This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• Damn, I would buy the last 4 things in this thread...
    Oh my god you've just wasted the next hour of my life. It doesn't even look like that's what you were going for, but the damage is done regardless.
  • I made this dino at NYCResistor.
    That's awesome! What is it made out of? Did you design it yourself?
    It's made out of laser cut Acrylic. I designed the whole thing, if you'd like you can download/look at it on Thingiverse.com.
  • It's made out of laser cut Acrylic. I designed the whole thing, if you'd like you can download/look at it onThingiverse.com.
    That's really, really cool. Do you do a lot of this kind of stuff? Do you have any other stuff to show? I'd love to see it. I really like when people make cool little objects. I've always wanted to do that sort of thing, but I've never really done it, outside of a very little bit of sculpting.
  • I made a bunch of stuff in Arts Education. But it was my first time seeing a design I made cut with a laser.
  • I made a bunch of stuff in Arts Education. But it was my first time seeing a design I made cut with a laser.
    Congrats, then. I just checked out your blog -- all of your stuff is really cool. You should post more of it in this thread.
    Congrats, then. I just checked out your blog -- all of your stuff is really cool. You should post more of it in this thread.
    Thank you, I've been posting one thing per day on my blog - before my New York visit, but I'll continue afterwards -, so I only posted the stuff I really like in this thread.
  • edited June 2009
    Kind of a shit day, drew this, feel better.

Reads from right to left.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Good depth on the eye-crosses. I have to admit that I can't really tell what's going on, though. Why does it read backward?
  • Good depth on the eye-crosses. I have to admit that I can't really tell what's going on, though. Why does it read backward?
    I meant to say it reads from right to left. It's mostly due to me being left handed so my drawings work from the top right corner and go across the page from there.
    I meant to say it reads from right to left. It's mostly due to me being left handed so my drawings work from the top right corner and go across the page from there.
    I understood what you meant -- I was just wondering why you did it that way. Like, if you did it that way because that's how manga's done. I see a surprising amount of amateurish manga-influenced webcomics that read from right to left. If you didn't plan this out, then I can understand. I'm left-handed too, and whenever I'm just filling up a page with sketches, I always start near the upper right. It's more comfortable.
  • edited June 2009
    Who's for letting this thread be used for both the concept sketch dump and finished pieces thread? It'll just keep things consistent.

Or: We could rename this thread "Art: Finished Works" and the other "Art: Sketches, doodles and works in progress.".

Drawn on a recent rather depressing day.
    The rainbow was directly inspired by Churba and Mrs. Macross.
    Also featured: Cat Robert Linden (Needed to test my alcohol pens), a test of how well I could draw using just a pen, flying fortress island and flying rabbits transforming into a cannonball to bust a hole through an airship.

Edit: By Robert Linden, I meant that guy Gunter uses for his avatar, can't find his name..

Oh, sorry @Funfetus, I do draw comics in columns going left to right sometimes. Also: Left handed high five! *PAP!*

An old commission from Katsu-con 2008, a very specific request for this guy's character. (The outfit and silvery bits of hair were all in the description.) Her name is Mary.
    I fixed some things I didn't like about the background and re-posted it.
  • Her name is Mary.
    I think I know her last name too.
  • edited June 2009
    @Omnutia: Cool stuff -- what kind of alcohol pens did you get? I was wondering how you did the color there. Also, left-handed high fives feel weird, because I never get to do them. :(

@Gomidog: Pretty good pic, overall -- nice shiny effect on the dress. A couple crits if you don't mind: Her left upper arm is a bit long. Also, the perspective is kinda all over the place -- do you use vanishing points, or perspective grids, or do you just kinda wing it?

edit: That leads me to a question -- how does everyone feel about critiques in these threads? Are you comfortable with receiving them? Would you rather not? Should we have a thread for artwork we want critiques on, and leave these for stuff we just want to show off?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Ro: Your work is awesome! Love it.

