Also -
    Wow, that makes me want to play that game.
  • Also -
    Wow, that makes me want to play that game.
    Can't deny that shit is epic.
  • edited October 2011
    'Tis an ancient tradition of Battlefield.

Back in the day, it was a bit harder when your missiles don't fucking lock on and track.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That loop video is a classic!
  • I played some more of the beta last night and am fairly hooked when the battles are huge. The sound design is awesome, and the fighting is pretty incredible too. Managed to take out a light tank with a SMAW from about 400 meters, after judging the amount the rocket would fall... fun stuff.

Too bad the beta is over now.
  • I must admit, battlefield 3 definitely has some of the best sound design I've seen in modern gaming.
  • The beta pretty much convinced me to pre-order this game.
  • Too bad I'm getting the Xbox version, since all of my friends insist on exclusively playing console shooters.

Woe is me... :(
  • I must admit, battlefield 3 definitely has some of the best sound design I've seen in modern gaming.
    Yeah, even with a 2.1 setup it was very positional. Additionally, although the "Be advised.." got annoying I absolutely loved the variation in sound bytes when spotting infantry and whatnot.
  • The beta pretty much convinced me to pre-order this game.
    I want to, but eighty bucks is just not reasonable - and that's from Origin. If it was fifty to seventy, done deal, but eighty is just a bit too much. I'm gonna wait for it to drop in price, because I refuse to support this bullshit of Australia getting dicked for game prices, no matter how much I really, really want that game.
  • Bullet drop is fantastically displayed here.
  • HAX!

Well, not really, but man that's incredible. Also, recently I learned what the markings in the scope are for. They're to help you figure out what range things are at (obviously) by going off of a standard height of 1.8 meters.
  • I think that's standard sniping for you. Though this is the first time they've had the BF2 sized maps with bullet drop.
  • Bullet drop is fantastically displayed here.
    I must admit, though I'm used to gauging distance without it, it would be nice to get some sort of laser rangefinder - not telling you explicitly where to aim, just just a little thing that displays the distance to what you're aiming at. Not necessarily integrated into the scope, maybe as a separate thing, but just a little device that tells you "XYZ m to target."

As long as it's not unlock bullshit, though - if you're going to have one, the recon should have it as an option from the very start, or at least, a very low level, rather than having to grind through till level 30 or get 500 kills with one gun to get it.
  • Can't deny that shit is epic.
    Oh god I love dogfighting.

Is there a good WWI dogfighting game out right now? That video hit a spot.
  • Ideally, one should be able to use the scope to approximate range. Like the standard scope on the SVD
  • THAT! Exactly that. That was one of the coolest things I learned about using scopes.
  • edited October 2011
    Ideally, one should be able to use the scope to approximate range. Like the standard scope on the SVD
    Well, yes, I'm familiar with the stadia method, but I'm lazy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Is there a good WWI dogfighting game out right now? That video hit a spot.
    Check these guys out. I played Warbirds for awhile, it's still one of my favorite WW2 fighter pilot sims. Be warned, the learning curve is pretty steep last time I checked, as the people who have stuck with it are really quite good.
  • No weezin' the juice?
  • So I decided to preorder last night. Now I just need to decide where to preorder from. Apparently Amazon has it the cheapest?