This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battlefield

Comments

• If there is teamwork in this, I'm not often seeing it.
    So, just like a regular game of BF2 then?
  • So, just like a regular game of BF2 then?
    I don't know about that, once I filtered out some of the shittier servers, I started seeing a lot more teamwork in BC2. Squads sticking together, people helping each other out, picking other players up in vehicles, so on.
  • That was mostly to take the piss, but a lot of the servers I played on before I joined a clan had servers full of the typical plane stealing "one man army" types. This was of course back in the day when the game was new so I'm not too sure about the community now.
  • That was mostly to take the piss, but a lot of the servers I played on before I joined a clan had servers full of the typical plane stealing "one man army" types. This was of course back in the day when the game was new so I'm not too sure about the community now.
    Nah, it's pretty different now - All the "One man Army" types that were around then have mostly either fucked off to the next big thing, or learned better. Not to say they're not still around, from time to time, but no community is perfect, I guess.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah, the only time I ever One Man Armied in BC2 was on Rush servers where everyone was REALLY bad and I could just waltz through to the objective with my machine-gun.
    It's definitely the map. I think they are using an infantry-only mode in the open beta to sucker the CoD people, and the layout is kinda unusual. The game does feel a little off, but I think it's just because of how much BC2 I've played has made me hypersensitive to the weapon handling and such. After I switched around some of the controls, it felt a lot better.
    Also, it might be the players - I can't find any active servers if I turn on the Punkbuster filter, and I've seen a few people who have definitely downloaded their skill rather than worked for it, so to speak - I'm not just talking a little help, I mean some blatant shit, like spinning 180 degrees before shooting someone you shouldn't be able to see with a perfect headshot, and immediately spinning around and hitting someone else at 90 degrees to that with another perfect and instant headshot.

Oh, and it seems that the lure of a free game has taken all the COD kids away from their favorite game. If there is teamwork in this, I'm not often seeing it.
    Regarding the haxing, I think it might be that they are leaving punkbuster off so that people will hax and they can learn what hax people are using and police it more effectively later. Or something. I don't know how anti-cheating works from a technical standpoint.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited September 2011
    Until it's patched, you can play the closed beta map without putting in a password.

Open the battlefield thing in Chrome, hit ctrl+shift+J, and put in
    launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }
    Then hit enter.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I'm only playing this on 360 because I don't think my PC can give me a satisfying experience (year old).

Hopefully a larger map with vehicles will open up soon because right now I'm seriously thinking of ditching my pre-order.

I don't like the weapon unlock system. Seems like a way to drag out game completion rather than enhance game enjoyment. It wouldn't be as bad if both sides used the same weapons. Instead I unlock a mod for the most basic gun but I only get to use it if I'm on defense (or offense) but not both.

Is it me or do sniper rounds seem to move at a slower velocity than other bullets?

How is this a beta and not a demo? The game releases in three weeks.

Might be different on PC but the respawn weapon/kit selection screen is clunky. BC2 has a very nice and easy to use system, why break it?

Why add the K/D info to the scoreboard screen? This is Battlefield not COD. K/D is about lone wolf bragging rights while Battlefield is supposed to be about team play.

If I wanted to play COD I'd buy COD. I don't like COD except on single player when Infinity Ward is the designer.
  • edited September 2011
    How is this a beta and not a demo? The game releases in three weeks.
    Beta sounds cooler??? It allows them to make last minute changes too.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Beta is the new demo. Closed Alpha is the new beta.

Anyways, my PC is four years old and runs this game like a champ.
  • How is this a beta and not a demo? The game releases in three weeks.
    Beta sounds cooler??? It allows them to make last minute changes too.
    The game still hasn't gone gold, there's development being done on it. If you've played it for more then 10 minutes, you will have run into a bug, from not being able to ADS to falling through the world. Besides that, most of these betas are about load-testing. They need a lot of people to hit their servers at once. You could fake this, but it's expensive and unrealistic. Besides, it's a free opportunity to market, so that plays a bit of a part as well (why not right?).
  • You could fake this, but it's expensive and unrealistic.
    Not at all. It's actually inexpensive and much easier than it used to be if you take advantage of something like Amazon Web Services.
  • You could fake this, but it's expensive and unrealistic.
    Not at all. It's actually inexpensive and much easier than it used to be if you take advantage of something like Amazon Web Services.
    Would that give realistic load/usage pattern?
  • Would that give realistic load/usage pattern?
    If all you want to test is if the server side can handle the load, then yes. The problem with it is that it isn't going to help you test the client since all the machines have an Amazon Internet connection instead of crappy consumer connections.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't like the weapon unlock system. Seems like a way to drag out game completion rather than enhance game enjoyment. It wouldn't be as bad if both sides used the same weapons. Instead I unlock a mod for the most basic gun but I only get to use it if I'm on defense (or offense) but not both.
    That's the case for mods, because many(if not all) of the mods go by kills with that weapon. Weapon unlocks - as in, whole new weapons - apply no matter what team you're on.
    Is it me or do sniper rounds seem to move at a slower velocity than other bullets?
    They don't, but no bullets in the game are hitscan, they all move at different speeds, and are pulled down by gravity. However, it's most noticeable with the sniper rifle because of the range you're at - Though that seems to change daily, or even multiple times a day sometimes, they're still tweaking.
    Might be different on PC but the respawn weapon/kit selection screen is clunky. BC2 has a very nice and easy to use system, why break it?
    Yeah, it's a bit shit. Workable, but not as nice as BC2.
    If you've played it for more then 10 minutes, you will have run into a bug, from not being able to ADS to falling through the world.
    Also, when I was playing yesterday at least, punkbuster wasn't enabled, and there was some very obvious cheating, which is annoying as hell.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Beta is the new demo. Closed Alpha is the new beta.
    Does this mean the beta I downloaded is no longer the Beta and I have to download something else to get the beta?
  • I went ahead and installed the beta on my PC and it runs great however...

