This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Shipment confirmed!

EDIT: Which matters very little when the PS3 midi adapter is still not available on Amazon :(
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Last night I met the guy who programmed the drivers for those guitars, and for the keyboards, for RB3.
    Did he tell you anything about how smooth the gameplay/learning experinence is?
    I thanked him for the keyboard, since it plays awesome.
    If you ever see him again, tell him thanks for the awesome guitar too! :D
    I saw him today, told him that, he said it was a lot of fun to make those drivers.
  • So what do you real guitar people think of the Squier Stratocaster after a few days. I'm seriously considering purchasing one.
  • So what do you real guitar people think of the Squier Stratocaster after a few days. I'm seriously considering purchasing one.
    Ask me after PAX. Mine just arrived in NJ. Should be at my house tomorrow night. I'll play with it Wednesday night, and then won't have a chance to mess with it again until after PAX.
  • edited March 2011
    Does anyone know what pickup this guitar uses? I'm guessing a humbucker.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Does anyone know what pickup this guitar uses? I'm guessing a humbucker.
    Duncan Designed HB102B Humbucking pickup with Alnico magnets is my guess - that's the ones they use in the other guitars they have with humbuckers, so that's what I'd figure on.
  • For a small bit of fail, you guys might have to pick up some picks, because I'm not sure if one comes with the case. So unless you want to play Bass...
  • edited March 2011
    For a small bit of fail, you guys might have to pick up some picks, because I'm not sure if one comes with the case. So unless you want to play Bass...
    The only Pick I need -
    (Yes, I know it wears out your strings quicker and can fuck up the finish on your guitar - but this is rock band, not prissy guitar fancier band. For an actual pick, I also recommend Dunlop Tortex picks, they're pretty decent, and nicely grippy - but, I'm not a regular player, so those better than me might have other choices. Also, I smoke, which kinda rules out Celluloid picks. Or scratchplates, for that matter.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It has arrived on my doorstep, but I won't be home until later.
  • 1) Real guitar totally works
    2) It's scarily perfect at detecting the location of your fingers
    3) It's a little flaky on detecting strumming. Maybe if I tune it, it will work better.
    4) I suck.
  • 4) I suck.
    Get used to it and just keep practicing.
  • 3) It's a little flaky on detecting strumming. Maybe if I tune it, it will work better.
    I am not completely sure about this but you can lower the box that goes just before the bridge to help you strum better, I had problems with the 6th string while practicing, I also need to get some finger caps.
  • Yeah, I've read the guitar needs some fine tuning. A bunch of people lower the strings so they don't have to press so hard on the frets. That might also help with your detection problem.
  • edited March 2011
    4) I suck.
    It's true. You've just got your first real six string.Bought it at the five and dime. Played it till your fingers bled, it was the summer of '69.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2011
    4) I suck.
    It's true. You've just got your first real six string.
    Actually, I played acoustic guitar and had lessons in 4th and 5th grade. I've forgotten everything.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • 4) I suck.
    It's true. You've just got your first real six string.
    Actually, I played acoustic guitar and had lessons in 4th and 5th grade. I've forgotten everything.
    And I used to play the violin, that all fell out too. If you don't use it...
  • Actually, I played acoustic guitar and had lessons in 4th and 5th grade. I've forgotten everything.
    I know - you've mentioned it before, thus the joke about Bryan Adams' "summer of '69" in the whited out text. However, I'd figure you'd forgotten everything, thus, I consider it a reasonably fresh start - You've got a head start, but not that huge of one, it's mostly just little bits you'll pick up easier because you remember. You're still gonna have to play till you've got blistahs on yeh fingas before you're rocking the expert mode.