Funfetus: Man, I am so impressed! Your stuff is fantastic ... I especially love the latest post-apocalypse spread you did, I am a sucker for that stuff. As many others have said, if you make it, I will read it!

Gomidog: Hi Emily! :D The piece is awesome, I love the shoes, they really make the picture for me. The fact that they are cross-laced like that is such a wonderful detail.

Jain7th: Beautiful stuff! I gather that you're a student ... keep at what you're doing, you'll find work - and recognition - easily. Each of your explorations that I've seen has exposed more and more growth, it's exciting to see the development.

Misakyra: I am going to go to bed hungry. ~D: Drooling ...

I want to comment on everyone's individually, but I'm getting close to passing out ... FRC forums have some mega talented people, really exciting for me to dig through this thread.
  • edited June 2009
    @Funfetus: Pretty much the cheapest ones I could find. £20 for a set of twelve.

Criticism is all good, just keep it to the "This is the next thing you could do to improve:" variety and not the "J00 5ux LOL!!11" kind.

@Gomidog: Oooh, sparkly! Those elbows are a bit mismatched, like FunF said. Does the mirror extrude things that get put into it?
  • @Gomidog: Pretty good pic, overall -- nice shiny effect on the dress. A couple crits if you don't mind: Her left upper arm is a bit long. Also, the perspective is kinda all over the place -- do you use vanishing points, or perspective grids, or do you just kinda wing it?
    I did use vanishing points for the floor and mirror and stuff, but I tried to put the chair and desk at a slight angle and it ended up looking weird. (I kind of winged it.) I do okay with perspective as long as everything is lined up neatly at straight 90 degree angles, but once there are more than three vanishing points sometimes it doesn't turn out as good. (I need more practice.)

I'm totally down with critiques from people who are more advanced than I am. It's really helpful.
    @Gomidog: Oooh, sparkly! Those elbows are a bit mismatched, like FunF said. Does the mirror extrude things that get put into it?
    Extrude? It reflects, if that is what you mean. You can't see her hand, it has vanished up to the wrist and the mirror is reflecting her forearm.

I think it makes her arm seem longer that she has a hand on top of her shoulder (when I measured during the sketch, they were roughly the same?) But I'll try to fix it.
    Also, Omnu, if your going to participate in a crit, don't just repeat what other people say. People in animation class would get reprimanded for doing that, since they didn't add anything to the discussion.
  • edited June 2009
    @Gomidog: Well then, I apologize. When I said extrude, I was referring to the fact that her wrist is becoming much thinner and longer than normal.
    To expand on what FunF said, in the nearer arm, I think the gap between the muscles at the elbow joint is too long. Her elbow looks as though it is pointing straight down (As though the arms is going along a vertical plane perpendicular to the viewer.), instead of at an angle towards the viewer. This makes her arm appear to be flatter to her body than seems possible.
  • I'm totally down with critiques from people who are more advanced than I am. It's really helpful.
    Alright, awesome -- I hope you don't mind this example, then. :) (And by the way, I think even crits from people who may be less advanced can be helpful -- I know that sometimes, I forget about basic things when I ought to know better. And less advanced people are your audience -- if something looks wrong to them, it's wrong.)

Anyway:
    If we follow the lines of the floor and the wall, they all work perfectly, giving us our vanishing point and horizon line. If we follow the red lines from the mirror, they're not going to the same point. Unless that mirror is really crooked on the wall, they should hit the same point that the lines on the floor hit. Another thing to keep in mind is that since the horizontal blue line is the horizon line, we should be seeing landscape all the way up to that point. If you only want to show sky out the window, you need a much lower horizon line. I know exactly what you mean about losing it when things aren't all at right angles to each other. It gets pretty tough, and I'm still not exactly sure how to accurately figure out the distance between any particular object's vanishing points -- I just eyeball it. But the main thing is to remember that everything is still going to converge at the same horizon line, only at a different vanishing point, somewhere else on that horizontal line. Unless the object is tipped up or down -- then that object's horizon line needs to move up or down accordingly. Blah.