1) Is there an options/settings menu? On the xbox there is a load screen with options but I don't see one on the PC.
    2) FAQ page for what keys do what on the keyboard?

I almost never play mouse and keyboard but instead use a USB xbox controller. It's what I'm used to and what works for me so aside from a few keys I have no idea what does what in this game.
  • edited September 2011
    1) Is there an options/settings menu? On the xbox there is a load screen with options but I don't see one on the PC.
    Once you're in a game, if you hit Escape, it should show you the pause screen that has an options button.
    2) FAQ page for what keys do what on the keyboard?
    Not that I know of, other than looking under "Controls" in the options menu.

Also, I think I'm going to stop restraining myself when my teammate shines the fucking flashlight in my eyes. Just open fire, and "oops, sorry, I was blinded by the flashlight, and couldn't see if you were a friendly or not."
    Post edited by Churba on

• Also, I think I'm going to stop restraining myself when my teammate shines the fucking flashlight in my eyes. Just open fire, and "oops, sorry, I was blinded by the flashlight, and couldn't see if you were a friendly or not."
    agreed
  • Sure is beta around here.
  • Once you're in a game, if you hit Escape, it should show you the pause screen that has an options button.
    Oh, speaking off... who the hell thought it would be a good idea to make it so you can only change options while you've spawned. Or why can you only quit the game during a live game?
  • edited October 2011
    Oh, speaking off... who the hell thought it would be a good idea to make it so you can only change options while you've spawned. Or why can you only quit the game during a live game?
    That's a Beta only thing - the actual game will fix that. I keep telling myself "It's okay, the BFBC2 beta was just as bad, it's okay, it will be fine in the end."

Also, I educated someone on proper tac-light usage via a liberal application of shotgun to the face...And when I told them why I shot them in the face, they went "Oh, sorry man, I'll turn it off from now on, thanks". Goddamn near fell from my chair in surprise.
    And the laser is now called the "Kill-me-light" - because if you don't turn it off, you're real easy to spot and kill. Quite often, not only can enemies see the dot, if they're close enough and you're trying to hide, they can see the beam, too. Nothing like giving the enemy a handy pointer line to where you are.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I find that the tac-light is pretty useful in close range, especially in the subway tunnels. Up close that shit is blindingly bright.
  • I picked up a flight stick controller with a d-pad on top of the stick and numerous extra buttons. If I'm lucky Battlefield will correctly recognize it and I should be good. As an added bonus jumping into a chopper should be awesome!
  • Is it your left, right or both hands that give you trouble?
  • Now I'm pissed. I picked this joystick because it has a d-pad on top of the stick and the one button that Battlefield will not recognize? The d-pad...

I tried searching the net for information and either I get posts on the EA forum (that are never answered) or I get shopping results. I thought about just mapping the joystick to movement (mouse for looking) and mapping the buttons to frequently used stuff but now Bad Company 2 will not even go into single player without crashing. I have not tried this stick with the beta because I wanted to try it on the previous game first.

My pinkies and ring fingers are problematic on both hands.
  • There have been numerous problems with Joystick and Flight Control Keybindings in the beta. Right now you actually can't bind any keys that have not been already bound to a command. When you bind one thats already been bound, then that key does both of those things and theres no way to remove a keybinding so you're stuck with it or default.

This and this are forum threads petitioning DICE/EA to do something about flight controls, but after a teamspeak interview yesterday they stated that they won't make a change unless there is a large community demand.
  • Do I /have/ to install the Firefox plugin? That's not cool! Has anyone hacked that shit yet? That better not be in the final game! >=(
  • edited October 2011
    I got Battlefield to recognize the d-pad on top but it will only recognize one axis. As soon as I bind axis1X axis1Y will no longer register as a button and vice versa. The only time it will recognize the other axis is if I try to rebind the key mapping for the currently recognized axis1.

Does anyone sell a left hand movement controller with extra buttons for mapping common keyboard commands?

EDIT: What is really strange is that if the joystick is plugged in and I jump into a chopper it works perfectly. When I check the mapping the d-pad is fully mapped.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I find that the tac-light is pretty useful in close range, especially in the subway tunnels. Up close that shit is blindingly bright.
    If you're on my team, and standing shining it in my face, I'm still gonna shoot you.

However, if you flash it rapidly at someone shooting at you, especially up close, it can be quite disorienting.