What I'm interested in is how well it does actually teaching - or re-teaching - someone to play guitar.
  • What I'm interested in is how well it does actually teaching - or re-teaching - someone to play guitar.
    I think it is better than a book or instructional video series, but not as good as an actual instructor.
  • I think it is better than a book or instructional video series, but not as good as an actual instructor.
    I think, if you combine an instructor with using Rock band for a practice tool, you've got a winner of a combination there.
  • So, I finally figure out why it was recognizing a delay or the wrong string when I would strum, specially on the lower strings. I was strumming on the pickup, I was not suppose to do that I started strum on the pickguard section and everything is going pretty smooth. I gotta say as the lessons get harder, the more I go back the the beginning to practice some, I am also remembering most of them so I can do them on my own with the amp.
    This instrument is pretty cool :D
  • I couldn't get it to detect strumming on the highest string, so I kept trying and trying, and it broke. Guess I gotta replace it. Still didn't figure out why it wasn't registering. All the other strings register nicely.
  • edited March 2011
    I couldn't get it to detect strumming on the highest string, so I kept trying and trying, and it broke. Guess I gotta replace it. Still didn't figure out why it wasn't registering. All the other strings register nicely.
    That is weird, it register perfectly on mine, where are you strumming?

On the video, the guy is strumming very closely to the string mute @ 1:16.
    Luckily the manual tells you what kind of string one should buy. I would also recommend to get a digital tuner.
    Good luck, it gets a lot better. I was able to play "I love Rock & Roll" on easy on the weekend :D
    Also, I am pretty sure we made a good purchase since right now it is in pretty high demand at least on ebay :O
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Might as well buy a bunch of high e strings all at once while you're a it. They break pretty frequently and electric guitar strings are very, very inexpensive.
  • I couldn't get it to detect strumming on the highest string, so I kept trying and trying, and it broke.
    Yerfuckin'what?

While I can't say how hard you were hitting that string, one might suspect you could be just a wee bit more gentle on it.
  • I went to the music store next to the office and bought the strings recommended by the book. Replaced it no problem. I fixed the detection issues by elevating the pickup. I noticed that the high side of the pickup was further away from the high strings than the low strings. Now it is closer to all of them, and is detecting nearly perfectly.

Will probably buy a bunch of strings on Amazon, just because they are so cheap. I'll need them eventually.
  • I went to the music store next to the office and bought the strings recommended by the book. Replaced it no problem. I fixed the detection issues by elevating the pickup. I noticed that the high side of the pickup was further away from the high strings than the low strings. Now it is closer to all of them, and is detecting nearly perfectly.

Will probably buy a bunch of strings on Amazon, just because they are so cheap. I'll need them eventually.
    Out of interest, which strings does the book recommend?

Also, I wonder if anyone has experimented with other brands of string to see if it works any differently.
  • Out of interest, which strings does the book recommend?
    It says you should use Fender 250L nickel-plated steel strings size .009 - .042. It suggest that it isn't going to work properly with strings of a different size or material.
  • It suggest that it isn't going to work properly with strings of a different size or material.
    Interesting. I wonder if that's true, or if it's Fender getting people to buy Fender strings over other brands for their guitar. If anyone has any spare strings sitting about that match the material and size, it'd be worth a test.
  • edited March 2011
    Interesting. I wonder if that's true, or if it's Fender getting people to buy Fender strings over other brands for their guitar. If anyone has any spare strings sitting about that match the material and size, it'd be worth a test.
    I'm sure other strings of the same material and size would work just fine. But for $5, I don't think you're really saving that much buying strings from someone else.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2011
    I'm sure other strings of the same material and size would work just fine. But for $5, I don't think you're really saving that much buying strings from someone else.
    That's true, but some guitarists prefer particular brands of strings over others - Some have different tones(even if they are the same size and materiel), some are more durable, so on, so fourth. Mate of mine swears by Ernie ball strings, another who is equally skilled swears by Snarling dogs, and yet another varies strings by which guitar from his collection he's using.

If I learned one thing from doing a little time in England as a roadie/guitar tech for some metal bands, it's thus - Seriously, Guitarists can be really weird about this shit.
    Post edited by Churba on