This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battlefield

Comments

• I think the funniest thing I've seen happen so far was last night when I was playing on a SA server (Kentucky Fried Server, I think)..

We were playing 64-man conquest on Metro, and had just gotten control of the Ticket seller place, when one of my teammates types into chat "IT'S COOL GUYS I BROUGHT THE MORTAR" and I look around and the dude is running around carrying the mortar..

Also, on that Tunnel map, ever since the video of the dude flying the helicopter through the tunnel came out everyone wants to try that. Which is fine by me, because I figured out the SCAR can penetrate the front glass of the copter and take out the pilot.
  • Is that a real thing in the game? Because I would play the fuck out of a T-Rex gunship.
  • Is that a real thing in the game? Because I would play the fuck out of a T-Rex gunship.
    Knowing the battlefield players, it would spend most of it's time upside down in a ditch. Poor T-Rex.
  • Knowing the battlefield players, it would spend most of it's time upside down in a ditch. Poor T-Rex.
    I'm really annoyed by the fact that you can't practice flying on empty servers, as you can't move around until some minimum player count is reached.

• Knowing the battlefield players, it would spend most of it's time upside down in a ditch. Poor T-Rex.
    I'm really annoyed by the fact that you can't practice flying on empty servers, as you can't move around until some minimum player count is reached.

A flying mission in the campaign would've helped too.

• There is a flying mission, kind of. Well, I say flying mission. Really it was a point and click adventure.
  • edited November 2011
    Also, on that Tunnel map, ever since the video of the dude flying the helicopter through the tunnel came out everyone wants to try that. Which is fine by me, because I figured out the SCAR can penetrate the front glass of the copter and take out the pilot.
    Any bullet will go through the glass of a chopper or jet, though I've not tried on the attack helos.
    Knowing the battlefield players, it would spend most of it's time upside down in a ditch. Poor T-Rex.
    Reddit's BF3 community is there for you - they have Flying school servers which have gentleman's agreements of not murdering each other without agreeing to it first, at least, in the air. My favorite is the Reddit Australia Top Gun school, and the lag should be pretty good for you on that one - I often go and mess about on there with Joe boomer, Pangloss and Trogdor, when I don't fancy a serious game, just messing about.

Here are a few flight schools. If you want more, Just look for them by typing "Reddit" as the server name filter.
    Jierts Flight School Password - 5142

Reddit Australia Top Gun Flight School Password: Narwhal

ROFLtoast's flight school No password.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Thanks for that, Churba, I'll take a look.
  • edited November 2011
    Sturmgrenadier also has a server or two that has low population requirements and runs all the maps. If the servers have low populations, it's easy to hop in a jet or chopper and fly around a bit.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited November 2011
    All those servers have over 300ms ping to me. :(
    Post edited by Jakd on
  • edited November 2011
    Sturmgrenadier also has a server or two that has low population requirements and runs all the maps. If the servers have low populations, it's easy to hop in a jet or chopper and fly around a bit.
    Oh yeah, I've been meaning to check them out. I should do that sometime.
    All those servers have over 300ms ping to me. :(
    Don't trust the server browser's ping reporting - I've had servers which I know for a fact are in the same city as me(in fact, I've seen two of them in person) reporting 400ms for no rational or sensible reason. Aside from that, just try them out anyway. Two of them are US based, reddit Aus is based here, but Joe, Pangloss, and trogdor seem to have no problems with lag when playing on it.

EDIT - Joe Boomer is on the Reddit Aus server as I speak to you right now, and is reporting very little lag, certainly good enough to learn to fly.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Just because a server is in your city you should not assume a fast local connection. Look for servers where your ISP is.
  • Yeah, you're right, I'm playing on it now and it's running smoothly. Can you check your ping in-game? Because I haven't found out how yet, the only signs of lag I get are when everything goes jerky.
  • edited November 2011
    Just because a server is in your city you should not assume a fast local connection. Look for servers where your ISP is.
    I'm not 500 Meters from a local exchange, and My ISP has a main server or two in my city, the travel time to which would be roughly a bit less than an eyeblink. I'm told CDN services locally are pretty bitching too, and I'm pretty sure at least two major CDNs did a big update in Australia recently, expanding their network.

We've very little trouble with local connections here, but I do get what you're saying.
    Yeah, you're right, I'm playing on it now and it's running smoothly. Can you check your ping in-game? Because I haven't found out how yet, the only signs of lag I get are when everything goes jerky.
    I don't believe so at this time.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • BF2: I prefer playing the more tactical support classes but yesterday I gave the assault a spin.

Won a three on one fire-fight handily.

Buttocks.
  • "These modern games never require the same amount of skill as _X game from the 90s"
  • Wow, that helicopter was a slower target than the average skiier and in a straight line.

Tribes 2 was fucking crazy.
  • Tribes 2 doesn't have bullet drop.
  • Tribes 2 doesn't have bullet drop.
    True that gravity doesn't factor into it, but player momentum does. If you are zooming forward, look to your right, and fire, the spinfusor disc will continue traveling along your current trajectory as if you threw a baseball out of a car window.

This only matters for spinfusors mortars, and other slow weapons.
  • True that gravity doesn't factor into it, but player momentum does. If you are zooming forward, look to your right, and fire, the spinfusor disc will continue traveling along your current trajectory as if you threw a baseball out of a car window.

This only matters for spinfusors mortars, and other slow weapons.
    Yeah, same thing for RPGs or rockets fired from vehicles or while you are in the air in BF3.

• edited November 2011
    Okay, Why are we paying attention to the "Scott Talks shit about games he hasn't played" show again? I know the "Arkham Asylum is just shit bayonetta" episode was a good one, but it's the same joke again. The writers are just getting lazy now.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba, why do you watch drunk ducks, because its vaguely amusing. Though does get a bit odd after a while.
  • edited November 2011
    Churba, why do you watch drunk ducks, because its vaguely amusing. Though does get a bit odd after a while.
    You know, I've never seen a drunk duck. I've seen a drunk rainbow lorrikeet, but not a drunk duck.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I was in a game last night with a guy who was shooting TOW missiles around corners and hitting his targets. Reminded me of the movie Wanted.
  • You've no idea how appropriate that is, Churba. I'm constantly hitting my "Q" key to spot. CONSTANTLY.
  • Yup. I was on a map yesterday, and it seemed like no-one but me was spotting. Drove me nuts. It's free points, people!
  • I know, this has been annoying me too.
  • Hahaha, holy hell.