This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

Comments

• I'm sure other strings of the same material and size would work just fine. But for $5, I don't think you're really saving that much buying strings from someone else.
    That's true, but some guitarists prefer particular brands of strings over others - Some have different tones(even if they are the same size and materiel), some are more durable, so on, so fourth. Mate of mine swears by Ernie ball strings, another who is equally skilled swears by Snarling dogs, and yet another varies strings by which guitar from his collection he's using.
    I'll worry about being able to play at all before I worry about strings. It's the same with sporting equipment. If you're just a bum off the street, using Tiger Woods' clubs, Roger Federer's tennis racket, or Lance Armstrong's bicycle isn't going to mean shit. You have to up your skills a whole lot before the equipment begins to matter.
  • edited March 2011
    I'll worry about being able to play at all before I worry about strings. It's the same with sporting equipment. If you're just a bum off the street, using Tiger Woods' clubs, Roger Federer's tennis racket, or Lance Armstrong's bicycle isn't going to mean shit. You have to up your skills a whole lot before the equipment begins to matter.
    That's absolutely fair, and I wouldn't expect it to be otherwise. However, you are Both right and wrong on the point of the equipment mattering, in a way - Yeah, Putting Ernie Ball strings or Snarling dogs on your guitar isn't going to make you play better, but it will change the sound, which is part of the reason many use different strings for different applications or preferences. Also, The feel of the strings is a definite preference.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I made significant progress today, got all the way up to where it is trying to give me chord lessons.

Anyone have any advice on tricks to play a chord on just two or three strings without accidentally strumming other strings? If it's strings on the edge, it's easy enough to start in the middle and strum outwards. If I strum inwards, I almost always hit at least one string too many. If it's all inside strings, I'm fucked.
  • Mute the strings with your free fingers.
  • Mute the strings with your free fingers.
    How do you do that exactly?
  • Touch the strings that you don't want to sound very lightly with your free fingers; rest your fingers lightly enough on the strings that they will not clearly play a note, but cannot sound the open note.
  • Anyone have any advice on tricks to play a chord on just two or three strings without accidentally strumming other strings?
    The trick is to learn how to let your fingers rest on the idle strings so that they are muted when you strum all six at once. If you need to mute the top string, you can also hang your thumb over the top of the neck.
  • Touch the strings that you don't want to sound very lightly with your free fingers; rest your fingers lightly enough on the strings that they will not clearly play a note, but cannot sound the open note.
    So put my finger on the string such that it will absorb all the vibration, but not so hard that the string touches a fret and makes a noise. I got it.
  • Through the Fire and the Flames is coming to Rock Band with Pro-Guitar support. Now you too can play DragonForce just as well as the band themselves! Namely, not at all.
  • Through the Fire and the Flames is coming to Rock Band with Pro-Guitar support. Now you too can play DragonForce just as well as the band themselves! Namely, not at all.
    Still working on doing the easiest songs on medium, so we'll worry about that one in a few years. I wish they would give me Joco songs on pro. As Ro would say, that would be Pro.

Also, I'm kinda ok now at playing anything that is just single notes on normal speed. I only really get messed up when I have to make a big physical jump like from the top of the neck to the bottom. Once I'm in the right place, I can hit almost everything in the local area.
  • The bigger win to me is the Classic Rock Pack...

• Jefferson Airplane – “Somebody to Love”
    • Blood, Sweat & Tears – “Spinning Wheel”
    • Santana – “Black Magic Woman” (Pro Guitar/Bass!)
  • Still waiting on MadCatz to get their shit together and make more PS3 midi controllers. I could get one now, but they're $90 on Amazon, and I'm not doing that.
  • Progress update: I have blisters in my fingers!
  • Still waiting on MadCatz to get their shit together and make more PS3 midi controllers. I could get one now, but they're $90 on Amazon, and I'm not doing that.
    Huzzah! Finally back in stock and I'll have it soon.
  • Weirdest DLC Week too. It's awesome, but...Mastodon, Tommy Tutone, and the Ohio Players.
  • It's awesome... Mastodon
    FTFY
  • Real guitar people it's been two months, how goes it? Are you L337 guitarists yet?
  • Real guitar people it's been two months, how goes it? Are you L337 guitarists yet?
    Still suck, but still trying.
  • Still like it? Would you recommend it at this point?
  • Still like it? Would you recommend it at this point?
    If you have the determination to stick with it and actually use it every single day. If you let it sit there unused like your plastic fake instruments, you will have regrets.
    Well I've only been using it for a couple weeks since it took so damn long to get the MIDI adapter. And I was also just on vacation for a week, but I was pretty easily working through medium bass before I left.
    Still like it? Would you recommend it at this point?
    If you have the determination to stick with it and actually use it every single day. If you let it sit there unused like your plastic fake instruments, you will have regrets.
    Yes, you really do have to use it virtually everyday if you want to advance quickly. Also, having been gone for a week, I can tell that the callouses in my fingers have waned significantly, which is going to make the next couple days painful again.
  • edited May 2011
    Interesting that this thread was dredged up. I incidentally bought Beatles: Rock Band today because it was only like 8€. I think that's a fair price for 45 songs.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Still playing Rock Band...mostly because they can still release gems such as...

And Rock Band Network is picking up good stuff again, with the VVVVV and Super Meat Boy tracks. In terms of Keyboards, my favorite songs are Tweezer by Phish and Do You Feel Like We Do? (Live) by Frampton. FINALLY got 4 stars on China Grove...
  • Ok, so I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this real guitar business. Do I need to buy Rock Band 3 separately or does it come with the $280 guitar?
  • Ok, so I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this real guitar business. Do I need to buy Rock Band 3 separately or does it come with the $280 guitar?
    They're sold separately. And don't forget the MIDI adapter.
  • They're sold separately. And don't forget the MIDI adapter.
    Damn them and their cheapness. I already knew about the midi adapter. Order is placed, now I wait.
  • One last question, did it come with a guitar strap?
  • One last question, did it come with a guitar strap?
    Yes it did. Not a super nice one, but better than the ones that come with the plastic instruments.
  • Thanks for the heads up, Nuker. There really is some great recent stuff in the store. I need to play more Rock Band. I had just gotten comfortable with expert drums and now it seems like I haven't played in months. Hitting things is a good way to blow off some steam, too!
  • edited July 2011
    So, now that I'm actually earning some money, I'm considering buying a MIDI Drum kit that is Rock Band compatible so I can play Pro Mode, and also perhaps do some real drumming later on. I'm already searching on the right sites, but I wanted to ask if anybody from the forum is already doing this and what drum kit they use.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on