This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battlefield

Comments

• Okay, it runs on my computer, but there are some serious performance issues. Running is like running while having seizures, if you're playing during peak times. Movement and hit detection can be very iffy, and there are already cheats and exploits. So far, I'm underwhelmed. If the full release isn't significantly better than this, Battlefield is dead to me as a franchise.
  • edited October 2011
    Wow, you all are a bunch of negative nancys. I'm enjoying the beta and can see A LOT of promising aspects. The guns actually feel nice to fire, the movement works really well (this game does Brink better than Brink). I'm still getting some graphical glitches in terms of lights leaving artifacts and flickering, but it's not a game breaker. Tac-lights are retarded and should be removed. The web interface is growing on me and makes it really easy to join with a large group via the party system as well as just joining your friends in game. Not being able to do any squad management is the worst decision I've seen them make so far though.

This game is no worse off during the beta than any of the other Battlefields. If you never played BF2 before release or think that this is somehow much worse, you are sorely mistaken.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited October 2011
    I'm enjoying the beta and can see A LOT of promising aspects.
    Same here. I'm going to buy it.

Also - Don't be a negative nancy, be like Jaap!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Already pre-ordered. Everything that I thought was meh was really just me being too used to the BFBC2 interface and handling.
  • there are already cheats and exploits.
    There's no cheat detection. DICE is currently monitoring all the hacks being used and will hopefully deliver an ass whooping once the game is no longer in testing.
  • There's no cheat detection. DICE is currently monitoring all the hacks being used and will hopefully deliver an ass whooping once the game is no longer in testing.
    Ooooohhh...using the beta that people will inevitably hacks to gather data on the hacks for when the game is released, clever girl.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm not being negative, I'm reporting what I find. If this is in fact Open Beta, and not a demo as it seems to be despite the name, they have a shit-ton of work to do in the two weeks between now and release. The reason I say Demo instead of Beta is that if it was truly a Beta, they'd be testing all aspects of the game, not one single aspect. To wit: there are no vehicles in Beta. Additionally, every person I have played with in my outfit online hates the external web-browser based game launcher. Seriously, there is no reason I should dump resources into another program on top of a hefty game just to play the game. External server browsers and game-launchers haven't been around since the 90's and don't make a shred of sense. If you have a friend system integrated into the game anyhow, there is no need for some external bullshit thing. EA's decisions have been so poor, that I'd not be surprised if they aren't planning to add other 'features' into their game plugin that starts to force you to use a browser they make themselves.
    I suppose the 'Oh, there's no cheat detection right now so we can watch the cheats' is an okay excuse, but I'm tired of being shot by people underground, in walls, or being shown a corpse sliding around with a gun firing as the person who killed me after I die.
    There is also no menu to change your loadouts, video/audio options, or controls outside of actually being in a round. I also agree that tac-lights are stupid and need to be taken out as they serve no purpose other than to annoy other players. I played in BF2's beta, and all I have to say, as I said before, this game better be pretty amazing, or it's going to fall very flat.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • If you never played BF2 before release or think that this is somehow much worse, you are sorely mistaken.
    BF2 became worse with every change they made to it. The beta was where it was at it's best =P
    (That comment ^ comes from the perspective of someone who likes arcade-y games and damns realism)
  • Wow, you all are a bunch of negative nancys. I'm enjoying the beta and can see A LOT of promising aspects. The guns actually feel nice to fire, the movement works really well (this game does Brink better than Brink)...
    QFT
  • edited October 2011
    Wow, you all are a bunch of negative nancys. I'm enjoying the beta and can see A LOT of promising aspects. The guns actually feel nice to fire, the movement works really well (this game does Brink better than Brink)...
    QFT
    The idea of the movement works well, but it feels like I'm standing on Vaseline most of the time. If I step to one side, I end up getting sucked back to the position I was in immediately later. I have a feeling this is heavily dependent on lag. Xbox 360 version is abhorrent and unplayable.
  • Xbox 360 version is abhorrent and unplayable.
    There is your problem.
  • I have a feeling this is heavily dependent on lag. Xbox 360 version is abhorrent and unplayable.
    I disagree. Some matches are utter shit. Most are fine. The game is really sensitive to what my computer is doing at the time. Overall I'm sold on the game, but I'll be playing RAGE/Batman Arkham City/Dark Souls* until the ful version come out. I can't keep playing the same map.

*Dark Souls is a maybe. I'd like to play a demo first.
  • I don't mind the web browser pre-game interface as it is much better than the the 360 interface. What I do not understand is why I can't customize my load outside of the game and why I can't access the option menu while I am waiting to respawn. Why do I have to spawn and find a place to hide before hitting escape to access the game options?
  • I don't mind the web browser pre-game interface as it is much better than the the 360 interface. What I do not understand is why I can't customize my load outside of the game and why I can't access the option menu while I am waiting to respawn. Why do I have to spawn and find a place to hide before hitting escape to access the game options?
    THIS. My outfit buddies and I are speculating that there will be some in-game menus outside of beta, but since information about post-beta has been practically zero, it's hard to tell.
    I'll note that I mentioned the 360 version because I was comparing it to the PC version. PC wins, not surprisingly.
  • Yes, the 360 version sucks ass. I'm trying to train up my mouse/keyboard skills with BC2 right now so I can eventually play this on PC but it's very slow going. Between finger issues and memorizing key mappings it has been a whole lot of death and very little killing.
  • Yes, the 360 version sucks ass. I'm trying to train up my mouse/keyboard skills with BC2 right now so I can eventually play this on PC but it's very slow going. Between finger issues and memorizing key mappings it has been a whole lot of death and very little killing.
    You're just
    On top of that, the unlocks are crazy unbalanced at the moment. M416? Instant death machine. Guess what every teenager with shitloads of free time to play the beta has?

