This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battlefield

Comments

• Apparently you can customize your platoon's emblem.
  • Spacegun platoon ready!
  • Trogdor, I believe I need to be in your platoon. It is filled with awesome things.
  • SquadronROE is my name in Origin btw.
  • Also it looks like the FRC Platoon is gone, anyone want to remake it?
  • Installing the game now, if you want to add me the Origin name is Fast_Karate.
  • After reading about the HD pack on the 360 I went ahead and picked up a copy.

So far single player feels like Call of Duty. Not sure if it feels like Treyarch or Infinity Ward COD but...

Servers are all shit tonight but when I was able to play it was decent.
  • edited October 2011
    Also it looks like the FRC Platoon is gone, anyone want to remake it?
    I just did. No platoon emblem or anything else much yet, but I'll work on that. I'm not exactly an artist, either, so I'll probably just make another dinosaur kings emblem, unless I can figure out how to let someone else make one for me. Also, for some reason, it unlocks for me in about four hours - but oddly, I can't pre-load it. Kind of annoying.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Played for a few hours last night with my Sturmgrenadier buddies. The only down side I'm finding is that if you have a big group (~ten people), it's impossible to keep everyone on the same team. Groups seem to be simply broken, as does the invite/dropzone feature for groups.
    Graphics are rocking, firefights were intense, and I'm having a really good time.
  • Damnit. Above comment was me. Didn't check the log-in again.
  • edited October 2011
    Damnit. Above comment was me. Didn't check the log-in again.
    It's often amusing when you do that, because now I can just imagine Kate smiling, popping a perfect sniper shot from across the map, and just going "Boom. Headshot." in her southern lass voice.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The squad system is broken on 360 too. Even with just two of us in the live party we end up on different teams. This was a big gripe during the beta and i expected it to be fixed.
  • I played so much of this game last night. So far, I'm liking each map just fine. When I got tired of a map, it wasn't because the map was boring but because I was actually getting a bit worn out from the intensity of the firefights. I didn't get to try too many vehicles though, except for one epic moment in the Russian equivalent of a Huey.

I was testing out the minigun the first time I was in it, and an F/A-18 came flying by just as I was testing, intercepting my burst. I guess it must have hit somewhere vital, because I got credit for the kill.
  • I didn't get to try too many vehicles though, except for one epic moment in the Russian equivalent of a Huey.
    Look out above,
    Ahead and behind,
    When you thought you were safe,
    OH SHIT IT'S A HIND!
  • By the by, I'm Yoshokatana on Origin.
  • Multiplayer was playable last night. I was able to join with a friend and complete all but the last co-op mission (got late). We burned through them fairly quick on easy but flying the heli feels very different from the previous game.
  • I'm having major issues trying to fly planes. Haven't tried the helo's yet. It seems that every time I get in the air, the controls suddenly stop being responsive and the plane is all over the place. I remember back in BF2 I had to adjust a bunch of sensitivity controls and things before planes were something I could actually be effective with. I may have to do the same thing again unless I can rig the plane/helo controls to kick over to a 360 style controller.
  • Is there a 360 style controller that works on the PC for this game? I have a flight stick that is amazing (or was on the last game).
  • I'm having major issues trying to fly planes. Haven't tried the helo's yet. It seems that every time I get in the air, the controls suddenly stop being responsive and the plane is all over the place. I remember back in BF2 I had to adjust a bunch of sensitivity controls and things before planes were something I could actually be effective with. I may have to do the same thing again unless I can rig the plane/helo controls to kick over to a 360 style controller.
    I finally managed to get my hands on a plane, and I didn't have that trouble, though admittedly, I probably was wanting for three hands - One for throttle and rudder, and my right skipping between broad pitch and roll on the keyboard, and finer control for killing shit with the mouse. Some missles would be nice, too, frankly - Only having the 30mm cannon is kinda annoying.

Haven't flown choppers yet, but with my piloting "skills" in BFBC2, I don't think it's a good idea that I do.
  • Is there a 360 style controller that works on the PC for this game? I have a flight stick that is amazing (or was on the last game).
    Any 360 controller will work if you have the wireless dongle to connect it. They cost the same as a regular 360 controller, and work with any 360 too. Scott got mine for me for my birthday a couple of years ago. Now, I haven't attempted to make it work with BF3, but it works fine and dandy with Just Cause 2.
    My thing is I WANT mouse control on the ground, but I think 360 gamepad control would be better for flying...IF I can get it to work that way. TF2 did not like the controller at all.
  • Is there a 360 style controller that works on the PC for this game?
    Any wired 360 controller should work when plugged into a USB port on your computer.
  • I couldn't get my wired 360 controller to work on BC2 so I just assumed it wouldn't work on BF3. I do have the dongle (somewhere) but I thought if USB didn't work neither would the dongle.

I do know that when I had the flight stick plugged in and the mouse I could use either while flying (BC2).
  • edited October 2011
    I couldn't get my wired 360 controller to work on BC2 so I just assumed it wouldn't work on BF3.
    USB and the dongle both work with no issues. I didn't even have to bind the keys.
    My thing is I WANT mouse control on the ground, but I think 360 gamepad control would be better for flying...IF I can get it to work that way.
    I normally leave my 360 controller plugged in and grab it when I hop into a helo/jet.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Turns out I still can't fly choppers. Fuckin' rotary wing abominations.
  • edited October 2011
    Turns out I still can't fly choppers. Fuckin' rotary wing abominations.
    I've been practicing since the beta and just now I got to the point where I can stay up and not hit everything sticking out of the ground. My major downfall is that I seem to end up drifting towards things and over-correcting to get away from them.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited October 2011
    I've been practicing since the beta and just now I got to the point where I can stay up and not hit everything sticking out of the ground. My major downfall is that I seem to end up drifting towards things and over-correcting to get away from them.
    I'm kinda like that with jets - I'm pretty good at hitting things on the ground, and I'm really, really good in the sky - didn't get to them much in the beta, though, I just have a rough idea of how planes work, and that makes it easier to figure out what to do - and plus, I'm roughly familiar with a lot of manuvers that people don't even consider, like tailslides and yo-yos. Or even just a simple Immelman or Split-S.

It's always hilarious when you're dogfighting, shoot down the other guy after slipping neatly in behind him, and the first thing they do is go "WHAT THE FUCK" or accuse you of hacking in the chat. Then again, I can understand that - if you just saw a plane do this -
    You'd probably be going WTF too.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm roughly familiar with a lot of manuvers that people don't even consider, like tailslides and yo-yos. Or even just a simple Immelman or Split-S.
    I really like the jet throttle controls in this game. I'm certainly not a very good pilot but I can manage some sweet tail-slides.
  • Turns out I still can't fly choppers. Fuckin' rotary wing abominations.
    Bah, I've been flying Battlefield copters since Desert Combat, when not holding down the up button would make you fall out of the sky. These ones are the easiest to fly yet.
  • Some people need to learn to spot a vehicle before running towards it.

I killed three people in a row running towards the "empty" vehicle with me in the gunner seat.
  • edited October 2011
    Some people need to learn to spot a vehicle before running towards it.

I killed three people in a row running towards the "empty" vehicle with me in the gunner seat.
    Not to mention, on any server with teamkills turned on, for fuck's sake, don't run towards friendly vehicles unless they're slowing or stopping, because they will simply mow you the fuck down. Though, there was an amusing one, where a guy accidentally TK'ed 5 people in a row - because all of them were running straight down the middle of the runway to try and get the jet, and he ran them over.
    Post edited by Apreche on