As for the arm, we can see from the purple lines that her shoulders are about level the horizon line, and her arms are at approximately the same angle. So her rear elbow should be about level with her front elbow, if not slightly higher to account for convergence.

I hope that helps. :)
  • Another thing to keep in mind is that since the horizontal blue line is the horizon line, we should be seeing landscape all the way up to that point.
    From my interpretation, it seems like the building is far up in the sky (goes with the quasi-fantasy theme of the piece), therefore it wouldn't be exactly necessary to see landscape through the window at all.
  • edited June 2009
    From my interpretation, it seems like the building is far up in the sky (goes with the quasi-fantasy theme of the piece), therefore it wouldn't be exactly necessary to see landscape through the window at all.
    Unless it's literally at the edge of a flat world, you'd see the the ground (edit: or the sea). That's how perspective works.
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks! The sky looked strange and I couldn't figure out why, but now I know! The mirror is easy to fix. Great!
    To expand on what FunF said, in the nearer arm, I think the gap between the muscles at the elbow joint is too long. Her elbow looks as though it is pointing straight down (As though the arms is going along a vertical plane perpendicular to the viewer.), instead of at an angle towards the viewer. This makes her arm appear to be flatter to her body than seems possible.
    See, now that's better critique. I might have sounded a bit harsh on you, and if I did, I'm sorry. This was kind of an ongoing thing in class with some people, and I think I might be oversensitive to it. (People wanted to say something but couldn't think of anything would repeat the crit of the person who went before them. It was like an echo.)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Beautiful stuff! I gather that you're a student ... keep at what you're doing, you'll find work - and recognition - easily. Each of your explorations that I've seen has exposed more and more growth, it's exciting to see the development.
    Thank you Ananthymous! Actually I'm currently working on getting into Art University. So I make one thing each day to get better. All my recent stuff is on my blog.
  • edited June 2009
    Ro: Your work is awesome! Love it.
    Thank you! If you want to check out my new project, I'm posting weekly image updates on my blog and daily updates on Twitter. /shameless self-promotion

@Omnutia I adore the cat in suit drawing.

@gomidog I love the fact that the girl in the pretty dress is wearing high top sneakers.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • From my interpretation, it seems like the building is far up in the sky (goes with the quasi-fantasy theme of the piece), therefore it wouldn't be exactly necessary to see landscape through the window at all.
    Unless it's literally at the edge of a flat world, you'd see the the ground (edit: or the sea). That's how perspective works.
    Clouds could block your view of the ground, though.
  • edited June 2009
    Clouds could block your view of the ground, though.
    If we're up THAT high, then yeah, they definitely could. In this pic, we can still see the little sliver of sky below the horizon line, though. Technically, we should see some ground/sea there.
  • edited June 2009
    Personally, I think it adds to the fantasy surrealism of the picture. Kinda reminds me of Braid.

@Ro: I'm seriously considering changing the characters I draw all over to anthropomorphic cats. There's this lady across the road from my house who did these really beautiful paintings of cats in sort of fairy fantasy scenes; Unfortunately, her cystic fibrosis has gotten so bad she can't draw any more but I might ask her to show me how she posed them.

Edit: RO! You changed your blog and didn't put a post on your old one to tell people!
  • @Ro: I'm seriously considering changing the characters I draw all over to anthropomorphic cats. There's this lady across the road from my house who did these really beautiful paintings of cats in sort of fairy fantasy scenes; Unfortunately, her cystic fibrosis has gotten so bad she can't draw any more but I might ask her to show me how she posed them.
    Aw man, that's too bad. Geez.
    As far as athrocats are concerned, I have too comic recommendations: Black Sad and Lackadaisy.
    I finally managed to make a good looking pattern. As for the blob-guy, I tried to have thicker lines flow nicely into thinner ones. However the texture might be a bit too visible.