Though, the first unlock you get, the shotgun? USE THAT FUCKER. It's wildly overpowered, and super useful once you get into the second part of the Metro map. Of course, that said, I've taken out snipers with the damned thing, it's fuckin' ridiculous - and I don't even have the slug ammo yet. Once you get the slugs, it might as well be a 12 gauge sniper rifle.
  • it might as well be a 12 gauge sniper rifle.
    Doom 2 style!
  • edited October 2011
    DICE confirmed there is NO in-game squad management. Everything must be done in the browser.
    Voice chat and squad control will also be done via the battlelog/browser thingie.
    There's an entire thread discussing canceling pre-orders.
    A bunch of Sturmgrenadier members have also also cancelled their pre-orders and are now taking a wait-and-see attitude to the game, if not outright negative.
    EDIT:
    Hilariously appropriate overhead map of Metro.
  • On Facebook they are pushing some battlefield branded razed controllers. Does that mean an Xbox style controller will be supported on the PC?
  • There's an entire thread discussing canceling pre-orders.
    Wow Adam, I've never seen a thread like this on any video game coming out EVER. :-p Fake outrage for the win! :-p
  • That map for Metro is spot on though. The first part of that map is a fucking slogfest. However, once you get into the subway and city, it totally kicks ass.
  • ... I was about to complain about the last phase of the map, but then I realised I was playing it wrong, most likely.

On the UI, it seems like a dumb person wrote a design doc, and then some competent people tried their best to make it as good as possible.
  • That map for Metro is spot on though. The first part of that map is a fucking slogfest. However, once you get into the subway and city, it totally kicks ass.
    Fucking oath. It's even worse when you get stuck with a poor team, as the other team had when I was playing the other night - And the opposing team is semi-competent. They can push forward far enough that you just get stuck in the spawn, and can't do shit - though of course, the best tactic to fix that is to just not spawn, and make sure your snipers are dropping radio beacons when they move forward, so even if they do push up and camp you, you can spawn behind and flank them, or rush back for the objectives.
  • Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention - the Beta is older than it seems, it's actually from a few weeks before the beta was released, since it had to be submitted to Sony and Microsoft for testing before they put it on PSN and XBL - the PC version is the same version, for god only knows what reason.
  • This is a pretty accurate representation of my experience with the beta.
  • edited October 2011
    This is a pretty accurate representation of my experience with the beta.
    I see his problem there, he's not using the bullshit shotgun - It's fucking mental, that thing, I've got nearly double the kills with that over any other weapon. And once you figure out the curve of the rockets, you can just massacre people from afar with it - I've rocket-sniped some poor bastards from across the second tier of metro, firing it from literally one side near A over, through the window of a train, and right into the door where all the dickheads going down the tunnel to B pop out - roughly where he's shooting at 3:25 in that video.

I must admit, I like the suppression assists, because you can fire all over the fucking joint at some bastard, keep his head down while your team-mate ganks him, and you get rewarded for that bit of team-play rather than just "You didn't kill anyone, too bad so sad."
    Also nice are that it rewards you for staying in the round till the end, so that even if you lose, you get a little extra reward, which is helpful - if a little grind-y - for people who buy it after every other asshole in the game is at level umpty hojillion, because you still have some slow progress forward in the ranks.

Also, one good but slightly annoying change is that when you shift to the next tier, all radio beacons - at least for the defending team - are destroyed, which means that you're not going to be able to drop one, wait to deploy till they're distracted, and then come in behind and tear them all to bits. People are not used to that - more than once, I've I ran along next to a dude for just under half the second tier of metro, and he didn't notice I wasn't on his team, since I was coming from and heading in the same direction.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2011
    I see his problem there, he's not using the bullshit shotgun - It's fucking mental, that thing, I've got nearly double the kills with that over any other weapon.
    Once you made a post about it I started playing around with that thing and right now I'm at 41 kills with it. :P In hallways it's bonkers.

Honestly though, there are just some weapons that are OP. The M416, MG249, 870MCS, PP2000, and the SVD/MOD11 with an ACOG seem to be the clear leaders. I got just my service star on my SVD and I'm on the way to getting it on the MOD11 and it's just throwing an ACOG on it and double-tapping people from mid-long range. I regularly get sprees of 10 kills in a row. People tend to follow others and continue to squad spawn when under fire, so it's like a chain of free kills if you can get the right angle. The ACOG prevents you from having a glare that's visible, and 4x is plenty for Operation Metro.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited October 2011
    Honestly though, there are just some weapons that are OP. The M416, MG249, 870MCS, PP2000, and the SVD/MOD11 with an ACOG seem to be the clear leaders. I got just my service star on my SVD and I'm on the way to getting it on the MOD11 and it's just throwing an ACOG on it and just double-tapping people from mid-long range.
    Don't forget the UMP - there's a wierd bug in the beta, that if you're moving, it's a good chance it'll kill you instantly with one hit, no matter if they drill you between the eyes, or graze your pinky toe. And it has this chance for every hit/round fired, on a weapon with a cyclic rate of 600 Rounds per minute.

I'm yet to get any service stars, because I suck shit at fucking everything to a fucking frustrating degree, but it is somewhat rewarding to move into second section where shotgun is king, and get cheap, bullshit kills on level 40-50 assholes who spent most of the initial slog murdering me instantly with UMPs, M416s(which shares the same problem as the UMP, as well as being way overpowered in it's own right), and sniper rifles, none of which I have access to yet. You'd know, I'm pretty sure I cheap-bullshitted you a few times last I was playing, in between cracking wise.
    Post edited by Churba on